Star Trek (TOS): Episode By Episode Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luke The Drifter, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Where there any insinuations of property in LTBYLB?
    That's the only possible connection I see.

Darryl

2. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

So I bought the Blu-Ray, and it really is terrific, BUT: it seems to me that the audio is slightly out of sync. Anyone else notice this?

3. woody

woody Forum Resident

I was watching The Deadly Years the other night and thought a few shots had audio sync issues. I think one was with the female crew member as she is aging.

4. Which audio? The original mono or the 5.1? I seem to recall a slight issue with synching for the 5.1.

5. No as I recall it was the fact that each considered the other subhuman (well, tech ically they weren't human but you get my gist)

6. woody

woody Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it was the 5.1.

7. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident Thread Starter

#72: That Which Survives

Original Air Date: 1/24/69

Stardate: Unknown

As Kirk, McCoy, Sulu and geologist D'Amato beam over to a geologically unique planet, a woman suddenly appears in the transporter room and, with but a touch, kills Transporter Chief Wyatt. They're not quite sure who or what she is. They also find themselves unable to contact the Enterprise, which has been flung nearly a thousand light years across the galaxy. The woman soon re-appears, both on the Enterprise and on the planet. While the landing party faces extermination from this mysterious woman, Scotty works to prevent destruction of the Enterprise from a subtle malfunction administered to the warp engines.

A woman who lures men and kills them with her touch (The Man Trap), which is a weapon left by an extinct civilization (Doomsday Machine), created by a computer run amok (too many episodes to list). The original story for this episode was by the great D.C. Fontana (under a pseudonym). It would be interesting to read the original treatment, and see if something less derivative was there. This episode (and many more) can be summed up in five words from the Captain: "Spock, the computer! Destroy it!"

Personal Rating: 2 Stars

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    benjaminhuf likes this.
  8. Luke The Drifter

Trivia:

After D'Amato dies, Kirk uses his phaser to dig a grave for him. This is only the second time on Star Trek where a crewman is buried by the landing party on a planet, the first occurring in The Galileo Seven. Usually, dead crewman are returned to the ship.

Lt. Radha, is both the first obviously Hindu person (the bright red dot on her forehead, known as a Bindi) to appear on the series, and the first Enterprise helmswoman to appear on the series.

Lee Meriwether (Losira) was a former Miss America and played Catwoman on the Adam West Batman Series.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  9. Luke The Drifter

10. Luke The Drifter

For ST:TAS? I had understood that the vocal tracks for the Animated Series were attached to the terrible music for that particular series. It would be great if that is not the case.

11. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I had thought you were referring to the music from the original series.

Separating the vocals from the animated series sountrack might be problematic. (I'm sure the vocal tracks exist somewhere though.)

12. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

That Which Survives.

Not sure it should have. Another weak third season entry. Haven't had the urge to watch it in years, but maybe I'll give it a spin with my teen son.

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That Which Survives
    Jeff's overall rating for the episode: 2
    Jeff's overall rating for Losira: 4

benjaminhuf likes this.
  14. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Regarding ST:TAS, I've always really liked the music used throughout. Sure, Filmation re-used some of that same music on their other animated series of the time, but they were a low-budget outfit. I first heard the music in TAS while watching TAS, so it always takes me back to TAS even if I hear snippets of it in other Filmation 'toons.

What someone really needs to do is create a new Star Trek animated series utilizing new, young voice actors, and utilize some of the best TAS stories combined with brand new original adventures. I'd kill for a new animated version of Star Trek that tried to do it right - great story/writing, voice-acting, music/animation. A serious, story-telling adventure show for both young fans, and geezers like myself. :p

Can you imagine a re-telling of Yesteryear? That would rock. Can you imagine a bold new adventure? That would rock harder.

15. Luke The Drifter

I agree with everything you say. BUT, for those of us who desire more than the 79 episodes of ST:TOS, there is a way to approximate those episodes that exists right now. ST:TAS was written by the original writers. It was voiced by all the original actors except Chekov (who wrote 1 episode). The video game vocal tracks were also set during the Original Series time frame, and voiced by the original actors. To ST:TAS detriment, the animation was poor, and the scores did not sound like ST:TOS. The video games were never released.

With today's technology it is possible to make Year's 4 & 5 of the original 5 year mission. Then they could continue on with a new series if they liked with voice duplicates. But many of us REALLY want them to take these vocal tracks and stories and make Trek episodes that are as close to the original as possible.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    wayne66 likes this.
  16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

2 stars is about right for me as well.

Definitely derivative, Dreary looking visuals, Dirge like dialog and acting.

Ultimately disappointing.

17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Glad to see more Sci-Fi channel special editions.
    I had thought they stopped early in the 3rd season.

Darryl

18. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

It is amazing to me to realize that 2 seasons of original Star Trek is just sitting around gathering dust. The original animated series ran for 22 half hour episodes. Bring the surviving cast back together to expand the episodes to 1 hour. Then reanimate the episodes to a more realistic style. That is year/season 4. Then use the computer games from the 1990s that featured the original cast. 25th anniversary edition(7 episodes) Judgment Rites(8 episodes, possibly 10 since 2 are quite lengthy) and the unreleased Secret of Vulcan Fury, Dorothy Fontana who wrote that story says there were 5 stories to that one, maybe more. Around 22 episodes for the 5th year/season. There is a person named Robert England who is making animated Star Trek episodes on YouTube. These episodes feature the voices of the original cast. The computer games from the 1990s seem to be the main source for these episodes. The episode is called Beyond Antares. He is still working on it, but there is about 23 minutes up on YouTube. It is quite good. I would love to see professional animation combined with his story. Mr. England says he has about 17 episodes done, he just needs to animate them. That takes a long time. I really want to see the original cast do this. Nobody can play Captain Kirk like William Shatner. Same with Leonard Nimoy and the rest of them. Eventually, they will not be around to do the voicework. CBS or Paramount needs to do this for the 50th anniversary in 2016. Sooner rather than later. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Can you post a link to these, as I'd love to see them.

Darryl

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

22. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I am not sure how to post a link. It is on YouTube. It is called Star Trek Beyond Antares. The creator is named Robert England. Right now he is two thirds of the way through it. It is about 23 minutes long. I like his work with audio with the original cast. If CBS would hire him to do the stories, then CBS could hire the best animators to do a realistic animation style. Mr. England says that he has a lot of unreleased audio from the original cast doing their Star Trek characters. I do not want to derail this thread, even though I think of the animated episodes as a continuation of the original series.

So back to season 3. That Which Survives is interesting to me. Spock is in command while Kirk and McCoy(and Sulu) are on a planet. I like Spock's humorous(unintentional for him) responses when the crew members make comments to him. Example: when Uhura asks Mr. Spock what happened to the ship, Spock explains in very technical terms that he hit is head on a chair.

23. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

24. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Here it is. I muddled through it. See post above this one.

25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Wow! That is pretty cool and very fun to watch....:)

Thanks !

wayne66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.