Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I stray sometimes from the Davis/Boston Sibelius but always return to it.

2. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Departing from my usual symphonic fare, this is on the turntable tonight. Some great playing by Helmuth Rilling, Walter Kraft, and some other folks. I especially appreciate the Frescobaldi pieces in this 5 LP set.
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass and bluemooze like this.
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ya know, there are days when my head just needs something 'non-intrusive' to listen to and for some reason ten other day, I decided to dig out this box set and I popped in Disc 17 and it was wonderful. I've had the box for six years and never quite listened to much of it. I am sorry that it took so long for me to rediscover in my collection. It was actually recommended to me by WNYC DJ Clayelle Dalferes after a brief email exchange about Jacqueline Du Pre...after I saw that movie....that a lot of people seem to dislike. :)

I've always enjoyed the sound of a warm, romantic cello. It seems as if this set really fits that bill. Of course, I just learned that EMI re-issued the same set two years ago with ONE extra track that they FORGOT in my 2008 set. It seems that the Classical world is not immune to the same type of screw ups that are found in the pop world. :)

image.jpg

Mr Bass, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  4. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Looking in the deadwax, these discs were mastered by Rudy Van Gelder, and Sam Feldman…no wonder they sound great.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It appears Herreweghe made at least 3 recordings of Lassus' works. I have two of the CD's but n0t this one ...

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I've only ever once been in someone's house who owns a grand piano. He played some things for me, and it was far louder than I would ever listen to on my stereo.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 1/Haydn - Piano Concerto No. 11" performed by Martha Argerich with the Wurttembergisches Kammerorchester Heilbronn conducted by Jorg Faerber on DG CD.

[​IMG]

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

^
    My God, Martha was gorgeous...:love:

bluemooze and trumpetplayer like this.
  9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just put on HvK's Sibelius 1st from the EMI Mega-box. First listen.

Joe071, bluemooze and Rose River Bear like this.
  10. john greenwood

I have that set. The only problem I have is the amount of duplicated repertoire.
    If you can find a copy of the video of "The Trout" with Jackie, Itzhak, Pinchas, Zubin and Daniel B. - it was released on DVD, but I think it's OOP - I heartily recommend it.

Edit - maybe not.

http://www.allegrofilms.com/film/Fr...rlman_Christopher_Nupen_music_documentary.php

Hawkman likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

HvK's EMI remakes of the 4th and 5th are awesome.

Mr Bass and EasterEverywhere like this.
  12. john greenwood

I'll give them a listen soon.

What did he have against the 3rd?

13. coopmv

The original Piano Babe ... :righton::winkgrin:

bluemooze likes this.
  14. coopmv

This is the box I have

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Better than 20 years ago, my wife bought a used 5 ft.-something Yamaha grand as a second instrument for her studio. The piano store, as is (or at least used to be) common practice, included a first tuning in the price. Turned out to be a bit less than promised, however; the tuner who was sent out was very old and could no longer hear the highest frequencies, so he tuned the top four or five notes to the same pitch (not right for any of them). When my wife found out and called to complain, she was told, "Oh, don't worry about it--nobody ever uses those keys anyhow!" :rolleyes::yikes::crazy:

There hasn't been a home stereo built that can compete in power with even a medium-sized grand piano. Living with both gives you a real appreciation for the limits of recorded sound in replicating the "real McCoy."

john greenwood, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Who's the organist? I was going to add, "I hope not that dreary Robert Kraft," when I saw...

Uh, oh.... :ignore:

ToddBD likes this.
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

We had a Steinway "C" from the 1930's in our living room with nothing going on in the bottom octave and an octave just above middle "C" where the hammers were damaged by a coffee spill. It was eventually bought by a real pianist and properly restored.

Collector Man and bluemooze like this.
  18. coopmv

Rainer Oster. Michael Murray is also an awful organist in my book ...

19. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying Debussy's first book of preludes, in this superbly open transfer by Ward Marston for Biddulph records. I compared the sound to the most recent EMI Anniversary Edition and the EMI lacked the sparkle of the Biddulph. The EMI also had some extra bass that added some warmth, but also took away some of the clarity found in the Marston transfer.

2 used copies of this long OOP CD can be had for under $16 on amazon right now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  20. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Back in the 60's it was recognised that a grand piano was the hardest musical instrument to faithfully record with any sense of realism. ...
    Reported by the U>S Stereo & Hi Fi review magazine ( in 1965 or later)- (1965 was the year I first brought and read the mag): They produced an article where they sent a technican into concert halls - during rehearsals and after gaining permission to do so - for instance - when concert pianists were practising and 'testing out' the ascoutics and surroundings for a coming concert or two. Using sound meters and top microphones they checked the sound levels naturally registering in various parts of the halls.
    One striking point remains in my memory. Recording the second page of the piano score of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata from one pianist .... taking a sound check sample leaning over the edge of an upstairs balcony he registered a staggering 110db!
    No doubt it would sound absolutely perfectly natural, when an audience was also 'in place'.
    Yet none of us can imagine listening to such sound levels (if one had speakers that would stand that capability-constantly) in one's own home. Even at 90 db...listening to some piece- things are getting what one would call "a little wild".
    40 years ago when I was atrue Hi Fi freakie for huge massive sound reproduction capacity...I learned the lessons of driving speaker systems super hard with massive brute force power amps. I;E "Cooked tweeters...cooked bass units............!!!"

John S and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

But were you listening to rock music forty years ago when you blasted the daylight out of your speakers?

22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I think the artwork with it's nod to the HMV,not Angel "Greatest Recordings of The Century" is cool.

But I have all the British pressed Angels,and early Columbia LPs.I'd never buy something like this.

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Was playing CD 6 from "The Vivaldi Recordings" performed by Christopher Hogwood and The Academy Of Ancient Music on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Il Cimento Dell 'Armonia E Dell 'Inventione Op. 8.

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 6 from "Love, Revelry And The Dance In Mediaeval Music" performed by Millenarium on Ricercar.

[​IMG]

ToddBD likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition" performed by Evgeny Kissin on RCA.

Also, Bach-Busoni - Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C/Glinka-Balakirev - The Lark.

[​IMG]

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.