Is it just me or Led Zeppelin (or rather half of the band) were simply bad too many times LIVE? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Yep, seriously. Traffic was popular but leaned toward the cult following side, had music that was somewhat sophisticated without being extremely complex, and appealed to the psychedelic crowd. So did the Jeff Beck Group, they just weren't as popular. And certainly were not viewed as a band that was there to back up a guitar wanker.
    What I have read about Jimmy Page is that he had a sound in mind, but it wasn't one that copied other bands. If he was going for a sound like the JBG and Vanilla Fudge he sure failed, but fortunately stumbled upon something far superior in trying.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Go ahead. I've just seen so much better. Didn't say it sucked.

3. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

He was amazing but the group did nothing for me. Sing song style and occasional fantastic guitar from Eddie.

4. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

Thank you. (Have you found any examples yet of Page's early session work that sounds like Led Zeppelin?)
    Here's an interesting assessment of how much Beck influenced Page, excerpted from: http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/yardbirds2.html
    The primary focus of the article was songwriting credits. I removed most of those comments, since we are not talking about that here.

"...The Jeff Beck Group took the Yardbirds' formula to its logical conclusion, i.e. loud and hard psychedelic blues mutating into what we now call heavy metal...They recorded the very first heavy metal album, Truth. Released in August 1968, Jimmy Page was to use his ex-bandmate's album as a veritable blueprint for Led Zeppelin's debut. A track by track comparison of Truth and Led Zeppelin I is an intriguing process. Both albums had a reworking of a Yardbirds' song. The Beck album opened with a roaring, albeit less effective, version of 'Shapes of Things.' Led Zeppelin also used a Yardbirds' song, 'Dazed And Confused.'...Both albums (Truth and Led Zeppelin I) also contained a traditional English folk song. Beck's LP had a lovely acoustic arrangement of 'Greensleeves.'...Page, on the other hand, showcased his companion piece to 'White Summer.' The song was called 'Black Mountainside.' It is credited solely to Page, yet humorously enough it is a centuries old tune...This contrasting of heavy songs with light acoustic numbers was to become Led Zeppelin's trademark. Yet the Jeff Beck Group did it first and to better affect...Interestingly, Jeff Beck's solo debut contained a rock 'n roll interpretation of Ravel's 'Bolero.' Entitled 'Beck's Bolero,' the piece came from the aborted 1966 supergroup session that had found Beck, Page, John Paul Jones and Keith Moon collaborating. Page provided some propulsive acoustic rhythm work upon which Jeff Beck overlaid stinging lead guitar...To this day, Beck insists he came up with the arrangement. After all, it wasn't called 'Page's Bolero.'...Truth also contained a version of the Muddy Waters classic, 'You Shook Me.' For some reason, Page also decided to include this song on Led Zeppelin's first album...Jeff Beck was less than enthusiastic upon hearing Led Zeppelin's demo. With Truth still on the charts, he was unable to understand Page's decision to record the song for Led Zeppelin I. As recounted in the Led Zeppelin biography, Hammer Of The Gods, Beck's eyes teared with rage as he demanded, 'Jim, why?' Page just shrugged sheepishly, unable to explain why he wanted to upstage his former bandmate."

You can disagree with the opinions stated here, but it's hard to dispute the facts.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    BDC likes this.
  5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The facts are that both guitarists came from the same band, both went on to do other things. Both did an album with the same song on it at the same time. And that Jimmy Page was the key member of a band that many view to be the greatest hard rock band to ever exist, and the band that started that kind of music. Jeff Beck,.... not so much.
    Everything else is at best conjecture and opinion.

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It sounds like you've heard more Vai than I have, I heard one song once and that was enough for me - I don't like shredder music. As far as what I like - I like all the greats, including Jimmy Page! T Bone Walker, Albert King, BB King, Jeff Beck, Ry Cooder, J.J. Cale, Larry Carlton, Alex Degrassi, Mark Knopfler, Pat Metheny, David Gilmour, Fripp and Belew, Lowell George, Mike Campbell, Todd Rundgren, Steve Howe, Steve Hackett, Brian May, Leo Nocentelli, Larry Carlton, all the studio guys on Steely Dan albums, Sonny Landreth, David Lindley, Michael Landau, Glen Tipton, Duane and Dickey, Curtis Mayfield, etc. I could go on an on - I'm a big fan of quality lead guitar.

This Heat likes this.
  7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

My apologies to Hubert Sumlin. Check out Hubert ripping it up!

8. 3ringcircus

But...you previously stated "What I have read about Jimmy Page is that he had a sound in mind, but it wasn't one that copied other bands." Truth was released 5 months before Led Zeppelin's debut.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I fail to see the significance.

10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Occasional? Eddie was great back in the day and in fact revolutionized rock lead guitar playing. His high water mark is considered to be the Fair Warning album and he is all over that one with all kinds of weirdness and awesomeness. I remember how Blackmore used to diss Eddie back in 70's because Blackmore was afraid of Eddie. Recently I read some older interview where Blackmore admitted he was a fan, but when Eddie first appeared on the scene Blackmore was running scared. Eddie was one of the very few game changers in the history rock guitar playing and that cannot be overestimated. Unfortunately, his legion of imitators were and continue to be endlessly annoying in their suckitude. Atomic Punk guitar track:

zen, inperson and ShawnX like this.
  11. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Beck-Ola. The heaviest album from that time period I think.

Brilliant!

3ringcircus likes this.
  12. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Don't misunderstand me please. Yes he was great but I just thought he deserved a better band.

13. old school

old school Senior Member

Truth is not the first heavy metal album. You are completely wrong! 'Dazed and Confused' is a Page and Holmes song wrong again. My opinions are stated on here very clearly so I don't need to go over them again. But your opinions are a mumbo jumbo of what you think and I disagree with everything emphatically.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I've read Blackmore saying good things about Eddie but have found no evidence of him "running scared." Blackmore enjoyed his greatest success with Rainbow long after Van Halen's emergence.

old school likes this.
  15. 3ringcircus

Actually, that was the opinion of the writer of that article...and I am in complete agreement with you.
    It was Vanilla Fudge's debut album, released a year earlier, August 1967.

16. old school

old school Senior Member

No it was Black Sabbath in 1970!

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I wish I could have seen LZ live....

18. old school

old school Senior Member

When I saw them on there first American tour at the Rose Palace in 5/69 they were incredible for sure. And I saw them again in 6/72 at the Long Beach Arena which was recorded and became ' How The West Was Won.' So I never saw a bad Led Zeppelin show. They were at the height of there powers when I saw them, so I was lucky and can't relate to the people that saw bad shows.

eddiel likes this.
  19. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Blackmore was making negative comments about Eddie in the press when the first album was getting acclaim. Things like "All he can do is play fast." etc. Maybe he was just pissed that Eddie was getting all the attention, but he changed his tune later. I forgot to add Ritchie in my list. :D I was way into those Rainbow albums until RJD left. I almost saw Rainbow on the malfunctioning rainbow lighting rig tour, but the rainbow lighting rig malfunctioned.

20. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Led who?

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Maybe he just thought that all Eddie did was play fast, and then came to appreciate him somewhat later. "Running scared" seems like hyperbole to me.

22. procco23

procco23 Forum Resident

This particular solo was mentioned earlier in the thread and I pulled it out as I hadn't heard it in ages. For the flashy, showy Page from 1975 I'm digging it!

I love listening to Zeppelin live because there was a recklessness about them that reminded me of having a few beers or whatever and jamming with friends. Sure, there may be some open strings clanging in a solo, or Jonesy may get lost in Kashmir while Plant's voice cracks on the high notes, but they weren't playing it safe, or at least, that's the way it appeared to me. There were signposts in the jams for sure (like the riff in this clip bringing the band back into the vocal after the solo; that riff plays under the solo on the album but it's great to hear isolated like this) but in between anything could happen.

Solo from 2:26 - 5:51.

Trapper J and Aghast of Ithaca like this.
  23. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

Blackmore saw VH for what it was....flash guitar, keg party band.

24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It was more like Blackmore saw that his time as the reigning guitar god of the day was over and he was now a relic of history, so his ego was hurt.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  25. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

Not to mention 10 minutes of drunken slathering between tunes. Really want to compare Dio's writing and vocals w/ David Lee Roth? Blackmore didn't give a **** when Yngwie came on the scene and he sure as hell wasn't intimidated by a flash guitarist (EVH). Rainbow continued for many years while VH was around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.