Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Towards the end of Boult's career, he had a true golden summer of recording ,able to show his abilities had not declined. In one article when interviewed though, he mentioned how the record companies had totally ignored him for a complete decade in his advancing age . Then ( just as we have seen the results) wanted him to busily record numerous item after item.
    He mused how he thought he could have given even bettter results if having being asked to record in that particular 10 years in question, he was referring to. Still ,we can be fully content with what he gave us.

kevinsinnott, ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

And some of them were recorded in the great Kingsway Hall. His Holst's The Planets are the true benchmark. The foundation stone on which all other versions are then compared and considered.

ToddBD and kevinsinnott like this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I find him slightly less dissonant than the Bartok at his least dissonant, but much less dissonant than Bartok when he's in an atonal mood.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I found the HIP Beethoven Symphonies lack the necessary punch for certain movements ...

Joe071, Mr Bass and ToddBD like this.
  6. coopmv

And there are many CD's in the following set that were recorded by Boult. I am not quite half-way through the set yet ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  7. coopmv

I have not been paying much attention but no doubt a good number of CD's in the following set were recorded by Boult. I am just about half-way through listening to this box ...

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Incredibly beat up but the following was my first ever classical music LP, circa 1974 by John Barbirolli, who is also well-known for his interpretations for Elgar's works ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, mkolesa, Joe071 and 2 others like this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - Mahler Das Lied von der Erde, Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen and Symphony No. 5 from the following box for a first listen ...

BTW, my box is the original EMI box, not WarnerMusic ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, mkolesa, Joe071 and 2 others like this.
  10. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Beethoven collection ...

[​IMG]

11. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

In my dad's very small collection there was a blue label Angel LP of Barbirolli conducting Elgar's Introduction and Allegro, Serenade for Strings, and the RVW Fantasia on Thomas Tallis and Greensleeves. All very good performances.

Mr Bass and kevinsinnott like this.
  12. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing on the turntable…
    [​IMG]

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Boult's Westminster recordings are all outstanding too.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Was just playing this.Not my copy,mine has a cover that isn't peeling.

[​IMG]

Have other Janacek,but this was the only one I could easily get to right now.Recent Hasting's purchase.I can't believe how fast this $0.99 and $1.99 vinyl is being depleted at Hasting's around here.At a couple of the stores 40% of the used LP bins are empty.:yikes:

bluemooze, Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

This being one of my favourite "Sinfonietta" (and "Taras Bulba") recordings.....

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Rounding off this all-slawonic early afternoon with another replay of these masterfull Martinu interpretations...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

I`m not a dedicated Karajan follower at all, but his recordings of Sibelius 2 (coupled with 5, both recorded 1960 and released as part of the "Karajan Collection" series) with the Philharmonia Orchestra offer a suprisingly punchy and straight forward approach making these (for me) to special, probably even standout Sibelius interpretations ......

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  20. coopmv

I have to dust off the Dvorak Symphonies set by Vaclav Neumann and give some of the symphonies another listen ...

Soulpope likes this.
  21. coopmv

Time for some baroque vocal works, now playing the following CD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

A great Dvorak cycle with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra in top form.....

23. coopmv

I think the Neumann's set should stack up quite well against the set by Kertesz IMO ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, J.A.W. and Joe071 like this.
  24. coopmv

This CD includes an eclectic selection from various Handel's operas/oratorios ...

[​IMG]

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Sonatas for Piano and Violin 5, Op.24; 8, Op.30/3; 9, Op.47 - Maria João Pires (piano) and Augustin Dumay (violin) - 3 CDs, DG; the sound on this one is considerably better than on the Kempff/Schneiderhan DG "The Originals" set I listened to earlier.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.