Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion - Come Dance with Me (released 1959)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Nov 15, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Not that I recall, Martin, but my synapses often don't fire nowadays.

MMM likes this.
  2. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Bob, Matt, Martin, and the rest of the Sinatra Crew:

I know you've all got your hands full with the various sound quality threads, but would any of you -- Bob, you strike me as being the most inclined, fwiw -- be interested in consolidating all of the photos whose recording sessions have been identified, either into a separate thread or elsewhere? I don't necessarily mean every session photo, but maybe just one or two representative images (like the 'Just in Time' lead sheet and the clock photo above, for example). I think it would be great to have that all in one place as a resource.

Bob: I realize you did sort of do this over at the SFF with the "50 years ago today" and "the early Capitol years" threads, but it seems to me that since that time you all have been able to identify, with much more precision, what photos belong to what sessions.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  3. MLutthans

From the Come Fly with Me thread:
    Holy cow, I think the Come Dance with Me album (included in full in this 2-fer LP package) is even better. I am floored. The Come Dance LP is cut at super-hot levels, and I'm getting a little sibilance in spots, but aside from that, this is absolute perfection. Sorry to wax rhapsodic, but I've never heard this album (Come Dance with Me) sound this good.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Wow, Matt. That's quite an endorsement. Does it make you want to revive your assessment that the recording was poorly done and/or that FS had a head cold at the sessions?

5. MLutthans

No and no. Still sounds wonderful, though, despite the lopsided, gi-normous hole in the middle stereo sound and the Gay Talese-worthy vocal tone quirk. (I'd still love to hear this album remixed to mono without all the mono sludge, but I'll take this stereo LP in the meanwhile.)

rangerjohn likes this.
  6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You can sort of hear that for one track on THE RARE SINATRA, with the alternate of "The Song Is You".

bozburn, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  7. MLutthans

I've posted some brief clips from this German LP. (All clips fall well within the time window of those freely available to sample on iTunes. No music being given away here.) Have a listen: https://app.box.com/s/ngi602t9por62t18ycaw

8. rangerjohn

Very nice, indeed, Matt. I need to compare it with the Dell more carefully.

I love your fades between the songs. It makes the sampler sound like the background for a commercial promoting the album!

MLutthans likes this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

rxcory, jtaylor, OldCoder and 2 others like this.
  10. MLutthans

MMM and rangerjohn like this.
  11. MLutthans

rangerjohn likes this.
  12. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hanging in the hallway at a certain recording shrine in Hollywood:

[​IMG]

kennyluc1 and MLutthans like this.
  13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I see someone has a slight preference for Nat over Frank... ;)

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

MLutthans, jtaylor, MMM and 2 others like this.
  15. MLutthans

Here's an unusual variant on this album:
    $T2eC16VHJGwFFY-SmV)bBRb8TJ1ZtOg~~60_57.jpg

A Danish stereo EP set. Cool!

Also: Has anybody ever heard this Dutch pressing? Looks like late 60's vintage, maybe???
    $(KGrHqRHJDIE8gGzY7wNBPMYYwdrcw~~60_57.JPG

MMM, bozburn and rangerjohn like this.
  16. MLutthans

I picked a super-clean D2/D1 mono cut in a local shop, and am listening to this now, and getting reacquainted with the oddness of the mono mix. Such a weird mix! Too much reverb, and on some tracks, Frank seems to be fighting for center stage, semi-buried. :crazy: Plenty of limiting going on during the cutting, as well. Maybe this is where the term "mid-fi" came into common parlance????

EDIT: Just compared a track from the D1 side to a segment that @bferr1 sent me from the UK LP (Millennium Edition???) that came out a few years ago, and that later mono LP trounces this original one. (I'm still not gaga about the mix, but the presentation is clearly superior.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  17. MLutthans

I'm just going to throw this out for discussion, at risk of ridicule and embarrassment: Any chance the Millennium mono LP is a fold-down of the stereo mix???

18. MLutthans

Here's an update on an old, old topic:

Way back in the last decade, member GregW submitted a clip from a stereo LP that had an apparently defective, withdrawn stereo mix, in which the vocal reverb appeared in the right channel only, so every time Frank sings, the reverb kind of trails off to one side.

I picked up a D4#2/D7 stereo LP, and both sides contain this defective mix, so it's a safe bet that any cuts with a matrix number lower than those would also have the withdrawn mix.

Does anybody know if this mix ever made it to any stereo releases in foreign markets?

19. rangerjohn

I've really enjoyed bferr's transfer of that pressing. Is it actually possible that a reissue effort like that would resort to a fold-down!?

20. MLutthans

Yeah, I went through and A/B'd a few tracks, the Millennium tracks vs. D2 mono. Same mix, definitely (no fold), but the Millennium tracks have much more treble, which really gives a different, more hi-fi feel than other versions I've heard, while also bringing out the vocal and (oddly) seeming to diminish the reverb somewhat. Some would probably argue that it's too goosed on the top end? Regardless, it's definitely different from that not-so-hot D2 sound!

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

At first blush, the MILLENIUM LP stands out being much superior, and I can see people choosing it as best for the mono version. I tired of it though - it sounds too "wrong" to me. Reminds me of the situation with the Norberg CD of the album for stereo.

I usually play a D7 LP if I want to hear the mono, which I usually don't. It's still midrangey/echoey/harsh, though I still find it more engaging, even though it's not that hi-fi.

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ IIRC, the Millennium LP struck me as being too bright.

EDIT: I see Matt already covered that two posts up...

23. MLutthans

Soundwise, where mono mixes are concerned, A Swingin' Affair ----> Come Dance with Me: Same studio, both very brassy, recorded two years apart, but a huge step backwards in terms of sound quality. :cussing:

Bob Belvedere and MMM like this.
  24. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I would even argue Come Fly With Me (mono) falls close to CDWM on that spectrum. :(

25. MLutthans

Yes, as bad or worse. Good point.

It strikes me as odd how A Swingin' Affair is very high quality (mix-wise), then the mono mix of Where Are You is pretty good, CFWM in mono really stinks, and then Sings for Only the Lonely is top-notch again, followed by the awful CDWM mix. Very inconsistent.

rangerjohn likes this.