Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff Thread Starter

2. Teddy Novaks

Teddy Novaks Forum Resident

Lets hope I have no reason to bother any puppies...

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hog balls! Getcher hog balls! :yikes:

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

This might end up being the longest thread ever. The Endless River or Post indeed!

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

hmm... rivers are made of water... water -> Waters?

J/K

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You're Wright. Are Division Bells are mounted on Masonry?

Nikoline and canine sapien like this.
  7. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

We'll be up to Part 11 by the time it comes out.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. Spacement Monitor

The sound resounds around the icy waters underground.

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

This thread would be 90% shorter if you took out all the "Roger HAS to be involved!!!!!!11" posts.

kolive, petercl, pablorkcz and 6 others like this.
  10. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

See, Syd already knew what Waters' personality would become. :D

(Just kidding, dkmonroe, Waters is da best!)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  11. Spacement Monitor

And the mountain oyster references. :rolleyes:

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's not so much just the few people who suggested that it would be nice if he was involved, but also the others who insist that it can't and shouldn't happen. Takes two positions to have a debate, even a silly one.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

For a while, it seemed as if Gilmour had walked away from the game, drawing the curtains on any “new” Pink Floyd releases and quitting while he was ahead. Now, it’s certainly not unheard of for older bands to go back to unfinished recordings and doctor them up for release, but if these recordings were truly vital, I’m still wondering why they didn’t go back to them while Rick was still alive. Do they really merit a separate release as the final Pink Floyd album, sitting alongside such classics as Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here? Time will tell.

Truth be told, I'm not all that bothered about whether or not Waters is involved with this project. It’s hard to imagine how he could fruitfully interact with the band, such as it is, within the predetermined framework of these old “Big Spliff” tapes without having his contributions sound tacked on. I guess that what frustrates me as a fan is that, for a while, it seemed as if the whole Pink Floyd reissue campaign had run aground. They handled the three big blockbuster releases from the 70’s and then there was no further word about additional archival releases. Then we heard about the Division Bell box set and now this related release—this is the version of Pink Floyd that they’re choosing to highlight now, but for me, this is the least compelling edition of the band (apart from maybe the post-Wall Wright-less period). At this point, these projects seem to be taking the oxygen away from any further potential archival projects. We know that the band is ambivalent about some of the earlier stages of their career, to the point where they seem to almost want to sweep it under the rug, but honestly, I’m a lot more interested in hearing rare live cuts, bbc sessions and outtakes from the band when they were coming into their own, not so much tinkering with latter day jam sessions. It feels like Gilmour is effectively asserting the primacy of his Floyd over (what is for me) the real deal.

TommyTunes, Pete Puma, Oliver and 2 others like this.
  14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

We covered everything in the old thread. This is going to be a long four months.

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Why hold this release to such unreasonably high standards? Wouldn't it be great to get a new record along the lines of The Division Bell? It doesn't come close to those classic albums but I still really, really like it!

He has been doing this since AMLOR so why should now be any different? He was obviously inspired to resurrect these tracks and start working on them about a year ago and that's what inspired the release of the 20th anniversary edition of The Division Bell. The whole Why Pink Floyd? campaign and Immersion releases had nothing to do with him, it was a record company project. He's obviously not interested in reissues or releasing live recordings (like the BBC sessions). Maybe he'll change his mind somewhere along the line. This is effectively the first Pink Floyd project/release that he's been involved with in 8 years, since PULSE came out on DVD.

24voltsdc, Shak Cohen and bhazen like this.
  16. Tristero

This is almost surely the final Pink Floyd album. They could have just included this material in the DB box set, much like the Stones have with doctored Exile/Some Girls tracks, but they intentionally chose to underline this material with its own stand alone release. Naturally, this gives the project much more attention, but it also draws more scrutiny and higher expectations. Will it measure up even to the later standard set by the Division Bell? We'll see.
    That's fine. If this is what he wants to be working on, more power to him. As long as they continue to produce quality archival releases from the old days, I've got no reason to grumble, but I suspect that we won't be seeing any more of those for at least the rest of the year. The label probably isn't interested in muddying the waters (no pun intended) by having this new release compete with the old stuff. Will they ever continue the archival program or have we gotten all that we're going to get?

17. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I don't think the band cares too much for their pre-Dark Side catalog save One of These Days and Echoes. They pretty much disown it all. Can you imagine them dusting off "Corrosion" or the Moon landing thing (are they the same?) much less the Zabriskie Point outtakes? I don't think so. This is MHO on why the reissue campaign is over.

supernaut likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Fans would have also been screaming that these new tracks were being held hostage forcing them to buy an expensive box set, just like ELP did by including the surround mix of BSS only in the big box. This option would have been much worse than an independent release.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think that Mason has a soft spot for the Barrety years and I would love to see a tribute release to Syd as well.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

21. Tristero

I daresay you're correct. It's another glaring example of artists not necessarily being the best critics of their own work. Surely there are many others out there who would welcome such releases. Is it really so hard for them to put these things out and take our money?

Free Moonhead!

22. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

After the disaster of AMLOR, Gilmour actually came up with a reasonably interesting record because, of course, the court of Hague would have to judge him and his fellas for crimes against humanity if they close the career of one of the best bands in the history with something like AMLOR. But, in 2014, years and years after it, he decides to release material from a discarded side project under the band's name... Maybe Hague would have to have a conversation with him after all.

Bolero likes this.
  23. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Indeed! Glad this back in stock. Hoping mine comes soon. (Ordered May 29)
    Also,very much looking forward to a new PF release.:agree:

24. :laughup: Does this make me Dr. Frankenstein?:angel:

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. How many posts for "It would be nice if Waters was involved"? :nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.