How To Tell If Your Beatles Stereo Box Is A Fake

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by linclink, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

No. They were in the right boxes.

A couple of other things I noticed that may or may not be like yours (or like the real deals):

No embossed lettering on The White Album. Just "The Beatles" written in gray lettering. And it doesn't slip in and out of the outer case very easiliy.

Black lettering over the dark part of the Apple logo on the discs is unreadable.

No track listings on the Past Master discs.

2. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

Yes.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Most B&M's are selling these around $200. To save around $100 people are willing to risk a fake, what sense does that make?

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amazon has (or had) them this morning for $130/each shipped. That's directly from Amazon, so they are assuredly genuine.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Or even if they are not genuine, Amazon will refund your money.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I actually picked up a pile of the Chinese knock-off remasters in Vietnam last year for around US$2 each, knowing they were fake.

I've given most of them away but I had "Revolver" on my desk just now and noticed all the spelling errors. Paul McCarimy!

7. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Just a warning. Don't buy from the Amazon marketplace seller LA Multimedia. I just got a fake stereo box set from them. They have agreed to a refund. Some of the typos was hilarious though, so alteast I got a laugh out of it.

8. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Are there fake copies of the individual cds circulating? (on ebay, amazon, etc.)
    I'm a little cautious about buying from some Chinese sellers.

9. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I just heard back from Amazon and they say I need a written proof from the manufacturer that it is a fake. Does anyone know who I should contact to get a written confirmation like that?
    Has any of you been asked this?

10. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Has there ever been an official statement from official sources about the counterfeits?

11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I just bought a fake stereo box from a private person through an internet auction !!!
    What shall I do ??? I tried to contact him - no response !!!
    I contacted other people who bought fake stereo boxes from the same seller some months ago...I don't know what to do...I don't want a counterfeit box with spelling errors and bad printing quality in my collection !!!

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you bought it via ebay? Have you paid via Paypal? Then put in a claim. You'll get your money back. As long as you used Paypal you are covered.

The sooner you do it the better so as soon as you read this thread put the claim in! :)

If you paid via credit card but not paypal you can try calling your credit card provider but you won't have to do that if you used paypal to pay for it.

13. sathvyre

Thank you for reply. I didn't pay through Paypal, cause the seller didn't offer a PayPal account...I paid through regular bank transfer instead...
    I checked many sources and got in contact with other buyers who bought counterfeits from exactly the same seller this year...there also was a trial this year (as I found out when I researched), but the seller seems to have a very good advocate and became acquitted...very strange...
    Other buyers told me that they sent their fake boxes to EMI as a proof of existence...maybe I have to talk to my bank first, then inform EMI and maybe I have to make a report at my local police office...

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I would tell the seller that if he doesn't refund the money you'll file a police report. He might give your money back.

Good luck. I hope you get your money back.

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I went through this with a seller of a counterfeit Herb Alpert BEYOND. The seller refused to admit it was a fake and refused a refund. Fortunately I DID use PayPal, submitted evidence of the fakeness, and was awarded my funds.

But I had threatened all kinds of legal action, reporting to the RIAA - nothing shook this seller.

But I had the last laugh - in order to justify the refund, PayPal had me submit the info about mailing the package back. But the seller stupidly wouldn't provide me with a correct address, so the thing came back to me THREE TIMES. I finally gave up and kept it - and the money.

But now I see the seller is back on eBay, using the same old handle, and selling the same counterfeit item - and still getting $80+ n for it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herb-Alpert...170901642534?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item27ca881d26

Harry

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I had a seller on eBay try that on me once. He sold me some crap electronics--not what was described. I tried to return them. He ignored me. I got PayPal involved and he said "sure, send them to this address..." So I sent them...and they eventually got returned as undeliverable.

I showed the evidence to PayPal that I'd shipped to the address he'd provided and they refunded my money and I got to keep the stuff...

17. sathvyre

I wrote many mails to him, telling him to inform EMI and the police etc...no reply.
    As I know now, he sells the fake boxes since around one year on different places in the internet and he's got trouble in the past, but he always sell the fake boxes over and over again...why is there no way to stop him ??? EMI is a big record company and they know his name (other buyers gave the seller's name and address to EMI) but nothing has happened...very strange...
    I will ask eBay about a possible money-back option. As I didn't pay through Paypal, but by regular bank transfer, it will be very hard I think...

18. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That's strictly against eBay rules. You cannot sell on eBay and refuse to accept PayPal. Contact eBay and they'll boot him off for it.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Exactly. I think you can still report it being a fake after the auction has ended as well.

20. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Don't want to rub salt int he wounds,but highly counterfeited item + bank transfer is basically a guarantee of fraud.

Not sure you are going to be able to do anything, I'm sure EMI and the the appropriate people know and I'm sure somewhere maybe years down the line they will pop on this guy and bust him, but that won't do much to help you.

Lesson learned.

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

That has not been a rule on eBay for about 4 years now. They tried to force paypal for a few months and the class actions started and they backed off.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Mine is definitely a counterfeit — purchased in 2009 — but what consolation I have is that in comparing the actual disks to a friend's genuine copy, the sound is identical. Glad I saved the money, in the long run.

23. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Really? You would rather have a cheaper, pirated and fraudulently sold copy than the real deal? Better to just download, at least the fraudsters aren't directly benefiting then.

Tim

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

No, not really, but it is what it is & I didn't know it was a fake until it was too late to take action. Can't afford to replace it either.

25. Troy

Troy New Member

Hi guys and gals. Bumping this thread. I recently came across this awful news about the fake box sets and as helpful as some of the info on here has been, it's all still a little sketchy. I think someone needs to go through every album and give a detailed list of what each one 'should' look like. Rather than saying "if there's this wrong here or that there". I would do it, however I think I too have a fake European box set. But it's not like anything anyone else has described. Hence why an album by album description of what should be there would be helpful.
    What I have done however (should it be of any use) is written down every piece of info from the centres of each album from my set.

Before I list them though I will say the only two things that raise my suspicions are the fact that non of my albums have the vids on. Something I brushed off thinking well theres a DVD with them all on, so why duplicate them. I assumed that was the way it was. The second issue was; when I placed With The Beatles in to my computer to rip it. The tracks were in a completely different order to the album sleeve (can anyone confirm this happening to them?).

Ok so manufacturing info;
    Please Please Me: ifpi L573 / 3824162 / IFPI 9746 / A970140-01
    With The Beatles: ifpi L573 / 3824202 / IFPI 9730 / A970147-01
    A Hard Days Night: ifpi L573 / 3824132 / IFPI 9744 / A970136-01
    Beatles For Sale: ifpi L573 / 3824142 / IFPI 9727 / A970135-01
    Help!: ifpi L573 / 3824152 / IFPI 9705 / A970137-01
    Rubber Soul: ifpi L573 / 3824182 / IFPI 9727 / A970142-01
    Revolver: ifpi L573 / 3824172 / IFPI 9703 / A970141-01
    Sgt Pepper's LHCB: ifpi L573 / 3824192 / IFPI 9705 / A970145-01
    Magical Mystery Tour: ifpi L571 / 3824652 / IFPI 9727 / A970139-01
    The Beatles Disc 1: ifpi L573 / 3834532 / IFPI 9746 / A970153-01
    The Beatles Disc 2: ifpi L573 / 3834542 / IFPI 9743 / A970153-02
    Yellow Submarine: ifpi L573 / 3824672 / IFPI 9727 / A970149-01
    Abbey Road: ifpi L573 / 3824682 / IFPI 9705 / A970133-01
    Let It Be: ifpi L573 / 3824722 / IFPI 9707 / A970138-01
    Past Masters Disc 1: ifpi L573 / 6967642 / IFPI 9743 / A972902-01
    Past Masters Disc 2: ifpi L573 / 6967652 / IFPI 9746
    Mini Docs DVD: ifpi L572 / 6994499 / IFPI 9749 / D973061-01

And for the hell of it, (because I'm scared all my discs are fakes) here's the BBC and Submarine Songtrack.

Yellow Submarine Songtrack: ifpi L574 / 5214812 / IFPI 9746 / AC64584-01
    Live At The BBC Vol 1. Disc 1: ifpi L573 / 3749156-1 / IFPI 9754 / AD28911-01
    Live At The BBC Vol 1. Disc 2: ifpi L573 / 3749156-2 / IFPI 9754 / AD28911-02
    Live At The BBC Vol 2. Disc 1: ifpi L573 / 0602537491759 / IFPI 9746 / AD28214-01
    Live At The BBC Vol 2. Disc 2: ifpi L573 / 0602537491766 / IFPI 9743 / AD28214-02

Any confirmation on my discs as to authenticity would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.