What happened to Guy Ritchie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

In my opinion, "Snatch" is one of the greatest movie ever made. Absolute genius. Hysterical. Anyone know, or have a theory, why Guy Ritchie hasn't really made anything as memorable lately? I'm really hoping for a big comeback for Ritchie, anyone who could have written and directed "Snatch" is capable of more great films.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Rock n Rolla was great, no Snatch though, but has its moments. The success of Sherlock Holmes in the U.S. put a damper on all things cockney. Have you seen Revolver lottsa mention of Macca in it ?

Mechanical Man and ellingtonic like this.
  3. alexpop

What happened to chadbang ? :)

Gumboo and Ghostworld like this.
  4. Q: What happened to Guy Ritchie?
    A: Madonna.

:D :hide:

5. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

More importantly, what was Guy Ritichie thinking, when he remade the 1974 Italian classic Swept Away? He knew hew could not duplicate the durability and endurance of Lina Wertmuller's original version, so why even think about bothering?

Regginold31, scobb, alexpop and 2 others like this.
  6. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Here's the second-best film Guy Ritchie has made...

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I love Snatch, but I guess I'm the only one who prefers Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?

[​IMG]

Jeff

8. alexpop

Pity he doesn't want to work with b-movie supremo Jason Statham again.

9. alexpop

What happened to this thread ? :)

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Seems like Matthew Vaughn stole all his thunder!

shug4476, tommy-thewho and wayneklein like this.
  11. alexpop

That he did, and some. :)

tommy-thewho likes this.
  12. Indeed and Vaughn continues to grow as a director doing interesting work.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  13. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Movie + involvement with Madonna=disaster! ;)
    I found "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" almost as funny. I think these movies were made by a director with his own style and humour and now he seems to choose for the glamorous life of sequels and remakes (The Man From U.N.C.L.E is in post-production).

GMfan87' and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Why do I think this us going to be failer?

Yovra likes this.
  15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

You're not the only one. I love that movie! "I'm not 'avin' any more fruit off you, Tom. You call that fresh? There was more small 'airy armored things than fruit on it."

Regginold31, Greg Gee and levi like this.
  16. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just saw the casting list and Hugh Grant, Henry Cavill and (a rumoured) David Beckham will star. Not Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman or Mark Strong (to name a few). I will be a smooth affair and will just as smoothly disappear from the big screen....

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Mathew Vaughn's - Secret Service looks to be promising.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Did well for himself with Sherlock Holmes.

GeoffC likes this.
  19. I first learned of The Hire almost by accident when three episodes were hidden on a cover disc I bought with some gaming magazine years ago, and for years I had no idea that BMW had actually commissioned another "season" before this, including the one directed by Guy Ritchie. Soon after discovering that, I was lucky enough to find a DVD of the whole series and subsequently impressed my other half, who rates these even higher than the Transporter films - they really are that good (especially the car stunts of Hostage, plus I just love James Brown in Beat The Devil)! For those who've never seen them, I'd recommend tracking down a copy or checking out the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL49A1B22886A6A215

DementedAvenger and SMcFarlane like this.
  20. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Lock, Stock is definitely my preference too. I do love both films, however.

Regginold31, alanb and levi like this.
  21. Ghostworld

'

Last time I checked I didn't see any responses. I thought this thread had gone quietly to the big by-and-by! I guess the answer is he was done in by Sherlock Holmes and now is more concerned with producing big Hollywood films than crafting small, quirky cockney humor. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. It's sad. What if Sorsese had made "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver" and then decided to direct "Transformers 5" instead of "Raging Bull?" To me, it's a waste of talent. Someone kick his agent in the privates for me. Do you want to go down in the annuls of film as a true auteur or a franchise hack? I see where Ritchie is headed at this point, even though he started off as fresh new voice. And if the Man from UNCLE bombs, he won't find work again!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    alexpop and levi like this.
  22. alexpop

Not if he needs the money ( to make movies/ American success )after the Madonna divorce pay-off. There was talk of a Rock n'Rolla 2, but that got nixed due to the success of SH in America, pity.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  23. Ghostworld

Never saw Rock n'Rolla. Must see that today! He had to pay Madonna? Why the hell would you have to give Madonna money. Support? Jesus!

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

No the other way about :) Madonna believed he cheated on her hence divorce quickie ( she payed). Also check out Revolver.

25. Ghostworld

"Revolver" Hmm. Great. Another film I'll be interested to watch! Thanks,man.

alexpop likes this.