Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That would be a different, probably later, performance as it's on RCA, not Columbia.

2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Right you are. I need better glasses or a bigger screen. :oops:

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The Wit/PNRSO Tchaikovsky 3rd is my favorite on record.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Hey, I just noticed this: the complete Pentatone Wagner operas on SACD to be released in September. It's a hefty investment but not unreasonable for 32 SACDs and 1 DVD ... any views on whether these recordings merit the investment?

6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I've only heard the 5th, but I want to check out the rest as the entire cycle has been well received.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Unfortunately, Judith Nelson is no longer with us and she formed an excellent partnership with Emma.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Outside of the novelty of having the entire Ring cycle on a USB in two formats with other goodies, can any of you comment on this version?? I realize that there are more historic and more highly regarded version but I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the Ring cycle. I'm kinda tired of only being familiar with bits and pieces of it. :)

[​IMG]

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Does that include video? I tend to think that Wagner needs to be seen as well as heard. More than most, probably.

10. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I admit I didn't appreciate all his recordings, but this one I felt was quite special, even perhaps definitive. Rimsky-Korsakov Capriccio Espanol on DG.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  11. coopmv

Not sure if I have this LP but I have little doubt I have this recording on CD ...

bluemooze likes this.
  12. coopmv

Pierre Hantai is one of the most outstanding harpsichordists of his generation ... :righton:

Soulpope likes this.
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The only video on it that I can see are a documentary about Wagner and a 'making of' documentary.

It also contains librettist for all four operas, a bunch of articles, a comic strip illustration of the Ring, scores, software and various other Ring/Wagner related goodies.

I WAS kind of thinking about the DVD too.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

:rant:Probably late to the party as usual, but I just found out that Sirius XM is doing away with the "classical pops" channel, merging it into the "symphony hall" channel. That means the menu has dropped from two classical channels and one opera channel to one classical channel and the opera channel (which, by the way, I liked better as it was before the merger). Evidently some aspect of the pops one will move online--fat lot of good that does this family in the car. I'm not wild about the "one-mvt.-extract" format of pops, but it does have its place--it's a good way to introduce a kid to a wide swath of music, and it's good for short trips when a full work would get cut up anyhow. But for longer trips, the "full works" format is far preferable. To the extent that the move puts the excerpt format into the "complete works" other channel, it's a pure loss all the way 'round. :disgust:

ToddBD likes this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Wondrous performance by Gerard Lesne and the Il Seminario Musicale.....

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Music from 17th`s century Viola da Gamba virtuoso Conrad Höffler splendidly performed by Guido Balestracci........eyepopping recording quality too....as the original Symphonia release is out of stock, this can be acquiered nowadays via subject reissue :

[​IMG]

Highly recommended !!!

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  18. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now listening to the Brahms Double:

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Andrew, J.A.W. and 3 others like this.
  19. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to: Sibelius: Symphonies 4, Op.63; 5, Op.82 - Vladimir Ashkenazy/Philharmonia Orchestra London - 4 CDs, Decca; disc 4

[​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: Concertos for Harpsichord and Strings, BWV 1052-1054 - Trevor Pinnock/English Concert - J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos, 19 Concertos, Orchestral Suites - 8 CDs, Archiv; disc 4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I bought that box fairly recently. I've listened to the keyboard concertos, but not the other discs so far.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Shostakovich: Symphony 8, Op.65 - Vasily Petrenko/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra - Naxos

[​IMG]

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Gewandhaus Quartett - recorded in 2000.........

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Certainly that applies to the Ring I would think even more than the others

I think it is fair to say that opinion of Barenboim as a conductor in this thread series is less than middling. That being said I find him less annoying in opera than in orchestral music. If I were to recommend a DVD of the Ring though it would be the Boulez version from the late 70s since it is by far the best acted. The singing is very good without being Golden (or Silver) Age. Even Gwyneth Jones is in good voice with less wobbling. Of course her acting is superb.

As for recordings I tend to be rather antediluvian in my Wagner preferences. I don't think anything comes close to the Furtwangler Ring cycle (in variable mono sadly*) although Solti, Bohm and V Karajan have their admirers. Solti has the best sonics and is very good in Rheingold and Gotterdammerung.

*The best sonics for the Furtwangler are unfortunately on an insanely priced set of Japanese SACDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.