Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #57)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

NP:

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Since posting I've taken a look at past threads and his name comes up as sort of 'okay' as a conductor. The opinion seems to be that he was better working with Jacqueline DuPre.

I've also read about the Solti. I will check out the Boulez Ring DVD since most of my excursion in listening to opera has involved the visual more than the aural. :)

(Plus, the subtitles would help me to understand what's being said.) :)

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I listened to Sirius XM a few times during my first three months of trial period in my new car back in 2011 and really was not too impressed. Perhaps people who tend to drive long distance may beg to differ. But then, I still prefer to pick my own music ...

4. coopmv

I enjoy all the recordings by this famed Austrian pianist in my collection ...

ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
  5. coopmv

I like Barenboim as a pianist and only have one recording by him where he was the conductor ...

Joe071 and Mr Bass like this.
  6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I have only one record on which he plays the piano, and maybe a couple where he is the conductor (which I bought because of the soloists, of course). But, I really enjoy his Beethoven sonatas very much. Inspired by your comment, now spinning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Best sonics for a Furtwangler Ring are the even more expensive HMV LPs of the early 50s.

Mono vinyl,pressed before 1957,and tubes rule.My favorite way to listen to classical music.

ToddBD, MrS and bluemooze like this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I also listen to mono recordings with tubes although vinyl pressings from the era really require a mono stylus as well. However I was replying to Hawkman who isn't that kind of aficionado. Also my understanding is that a better source tape was found for the SACD issue.

Hawkman likes this.
  9. coopmv

His Chopin Nocturnes are not bad, though it certainly is not my go-to Nocturnes. His Bach WTC is a semi-disaster ...

Joe071 likes this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP:

[​IMG]

thereof Sonata 32 Opus 111

11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I stand corrected.

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Reg what - that she ist topless ?? or that the posting of subject cover would have been against board rules ??....sorry for rechecking, but actually I do have - beneath the longterm love for music - also increasing interest into (vinyl) cover art so just being curious......

13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

14. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Ihad claimed that in earlier decades, like in sixties/seventies, classical music was never sold with babes on cover. I.e. nothing "sexy". Obviously, In the Greater World, that had happened...

15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Got it...thnx !! "Never" was likely exegerated, but would not rememeber too manny either - mostly linked to Ravel`s "Bolero" or the Bizet`s "Carmen".....

jukes likes this.
  16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

returning to Beethoven and his late piano sonatas - marvellous interpretations of opus 110+111......these recordings (from 1973) can be nowadays acquiered for little money via

[​IMG]

Highly recommended !!!!

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  17. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I'm Reborn - again. I've been converted! Hallelujah!! Etc!!! Almost by accident, and totally against my very own ideology*, I just happened to pick up the box The Symphonies (Karl Böhm conducting): Böhm's symphonies sets of Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart & Schubert symphonies. I already have the Beethoven & Schubert sets as LP's (usually still in very good condition), Die Groβen Symphonien cd set of later Mozart symphonies. I could have bought the Brahms symphonies set only. That was my intention. But then again, I didn't had the Beethoven & Schubert recordings in digi and I seriously lacked the famous Mozart set. Therefore, I guess (sorry for too big pic):

[​IMG]

And what a collection that is! Even though the (especially earlier) Jesus-Christ-Kirche recordings of Mozart symphonies are difficult cases when trying to follow the cellos and basses, Böhm's Mozart playing feels so natural (even though he seems to be taking some liberties more faithful interpreters won't take), that I don't much miss any other Mozart stuff. Then again, what I understand/know of Mozart is basically zilch... I haven't dared to taste even examples, yet, of Beethoven or Schubert symphonies - I've just degusted Böhm's Mozart. (I've been told since school days that Böhm is a rare individual in his exceptional sensitivity for Mozart's music. So of course I've tried to avoid that all these years...) So far, and because his Beethoven & Schubert recordings are pretty much on top of the hill of my most respected romantic recordings (though I don't listen to Schubert that much), I'm already willing to put this box right aside to the Philips' Vivaldi Edition. Rare cases of pure luck of accommodating something I know I will cherish till the end of my days. Partly kind of "homecoming", I guess.

Sorry for all that rage...!

(* Do not buy cd-boxes: you can't fit them anywhere, they're just collecting dust on every possible table/windowsill/(previously empty) shelf space reserved for books - so, do not get a single box anymore.)

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  18. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

True! I had totally forgotten those Carmen cases (Spanish/southern beauties).

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh, I have that LP! Found it cheap about a decade ago. I'm pretty certain I bought it just for the cover. :winkgrin: It's got a swinging 70s vibe to it, though it is lovely to behold.

dan c

vanhooserd likes this.
  20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Of course I bought it for the cover ...and because Maazel had just passed away. I need to get it cleaned & give it a spin.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I was under the impression that the RAIS "Ring" was officially issued first [badly] in the 70's, the La Scala appeared on disc in the 70's first as an outright bootleg, later on lables such as Fonit Cetra in countries where the copyright laws are looser, like Italy.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

We've managed to post suchlike here. Amazing how people can get so upset at what's gonna happen anyway . . .

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

In the United States maybe, but in Europe it was HMV. Seraphim was the budget label of Angel, which was the American outlet for HMV at the time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That post slipped in by accident before I edited it out. But as I recall, the RAIS "Ring" had it's official release in the 70's, not the 50's.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you mean RIAS, "Rundfunk im amerikanischen Sektor" (Radio in the American Sector) in Berlin.

Robin L likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.