Miles Davis Bitches Brew MFSL Vinyl Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OhNotHimAgain, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident Thread Starter

This title was recently released and I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to it. I bought it but won't get the chance to listen to it until Tuesday. For those who have heard it how does it rate? I've never heard the album before so I'm very excited, I know as of late only a remix remained in print on vinyl (unless you purchased the BB box set.) So let's talk about it!

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Got it today, I thought it sounded great, perhaps the best version yet (and I have 5 other vinyl versions). My 4th side has a non fill issue.

3. OhNotHimAgain

OhNotHimAgain Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well that gets me excited for Tuesday! Anyone else get the chance to listen?

4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i ordered it with Milestone Mono mfsl and esp quiex .... i hope i receive it next week ... the pond is very large sometimes ...

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Mine is #154 and just gave both LP's a listen yesterday. Sounds great to me also, and no non-fill issue on mine, you can't go wrong picking this one up.

6. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Is the MFSL the remix?

7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Mind did too -- two times with numbers in upper 100's - third time was the charm - number was in 700's.
    Can't have any non-fill on this release - it's far too noticeable with this music.

Amazing job on this release. The best I've heard it. I'm done buying any more reissues of this title.

8. Addison

Addison Active Member

Nope, original.

mikeyt and GroovinGarrett like this.
  9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Great, but not revelatory, I thought . . . There is some noticeable tape hiss right from the word go . . . but, this was (relatively) quiet music played live by (relatively) large ensembles who were, perhaps, not especially familiar with using electric instruments.
    Bitches Brew is a pretty congested recording, but I still find more space around the instruments here than in previous versions I've heard. The drums and cymbals sound especially present and detailed, as does Miles' effects-treated horn - all of the textures come across very nicely even with so much going on simultaneously. The bass is good, but not especially tight or bold to me, but with sides of this length, there is probably only so much that can be accomplished. All in all, this will be my go-to version, but I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders over any other one I have heard.

I bought mine at Bull Moose right off the shelf #1783.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Who mastered the LP?

11. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Out of interest, how much are MFSLs on the US side of the pond...?

12. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Krieg Wunderlich and Shawn Britton.

13. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this with the vinyl version from the BB box? What are your impressions?

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'm not able to do a back to back, but I prefer the MFSL to what I remember the vinyl from the 40th box sounding like. But the 40th vinyl is quite good as well, cut all analogue from the original master. You can't go wrong with either.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I assume you are asking about vinyl, but just in case...

SACDs are $29.99.
    Single LPs are usually $29.99 as well.
    Double LPs are usually around $39.99.
    Silver Label LPs are $22.99 list price.

Usually with a bit of hunting you can find them for $3-5 dollars cheaper than list, sometimes more even.

16. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Thanks for that. These get a 100% markup then in the UK (100% or thereabouts). Let's drain the Atlantic and build the world's largest record shop...

Goggen, mogwai rave, SergioRZ and 2 others like this.
  17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Ah. Here in France, I see single LPs for 45 euros (around 60 dollars !), and double LPs for 75 euros (around 100 !!)

SergioRZ likes this.
  18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I haven't given it a proper A/B, but they're both great. I really like Wilder's mastering on the box set. I'll try to get to it this weekend and report back.

razorball and eyeCalypso like this.
  19. KeithH

Thanks. I am not familiar with Krieg Wunderlich, but Shawn Britton usually does very good work.

20. KeithH

They drained paradise
    And put up a record shop

:D

breakingglass likes this.
  21. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow! You should see if you can get some US stores to ship it to you in France... even with the postage, it might work out cheaper, especially if you buy a few at a time.

22. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I think it sounds excellent throughout, highly recommended! The same goes for 'Round About Midnight and Milestones.

SergioRZ likes this.
  23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Took a quick look at Amazon.com, costs about the same thing with shipping. But I'd be grateful for recommendations (or links to that sort of discussion if this is too off-topic)

SergioRZ likes this.
  24. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Wunderlich has done all of the vast majority of the MFSL vinyl over the last few years, though not all of the Silver Series. At times he is paired with either Britton or Rob LoVerde.
    Some complained of brightness when he first took the helm - but I don't see that complaint much anymore. He's been on a role - MFSL vinyl has been pretty uniformly great recently.
    I consider Bitches Brew to no exception.

Addison and rxcory like this.
  25. mogwai rave

mogwai rave Active Member

Just got my copy of the LP today. £34. Number 3257, so rather high. Sounds totally amazing though. Beautiful sound, can't believe it is older than me..... The music not the disc! I fully recommend. Also if you haven't got it yet. The 45rpm Nefetiti is outstanding.

SergioRZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.