Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shak Cohen and Thurenity like this.
  2. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It looks similar to the A.T. tables out there, and the weight is close to them. From what I hear, they aren't near the same build quality as the 1200.

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

This is no cheesy AT turntable, this looks like they bought all the tooling from Technics and used it to make this. Now that its cheaper than used Technics, its going to sell big.

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That's great news then.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Looks to be the best SL-1200 alternative out there. Seems to be better built than the Hanpin clones. Looks to be a sensibly engineered choice. I can't wait to see and handle one and evaluate it.

6. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

Wow and flutter spec of the PLX-1000 is listed as 0.1%…a far cry from the 0.025% spec of the SL-1200.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    paulisme, APH, PhilBiker and 2 others like this.
  7. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'm so wishing I didn't upgrade my Technics 1210. That table was a tank. All I had to do was turn it on and play instead of futzing around like I do now.

I'll be interested to see if there were significant changes or the bones are all still there on this new model. KAB should have a field day with it.

flatandround, Leviethan and phish like this.
  8. druboogie

Thats a lil disappointing, so I guess this version of the turntable wont be for audiophiles just yet. DJs only. Maybe the next model.

I doubt Pioneer has the same engineers that it did in its consumer turntable heyday, so I wouldnt be surprised if they are starting from scratch and have much to learn as far as the bones of this deck.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I suspect this turntable will kick the AT turntable across the floor. The main reason is the Pioneer does not have a built in board to allow computer connectivity or connectivity to a receiver without a phono input.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What the hell is Panasonic waiting for? Okay, guys, you made a mistake dropping the line of Technics tables. ADMIT IT! Now, get the machines back up and running!

11. kman

kman Forum Resident

spec sheet says it weighs 28 lbs, must not be a cheap plastic hunk of junk ?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  12. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Indeed. This is a bit of a letdown for me.

13. druboogie

Why would panasonic do that when this turntable just came out? It really looks like Pioneer ate up the patents for this deck, used all the specs, and they are leaving room for other versions in the future with more features. Things like reverse, brake adjustment, start adjustment, interchangable tone arms, USB output, alternative lighting, and novation buttons. Theres no need for Panasonic to revive this. But I seriously think Pioneer will never be building these for the audiophile in mind, not when they are marketing these towards DJs.

Stanton makes a DJ turntable with more torque. Oddly enough, it many of the parts look a lot like the Pioneer. But because it doesnt look just like the 1200, its not popular, and it is a real tank. Heavy as hell.

[​IMG]

I think it weighs more than the 1200, and from the pictures I saw, it looks tight.

CrazyCatz, Sax-son and Brother_Rael like this.
  14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

But how are each being measured? Weighted, non weighted? What weighting formula was used for each?

o0OBillO0o and 2trackmind like this.
  15. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

The Stanton is just the same OEM table as the one sold by Audio Technica, Reloop, etc. though, isn't it? Same basic specs, same phono stage, just the name and add-ons differ.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I wish I had got the Pioneer Elite PL 90 when it was available. Wow/Flutter .018 WRMS (.008 direct from FG output) S/n85DB. Weight, 38 lbs.

[​IMG]

17. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Mmmm....I think I like to get myself one. Can I do my 2014 taxes now?

Billy Infinity and Thurenity like this.
  18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This looks like a really nice re-entry table for Pioneer. I especially like the brushed die cast zinc top chassis, and the rubber insulated tone arm. $699 retail, so we'll see what the real world price is.

Anyone know when this will be available?

[​IMG]

It's also pictured with a thick rubber mat, but doesn't come with one (only a slip-mat is listed). I also can't find a rubber mat accessory at the Pioneer site yet.

[​IMG]

19. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

Good question.

The PLX-1000 spec:
    0.1% or less WRMS (JIS WTD)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/DJ/Turntable/PLX-1000?tab=specifications

The SL-1200 specs:
    0.01% WRMS
    0.025% WRMS (JIS C5521)
    ±0.035% peak (IEC 98A Weighted)

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SL-1200MK2?t=specs

The quoted 0.1% (Pioneer) and 0.025% (Technics) wow/flutter specs appear to be based on the same JIS (Japanese International Standard) weighted measurement formula. At least, that's how the specs appear to be presented.

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Good God, I just want those stabilizers,lol

21. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

I will be amazed if this is not a Hanpin made TT.

22. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

That makes two of us.

Mikay, Billy Budapest and j.t.k. like this.
  23. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident Thread Starter

what is Hanpin? is that bad?

24. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I agree - I mentioned this a while back but I hear it comes Hanpin too, who's turning these out for different brands. I think the one you show could be excellent however assuming it's build quality is as good as it looks. There's the STR8-150 as well, for the straight arm version. Either way, it looks the part. If I were going back to vinyl though, Funk Firm's Vector is a slick looking bit of kit, but I'd love a Garrard 301 or 401 in a nice big plinth!

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just have to wonder if that isn't a typo, 0.1% is silly high.

Bromo33333 and PhilBiker like this.