Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was a "disco sucks" type of person and I never thought that "Run Like Hell" was disco until the local record store owner pointed it out to me. :laugh:

Part of being a "disco sucks" person in the 70's was having blinders on. One of my favorite songs at one time was BadCo's, "Rock'n'Roll Fantasy", which was also really, obviously disco-fied. Another important factor was being between 14 and 18 and being willing to rationalize uncomfortable truths. :laugh:

2. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

My band covered that Bad Company song and I played bass. No way was that disco at least from the bass line.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You could play it without all the synthy stuff and have it not sound "disco", but the original recording has a disco sound to it. It wasn't so much a disco song as a disco production, hence my term, "disco-fied."

4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Run Like Hell" doesn't bother me, that doesn't scream 'disco' to me, necessarily. (Another Brick 2 is more of a disco cash-in... and it worked, obviously.)

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never remotely considered Run Like Hell or Another Brick a disco track back in the day. Sure they had the 4 on the floor beat, but none of the other attributes of the genre (and I'm not elevating the tracks by saying that - as late 70s double albums go, I enjoy the SNF soundtrack way more than I enjoy The Wall).

6. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

He's been out of the band longer than he was in it. I am sure the majority of fans and the general music buying public are aware (those that care anyway) that Roger's not on this album.

I prefer the Roger led era myself and think it would have been great if he could have been on this last PF album and send off for Rick Wright, but that's a pretty unrealistic expectation.

Shak Cohen, wayne66 and Mike Visco like this.
  7. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

8. drumzNspace

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Hey. How about that new album that's coming out? Endless River is what it's called, I think?

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Calling you a troll isn't a "name," it is a fact. Coming onto a thread about Pink Floyd, where you know many people do care about the lyrics, and then insisting that they are unimportant or superfluous to the music is trolling. If you just said, "hey all, I am looking forward to the new record, lyrics have never been important to me." nobody would care. Instead, you have to try and speak in absolutes as if we are a bunch of morons and you are enlightening us with your superior intellect.

Unfortunately, I don't put people on my ignore list, so unlike 99% of the other posters on this board, I actually get to read what you say.

Billy Infinity and dkmonroe like this.
  11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I agree there are not disco music but they were danceable which was already a crime for the typical Pink Floyd fan. Run Like Hell was definitely not the type of song you would expect from David Gilmour.

12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I can totally see the disco label for ABITW Pt2, especially if you removed the vocals. Even though Run Like Hell does have that disco beat, it is played far too agressively and not really behind the beat like a disco song usually does IMHO. I've never thought of it as disco.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think it's a lot like One Of These Days

PhoffiFozz and Colocally like this.
  14. drumzNspace

I don't think this was posted before..many of you might have seen. Man, might be the single UNCOOLEST few moments in rock history. The Division Bell tour itself was cool enough, there was some nice production there, but the reeking corporateness of it and the squirming corporate bandmembers at the PR conference is certainly cringeworthy to say the least..

15. drumzNspace

On my old vinyl boot of "Wallive" DG (or maybe it was Roger) actually introduced the song by saying "And now we'd like to play you a little disco number.." but it was pretty tongue in cheek and I agree with you, it's much more aggressive and if maybe taking a little flavour of the day, they bastardized it into a heavy Pink Floyd thing..
    I was looking for the YouTube of the same version but those other two were the closest I could find (where Roger does mention "disco"..)

16. drumzNspace

Yeah, not disco-y at all imo

17. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

In my head I always assumed that in the world of "Pink" his band is playing this song so it would naturally have the novelty of the time of a Disco edge(Kiss-I was made for loving you),sort of art imitating life,no excuse for ABITW 2 tho.

18. botley

botley Forum Resident

David was always well-spoken in public, I find he comports himself pretty well when subjected to incredibly boring lines of questioning, but it's hard to imagine what could have been going through the band's minds to team up with a car manufacturer in such a heavy-handed "sex up our brand" way.

Great to hear from Mark Fisher, the amazing architect of the '94 tour and so many other incredible rock stage designs.

19. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

I think I see where my disconnect is coming from. When you said the 2 members, you were referring to Roger and Syd. Since Syd has been out of the picture for such a long time I took that to mean Roger and Rick. I was disagreeing about carrying on with little regard for Rick, since the band has made pains to point out they are including his work and referring to this as his "Swan Song". So just a confusion on which 2 members were being discussed.

20. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

I would imagine since his solo work is not the property of Pink Floyd they don't have a lot of control over this. Given that Guy Pratt, who has been Pink Floyd's bassist since the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour, is married to Rick's daughter and David was a very close friend I would not be surprised if they did try to get his unfinished works released. But the push has to come from Rick's estate and I have not heard any rumblings of that happening.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  21. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

As for Wet Dream, I agree this should be available no matter what. Beautiful album. Same goes for Broken China. I always thought it a shame that there was no vinyl version back in the day, since the album consists of four parts, each one a quarter of an hour long. Would be great on vinyl. And the artwork would have been fantastic as well. As for Identity, the best tribute to Rick would be to leave it alone. He hated it and saw it as an ´experimental mistake´.

Shak Cohen and Billy Infinity like this.
  22. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Who cares?!
    There are not going to be people who aren't in the band on the album.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Billy Infinity and Lownote30 like this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

English please.

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The lyrics on DSOTM are great. Any Colour You Like, inspirational! On The Run, magnificent!!

Actually, Rick and David's respective lead parts on Any Colour are pretty lyrical, which is about as relevant a point as anything going on in this thread at the moment.

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

verbs aren't important on forums

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.