Werner Herzog's films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dreamwhip, Nov 25, 2008.

1. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Boy do I love his films one of my favorite directors!

willy, Pete Norman and Scope J like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

3. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I was very impressed by Grizzly Man.

Don't even know where to begin when it comes to the duo infernale Herzog/Kinski. A unique combination of genius,madness and megalomania. The doku My best fiend is highly recommended if you haven't already seen it.

About Fitzcarraldo: I guess many remember one of Kinski's tantrums at the set(Kinski vs. production manager Walter Saxer):

There exists an rather amateurish but interesting interview with Saxer many years after the movie(2012)and he spoke quite positive about Kinski and that he was the man that made Herzog and not vice versa. He also accused Herzog of telling lies about some of the infamous things that happened on the Fitzcarraldo set.

Unfortunately it's only in german language without subs:

4. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

5. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Herzog is an excellent director, and I truly feel that 'Aguirre' is a masterpiece.

Stencil, conjotter, willy and 4 others like this.
  6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Fitzcarraldo was an interesting movie that my brother turned me onto. I was surprised to see it had music by Popol Vuh.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I also was surprised and enthralled and horrified with Herzog's Grizzly Man documentary.
    The scene when he listens to the deaths on tape and says "You must never listen to this. You must destroy it." was truly horrific.

amoergosum likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The only Herzog film that I refuse to watch again.

9. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

But you've got to see it once. You can't deny it was very well done.

10. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

11. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

Heart of Glass, Nosferatu

willy likes this.
  12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Just looking at the list of films in the Herzog collection, I have not seen any of these to my recollection, must get crackin'!

willy, jwoverho and Scope J like this.
  13. I find his readings from children's books to be quite engrossing and perceptive as well. ;)

Scope J likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Has anyone seen Queen of the Desert ?!

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's my favorite by far. No other one I've seen comes close.

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yes, the biggies (Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo) are wonderful, but I'd like to give another shoutout to The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, mentioned only once before in this thread, eight years ago. It's a small masterpiece about the compulsion of the human spirit in reaching for unobtainable goals, and, as such, it touches on the same themes that inform Herzog's greatest works. Poetically shot, it's breathtaking and heart-wrenching in equal measure. Not bad for a 45-minute documentary film about a ski jumper.

Beat that, Eddie the Eagle.

17. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

I'll second that. Herzog's early work - Even dwarfs, Aguirre, Fata morgana, Woodcarver Steiner - is utterly unique. Great film.

stepeanut likes this.
  18. Ashley Pomeroy

Ashley Pomeroy Forum Resident

Also, he's an endlessly engaging interview guest with a neat line in banter. After living with Klaus Kinski I imagine he ceased to care about objective reality. He has surprising comedic talents as well:

willy and Max Florian like this.
  19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've got about 15 of his films in my collection, and while I can't say I liked every single one, I still find him to be a fascinating director.... and of course, several of movies are definitely classics (Nosferatu, Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo).

I just saw Into the Abyss today for the first time and thought it was quite good... Herzog's documentaries are often just as interesting as his "proper" films.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any word on Queen of the Desert ?

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Port Of New Orleans must have been Nic Cage's last good film. Love Werner"s oddball take on America.

22. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

The whole genius of Herzog is encapsulated in that moment when he stumbles onto a little anecdote about a squirrel and releases all the anguish the prison padre is holding back.

23. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I thought it was great too but later learned that some of the goings on weren't presented in the doc...can't remember off the top of my head. Left me feeling a little less moved by it, though it's still good. Oh I think it was the fact that Grizzly man was a bit mental in some ways but Herzog doesn't touch on his personality, just the story of what happened which is one perspective but I think that it leaves us with some perspectives that aren't necessarily representative of the whole situatation.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member