Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 57 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

2. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Warning, a nasty off-topic:

My attitude towards having too much books is based on my youth: libraries weren't open in weekends, so... while reading the weekend papers you stumbled on something odd or annoying and therefore wanted to check something (a quote, a fact, a figure of speech), you either waited 'till monday or you just forgot the whole thing, if you didn't had proper home library (encyclopaedias, basic philosophical & scientific stuff, and of course the heavyweights of world poetry & fiction). Today, you can subscribe to Britannica and Brockhaus and so have the greatest encyclopaedias at your disposal (requires a computer & internet, though), and you'll probably find a lot of worthy books from google books (the name?). In the meantime, you had a chance to buy ecyclopaedic cd's and dvd's, but that wasn't much (the computer required). So, I'm just saying that I know there's too much books around - thanks, parents & grandparents & cetera too! - but I'm used to it. There's also too much records: not much like collectors do have, but too much for a median home... and some of those I just don't listen just like I don't read 18th & 19th century Bibles... :) And I drop both books and cd's to antiquarian book shops & used record stores. After the renovation there's 15 meters of bookshelves, from floor to the roof, usually 9 shelves pro one meter. Full. Some dust.

Another point with my attitude towards the books is simple: written word is a great way to store the human ideas (beliefs, ideologies) and thanks for certain mr. Gutenberg, the print was just a fabulous way to store the written word, to produce it as books, and to distribute them. One of the greatest inventions ever, and it had a huge positive impact on social development everywhere where the print was spreaded. Well, the literacy was of course a requirement. I just value the book for what it is, and especially what it has been. With the internet things of course have changed a bit. But would you really really trust some Wikipedia? I doubt. And I won't take even a laptop down the beach (just the slope down and there's a lake) but the book is really easy to carry along!

Off-topic ends here.

It's too hot, too sunny, just about too summer-like to do anything else but to close the doors and windows and put the music on (until the autumn storms come): Carl Schuricht conducts Wiener Philh. that plays Bruckner's 8th & 9th symphonies. We'll see (actually: hear) whether the recommendation was worthy at all... :)

[​IMG]

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Robin L wrote:
    "Or more to the point, differently. In which case it really boils down to a matter of taste. Unless I'm mistaken, remastering/repressings of Decca recordings from the all-tube era were rendered with solid state gear. So there is greater clarity overall and extension of the high treble. I suspect cutting head technology also improved by that point. But I have found a greater sense of palpable presence—what Glenn Gould called "tactile proximity"—in the earlier, all-tube pressings."

No doubt a matter of taste. And remember my favorite versions, the King Super Analog were all tube cut as well.

Robin L likes this.
  4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Charles Ives – Symphonies No.1 & No.4, Hymns
    — Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus — Michael Tilson Thomas (Sony Classics)

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So how do you like this SACD twofer (or trio?)? I bought it when it was first released a few years ago ...

6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

7. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Nice for a quiet summer morning.

8. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Love the Fennell recordings with the EWE...groundbreaking in every respect.

EasterEverywhere and Joe071 like this.
  9. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

It came with the MLP box. I must admit this is the first time I'm listening to it, and I've played it four times today. I'm very pleasantly surprised.

This is what I'm gonna be listening to tonight:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm quite fond of these two CD's. After that it's time for A Touch of Frost (series 2, episode 3):

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  10. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

This is one of my favorites…
    [​IMG]

Joe071, vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Right now - the Tallis Scholars singing Cardoso. Just lovely

kevinsinnott, Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(Epic LC 3849)

13. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable…
    [​IMG]

14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

This is movement 1 of Don Erb's masterpiece Ritual Observances. Starts very quietly, mysteriously... and then...

BTW I consider Erb to be the American Stravinsky.

kevinsinnott and bluemooze like this.
  15. DmitriKaramazov

And movement 2. These performances are at CIM where Erb used to teach.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Haven't heard it, has a great reputation for SQ. As to why this Mahler record would cost more it probably has to do with this one being a 2 record set. Chailly/Concertgebouw has a performance of Mahler's 3 on a Decca 2 SACD set, some of the best sound I've heard on anything.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Kitka - Wintersongs" on Diaphonica. Beautiful voices, beautiful music and a beautiful recording.

From their website "...material ranging from rousing Slavic folk carols and lush, meditative Eastern Orthodox sacred choral works, to pre-Christian incantations for the longest nights of the year and Hebrew folk songs for Chanukah..."

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Joe071 and Robin L like this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks! This bad boy is $50!! I really like Mehta, so it intrigues me.

20. DmitriKaramazov

And movement 3!

bluemooze likes this.
  21. DmitriKaramazov

and #4.

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof Dvorak Symphony 7

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Handel - The Occasional Songs" performed by Emma Kirkby and Charles Daniels on Somm Recordings.

With:
    David Miller - Archlute/Theorbo
    Katherine Sharman - Cello
    Paul Nicholson - Harpsichord
    Adrian Butterfield & William Thorp - Violins
    Andrew Carwood & Simon Davies - Tenors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
  24. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

After the Tori Amos concert tonight at the Greek I went to a party at Jean Yves Thibaudet's house and hung out with Yuja Wang (of course) Gustavo Dudamel and Gautier Capucon. What an amazing geek out night.

25. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

This Saturday, going to hear BB Chung King & The Buddaheads at the Arcadia Blues Club, drink some PBRs and hang with my folk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.