Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Outstanding!! :edthumbs:

2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

3. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Listening now. Hi-Rez download from HDracks.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, bluemooze, Joe071 and 2 others like this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I need to check my shelf, think I have an early Stereo Treasury Series copy.

[15 minutes later . . .]

Don't know the Speaker's Corner reissue but the STS copy is real early so my 50¢ copy from Rasputin's is an all-tube recording and one of my favorite from the STS series, with fantastic sonic imaging—the sonic equivalent of Cinerama. I'd call this performance superior to Kertesz's remake for the complete set of Symphonies with the LSO. I'm tempted to buy it.

Joe071 and RelayerNJ like this.
  5. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks! It's been on my wishlist for some time. I love all the SC Decca reissues, definitely audiophile quality. The one review there says the sacd is going for $200 on Ebay---yikes!

Robin L likes this.
  6. John S

John S Forum Resident

I have and enjoy this CD, although I've never been taken with its rather dry sonics. The "Romantic" symphony clicked with me since I first heard it long ago. As with MacDowell before him, Hanson's music has unfortunately fallen out of favor. Your post reminded me of my hearing the Schwarz/Seattle version on my car radio recently. I sat in my driveway for 10 minutes just to find out who did this recording (who among us hasn't done that before?). I know Hanson's recording must be considered definitive, but this Schwarz version was extraordinary both in sonics and performance. Thanks for the reminder. On its way:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

That Delos disc looks interesting. I had a couple of Hovhaness discs conducted by Schwarz on Delos years ago.

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This is not that great recording sonically TBW. The conductor's later re-recording with London Symphony is great.

And the SACD (Vienna disc) is not the best to represent the recording. Seek out the cheap WG cd and the Japan 1st pressing with the cat# K35Y is the best.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This has probably been discussed in one or more of the previous instalments of this topic, but I hope I can bring it up here again - I need advice on Sviatoslav Richter's EMI and DG recordings. I don't really know why, but I'm a latecomer as far as Richter is concerned and I wonder what his better recording eras are. I purchased the Decca box that includes his Philips and DG solo recordings a while ago and I'm now thinking of getting one or two big collections with his EMI and DG recordings, such as this EMI - now Warner - box:

[​IMG]

and/or this DG box, which probably has some overlap with the Decca solo box:

[​IMG]

I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Heinrich Schuetz: Psalmen Davids. Ehmann, Westphalian Cantorei, Cantate Germany.

Schuetz is often poorly performed, particularly his earlier works. Before the 30 Years War took its toll, there were more resources available to perform musical works. The Psalmen Davids really don't sound without at least a moderate sized chorus IMO. The Ehmann performances might have a bit larger chorus than necessary but at least convey the drama and power of these compositions. This is the German source for the more well known Nonesuch issue.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  11. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I too am interested in these two sets, especially the Pianist of the Century box, but admit to being a bit put off by the "special newly-remastered" label on it.

12. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

I'm not an expert on Richter by any means, but I would get the Icon if only for the superb duets with Kagan and the unique Handel recording with Gavrilov. I don't know that Richter had a single "golden era" represented on disc, as you'll find special performances on DG, EMI, Philips, Melodiya, etc. My favorite Richter recordings are spread across a number of labels. There's a great Richter in Prague box set, his Decca Haydn discs, his BBC Live Debussy recital, an RCA Bach Well-Tempered Clavier set, the RCA Brahms 2 with Leinsdorf, the Live Classics Mozart violin sonatas with Kagan, another Mozart recital with Kagan on Russian Studio Archives, and on an on.

Joe071 likes this.
  13. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I hear ya.

14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

What's wrong with this recording/performance?

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have both of these boxes but I am no expert on S Richter ...

16. coopmv

Looks like you own most of Emma's recordings ... :winkgrin:

17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I second the ICON recommendation. I think it's a solid set with lots of different composers/works. Decent sound too.

The DG has some great performances, but the sound is better on other, individual, earlier releases. The sound is by no means terrible, though.

Absolutely. :agree:

Joe071 likes this.
  18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I don't say there's something wrong with it. I just said the recording is not as great as the later one.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 1 from "Delius - 150th Anniversary Edition" on EMI.

(from Amazon)
    CD 1 [79.20]
    [1] Sleigh Ride (Winternacht) 5.30
    [2] Marche caprice (ed & arr. Beecham) 4.00
    [3] Over the hills and far away (ed. Beecham) 12.57
    [4] A Dance Rhapsody no. 2 7.40
    [5] -[9] A Dance Rhapsody no. 1 12.01
    [10] On the Mountains (Paa vidderne) 12.17
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Thomas Beecham
    [11] -[15] Promotional presentation by Sir Thomas Beecham in October 1948 for the launch of the 78rpm set of A Village Romeo and Juliet 25.02

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigphil and Joe071 like this.
  20. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If I don't, it's not for lack of trying. :)

ToddBD likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Has anyone purchased this recent János Starker box yet? Any opinions?

[​IMG]

Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The soundstaging is wider on the earlier VPO recording than the LSO recording. I think sonic preference in this instance is going to boil down to a mater of taste. I also find the earlier recording more exciting/animated than the later.

23. coopmv

I asked the same question in the previous thread but have received no response ...

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to CD 4 from "Sviatoslav Richter - The Master Pianist" on EMI.

Beethoven - Violin Sonata No.5 in F Op.24 'Spring' (Oleg Kagan)

Schubert - Piano Quintet in A D667 'Trout' (Mikhail Kopelman - violin/Dmitri Shebalin - viola/Valentin Berlinsky - cello/Georg Hortnagel - double bass)

[​IMG]

Joe071 and George P like this.
  25. coopmv

It looks like this is a Richter's box everyone and his cousin own ... :winkgrin::hide:

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.