Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing. Alas, it's an RCA Gold Seal, but still sounds fairly decent…I wonder what the Living Stereo LP sounds like)[​IMG]

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  2. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Well, what makes the other one better?

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

There's many 2 lp sets that are NOT $50. I gather this is marketing--"the people who actually listen to Mahler can afford a $50 lp."

4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Hans (+coopmv),

this really depends on your interests/needs - if you really want to have ALL of Starker`s Mercury recordings this should be the way to go. Regarding my status (although I really do appreciate Janos Starker a lot), me believe his best recordings out of this bunch are the following two

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

which I do own as individual (non-SACD) cd`s - btw both sound gorgeous - and the Brahms as Vinyl :

[​IMG]

Hope this is of help........

5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Hans,

again this depends on your interests/needs, but compared to Janos Starker the situation is more protracted. Sviatoslav Richter was recordingswise a very prolific artist over his long career and the huge number of material available can vary strongly reg Richter`s constitution (esp in 1980`s) and recording quality (a lot of interesting recordings are "live" or Russian recordings with "technical" limitations..)

My interest is based mainly on his recordings of Bach + Schubert and therefore have a number of individual CD`s.

Being aware this isn`t the answer reg the two CD-Boxes the forementioned could (should ?) be taken into account......

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  6. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I'm very new to classical music, just today discovering the amazing music of J.S. Bach with things like Toccato and Fugue in D Minor and Prelude in C Minor.
    Are there any good collections out there for recordings of his organ compositions? While I usually prefer keyboard interpretations, I'm open to anything you knowledgeable folks might suggest.

7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP:

[​IMG]

Recorded in Vienna and Salzburg between 1970 and 1973, as CD available as following release :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

being the same recordings also released as RCA GD 60949 and RCA [Japan] BVCC 37139/42 (CD), but having a superior ransfer to both of these...

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

RelayerNJ and Joe071 like this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I may have a spare of the Living Stereo somewhere...

10. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

When it comes to Bach's orgelwerke Helmut Walcha, Karl Richter, Peter Hurford and E. Power Biggs are the top choices in my book. IMHO, you just can't go wrong with any collection of Bach's organ pieces from the said artists.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  11. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Inspired by your post, now playing this CD:

[​IMG]

The only difference is that my CD says Privilege instead of Resonance. I know they were both budged DGG reissue series, maybe Resonance was a series dedicated to reissuing vinyl only, and Privilege CD's, I don't know. In case you wonder, the sonics are second to none.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks for your reply. János Starker is one of those older artists from the "romantic" period of interpretation that I've more or less neglected, even though the "romanticism" of his playing is kept within bounds. I do have his Brahms cello sonatas on CD with György Sebök and a few collaborations with others, but no Bach for instance and none of his Mercury concerto recordings. In the meantime I've read a few reviews of some of his Mercury albums on a Dutch site by someone whose ears I trust and I am tempted to get this set.

13. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Could you please post a link to that site? A friend of mine speaks Dutch, so she can help me with whatever interesting I find there.

14. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Budget, of course. :hide:

When it happens to a native speaker, everybody just assumes it's a typo, when it happens to somebody else, they assume this dude don't know jack.

Six String, ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

http://www.quadrevisie.nl/jandekruijff/

It's not very transparent and therefore pretty difficult to navigate. Mr Jan de Kruijff, the critic I was talking about, is now an octogenarian and he occasionally seems to have problems editing his reviews.

16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Thanks. :righton:

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Which CDs did you compare? I compared Decca's original vinyl from the 60s.

And I said nothing about the performances. If you use the words "exciting/animated" to criticize my statements, you missed the point.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The venue and the engineer.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I know nothing about the box itself. However if the Bach suites were transferred from the Mercury CD, it has some problems like pitch etc.
    The SACD is fixed on the pitch and improved on the sonic, though it fetches high price now.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not CDs, the original pressing. Early STS LPs use the same stampers as the Blue-Back Decca recordings. And I was addressing the qualities of performance, maybe you missed my point. As regards the venue, again a matter of personal taste.

21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

DGG 2709047 Stereo German 3LP Set

22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

These recordings are also available as hi-rez downloads for a lot less than the going price for the SACDs. From what I have read, the PCM version is from the SACD masters. I have not read anything specific about the DSD version, but I would assume that they are also from the SACD mastering

23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Come on, has it come to only that? What about the performance? I haven't heard the other Kertesz version.

24. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Awesome. :edthumbs:

Soulpope likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Finale from the VPO performance:

Finale from the LSO performance starts around 31:30:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNoPqYAIPI

I've got too many recordings of Dvorak's 9th symphony, Bernstein/NYPO, Walter and the L.A. branch of the "Columbia Symphony Orchestra", Tallich and the Czech Philharmonic, Kubelik/VPO on yet another Decca/STS LP, Szell/Cleveland, Dohnányi/Cleveland, others I've forgot. I like both Kertesz recordings, find the earlier one more exciting. If you haven't Szell's you should, though the best issue of that is probably going to be the out of print Single-layer SACD [I just know yasujiro will disagree]. There's a new copy at Amazon for a little over $40. The original LP is a mess, the reissues on LP are worse, the CDs just so-so. The most recent remastering seems decent enough. But and in any case, the Playing that Szell gets is just amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.