Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Fabulous. Thanks! Listening to it out of my computer speakers does it now justice

2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(TUDOR TUD09 03-17) thereof Sonate D Dur (Gasteiner) Op. 53 (D 850)

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the CD version of this set in a twofer from this master violinist. He is in the same league as Arthur Grumiaux and Henryk Szeryng, those all-time greats ... :righton:

Joe071 and Soulpope like this.
  4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Robin L likes this.
  5. coopmv

I have to run the following set by our European members, as I have seen on another classical music-only forum whose European members appear to have VERY high opinion of Cafe Zimmerman. I already have so many versions of the works by JS Bach included in this set by many English and German ensembles and am not convinced CZ can do better, other than more modern sound. I listened to some of the tracks provided on Amazon and cannot say there is anything that really grabbed my attention ...

[​IMG]

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is a great set. One of the better period-instrument - or, if you prefer, HIP - Bach sets in my opinion. Highly recommended, but your mileage may vary, of course :)

7. coopmv

I already have versions of these works by the English Concert, AAM, Concentus Musicus Wien, Leonhardt Consort, Musica Antiqua of Koln and Freiburger Baoque, etc. While the sound of some of these sets may be ancient when compared to this set, it is really the performance that counts first ...

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Claves CD 50-8506, released 1986

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  9. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing…my favorite Zarathustra of all time, CSO/Reiner, recorded 4/30 and 5/1, 1962. That brass section…God Almighty! Though their 1954 recording has more raw energy IMO, this one is hard to beat in terms of sonics. Picked up this CD in the late '80's/early '90's I believe.
    [​IMG]

10. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

This guy Johann seems to get a lot of attention around here. :D:D:D

Robin L and ToddBD like this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Faure: Requiem (original version). Rutter, Cambridge Singers. UK Collegium

The only performance I enjoy of this work.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Robin L, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Agree. Though, I love the Steinberg/BSO too. And the red LP cover rockz. Unfortunately, I have the Originals version, coupled with Planets.

ToddBD likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Description: Long Out Of Print 180gm HQ With Obi. Istvan Kertesz Conducting The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. This Title Was Originally Released As Decca SXL 2289, One Of The Rarest Deccas Which Has Closed At Over $1300 On epay."

That price tag makes me like my STS pressing all the more. Not to knock this remaster, I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for it.

[​IMG]

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now playing:

[​IMG]

15. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

This is as close as I got to that one............ in terms of cover art only. :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof Symphony 4

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Like the cover and the sonics, find the performance way too German. Had the SACD. Odd but there is a German performance tradition for this work.

Joe071 likes this.
  18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This is one of best small group versions of the Requiem. I haven't settled on a favorite large group version. I think Faure composed/arranged both versions?

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I was talking about the performances, not about the sound quality.

20. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Yes, I know what you're talking about. Although I hold the Kertesz in high regard, this is my all-time favorite Dvorak 9th:

[​IMG]

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For those who are wondering whose interpretation that is (the fine print is illegible and the photo is, well, not that great), it's Ferenc Fricsay's. One of the truly great conductors in my opinion.

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Have not heard it, have no doubt that the performance is Electric. Just checked my shelf to see if I still have the Reiner SACD, don't, but do have the Colin Davis/Concertgebouw recording, very nice but a little cool.

Joe071 likes this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now Playing, the Borodin Quartet Plays the Borodin Quartet, London STS 15046:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD, Soulpope and 2 others like this.
  24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

thereof Symphony 4

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

One of the advantages of being a relative newcomer to intensive classical listening is a certain level of immunity to the "warhorse" syndrome of overexposure to the short list of compositions that true aficionados have heard too many times. Which is why I've been enjoying playing and reveling in various versions of perhaps the ultimate warhorse, Beethoven's Symphony No. 9, for the past several days, especially this one from 1962:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also played Ferenc Fricsay's 1958 rendition, also with the Berlin Philharmonic; Leonard Bernstein's 1979 live recording with the Vienna Philharmonic; and Osmo Vänskä's 2006 version with the Minnesota Orchestra.

Another sign of my babe-in-the-woods status is that I often don't make any immediate confident judgements about which performance is my favorite and which is best and which misses the mark — the tendency toward sharply drawn comparative rankings and ratings that characterizes everything from the Penguin Guide to Amazon user reviews. Which is to say, I'm mostly focussed on the genius and beauty of the composer's work, and I fall under the spell of the recording I'm listening to, which becomes my favorite until I try the next one. In the case of Ludwig van's 9th, I'm thinking of next splashing out with a HIP version like John Eliot Gardiner's....

But any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.