Garfield- Am I Cool Or What? Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

I do own it (...don't ask), but I have never actually played the thing. It just turned up again while unpacking after a move, so if the spirit moves me to put it on this weekend, I'll be sure to report back here.

3. PaulKTF

Great! Hope you find time to give it a listen.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did you see what I posted in the TMNT thread? It applies here, too... ;)

5. kagentry

kagentry Forum Resident

I picked this up a couple of years ago when I was trying to round up stray Temptations tracks. Not sure I ever made it all the way through the whole album.

6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

This CD came about after the successful sales of GRP's Happy Anniversary,Charlie Brown compilation that mixed $mooth jazz artists(Dave Grusin,David Benoit)with legitimate all stars(Dave Brubeck,Gerry Mulligan,Chick Corea)doing basically a Vince Guaraldi tribute album.The same folk behind the Peanuts animated series(Lee Mendelson,Phil Roman) were also guilty of animating Garfield.Sounded like a good idea at the time.The Garfield CD seemed to be put together with the sole intention of garnering airplay on then-popular $mooth jazz radio formats.These stations found that listeners stayed longer at the dial with a healthy dose of soft vocals from R&B stars between Gato Barbieri covering Carlos Santana.So the album is filled with folks like Patti LaBelle & B.B.King(King showed up on the Peanuts comp)performing pretty weak material,all digitally recorded to perfect sterilization by GRP.It's been a while since I listened to this but soft R&B vocals about a fat,lazy comic-strip cat sung by folks who really have chops just doesn't do it for me. Garfield ain't Snoopy.Jim Davis ain't Charles Schulz.And all of the writers of the music for the Garfield comp collectively don't add up to Vince Guaraldi's right hand.

7. PaulKTF

Okay, then I guess I'll pass on it. :)

Garfield used to actually be pretty clever and funny.

That was a long time ago, but at one point for the first couple of years of the strip it was good.

Jim Davis actually has very little to do with the strip. He at least had the honesty to admit that he started the strip because he thought it would be a merchandising cash cow (and he was right!).

8. PaulKTF

Like a moth to a flame, you are. :)

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Like a moth to a campy, kitschy, cheesy flame...

10. PaulKTF

Hey, I'm not arguing that you aren't right (about that, anyway). :)

11. PaulKTF

For reasons I can't explain, I ended up ordering this.

It makes for decent background listening. I like the Natalie Cole and Lou Rawls tracks. The rest of it is kind of indistinct but not terrible.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.