Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I love this version of Wozzeck, REALLY creepy....
    I have three versions, the 2-CD shown below, a LP version with this same cover as the CD (looks like an early version) and then the Odyssey version, which is the first one I owned, and really loved it.
    One of my favorite classical records...
    There is another version by James Levine, which sounds like it was recorded on an actual stage (I don't have it in front of me), and you can kinda of hear where the singers are standing, it has a weird effect....like you are standing in the middle of the singers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I hear ya. For some reason I'm inclined to think that I like Liszt better. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

3. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Don't think so, they were just inspired by the same dude. Apparently, Sibelius was too.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  4. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

This is a fabulous CD, IMHO. And Ferras is unfortunately so underrated. His Sibelius with HVK is my favorite recording of the concerto. His Tchaik would move you to tears, provided you're a fan of that particular concerto. The Berman is outstanding too.

The sonics are great. I have reissues from the Musikfest, Resonance and Privilege series, they're all excellent.

ToddBD likes this.
  5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Another excellent perspective on Smetana`s "Polka`s and Dances"......but again, Smetana`s piano music is firmly based on czech folk music (a lot of similar quotations can be heard on "Ma Vlast/My Country"), which seems to be lightweighted at the first glance but rewards recurring listening with insight and understanding of slawic roots and soul (the growing insight experienced is similar to the one with Schubert`s "Ländler aka German Dances")......

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

They're new. About five years old. All the core repertoire reference recordings in my book were made in the fifties and sixties, sometimes the seventies, sometimes earlier. The only reason I bought these was that I was not familiar with Smetana's piano pieces and they were dirt cheap.

7. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Thanks. I will try to get my hands on this one too. :wave::wave::wave:

Robin L likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 29 "Ludwig Van Beethoven - The 'Late Quartets'" performed by the Tokyo String Quartet from the "Music Of The Enlightenment" box on Harmonia Mundi.

[​IMG]

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I've seen Levine conduct both Wozzeck and Lulu at the Met. Both were impressive and among the most highly regarded productions in the Met repertoire.

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. john greenwood

I have those as a Hi Res download. But they are not from the XVIIIth Siecle. :confused:

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Indeed, that dude lived in modern-day Iraq ... :righton:

Joe071 likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I don't blame you. I love Arrau's Liszt.

Now enjoying (thanks again for the recommendation):

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

You are not alone. I did not even know Smetana composed some piano works ...

Joe071 likes this.
  14. coopmv

Those DG sublabels like Musikfest, Resonance and Privilege were probably last released in the 90's ...

15. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I hear it differently. For me the Elgar is not "sweet" but rather a deeply moving elegy for the dead of World War I and for the destruction of European civilization. It has long been my favorite cello concerto. I think it survives because it is a great piece of music.

As an aside, although there certainly are more great concertos for violin and for piano than for cello, there are first-rate works for cello and orchestra by Dvorak, Barber, Britten, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Lalo, Strauss and others, enough for people like Yo-Yo Ma to eke out a living.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

And I was just going to ask if it had arrived already.

Glad you like it. :wave:

17. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

So I read. :agree:

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I hope my neighbors are enjoying it. :laugh:

Joe071 likes this.
  19. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Listening to this one, great sound:
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass, Joe071, ToddBD and 1 other person like this.
  20. coopmv

I have only two of his CD's which most people have ...

Joe071 likes this.
  21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Just received a new box set:

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
    The Complete Works for Piano Solo
    Ana-Marija Markovina
    Hanssler, 2014
    26 CDs

It has had at least one very favorable review. I like the couple of discs I have heard, but will wait until I have completed it to decide on its recommendation.
    [​IMG]
    The pianist performs these on a Bosendorfer Imperial.

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning one of my favorite piano discs. Anyone else have this one? It has the best Night on Bald Mountain on record IMO.

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

How is the box so far? I hope you are enjoying it. I have the same kind of reservation about this box as that 35-CD (IIRC) Scarlatti box, which I do not think I will have the patience for. After all, we are not talking about works by JS Bach or Beethoven ...

24. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I'd like to see if the archival records at the New York Philharmonic or at AFM Local 802 confirm what I've heard, that Johnny Smith (of "Walk Don't Run" renown) is the guitarist in the beer-hall scene. Smith had warm recollections of those occasions when he worked with Dimitri Mitropoulos.

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  25. john greenwood

35 discs may be overkill even though I enjoy Scarlatti immensely. I have a 3 disc (56 sonata) selection from the Scott Ross box. I wish there were a 10 disc set. That would be just about right.

(Unfortunately, the Ross box is not on Spotify.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.