Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Oh, I'm sure they are...on the other hand, you can always put some Penderecki on, to calm 'em down. :agree: Or one of those test discs for that matter. :D

ToddBD and George P like this.
  2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I may have an affinity for CPE Bach.:) We will see after I make it thru the box set. However I try to never listen exclusively to any box set that has over 4 or 5 discs. I bought the 20? individual discs with Miklos Spanyi on the BIS label of CPE Bach's keyboard concertos and like about half of those.

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Mourning today`s loss of french jazz bassplayer extraordinaire Jean-Jacques Avenel, I`ve decided to play in his memory a (to me) new CD......

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The same here, as I skip from box to box. That is why I am still not done listening through the 60-CD Harnoncourt's Complete Bach Cantatas box after over four years ...

bluemooze likes this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

After reading this in a review for a Penderecki album on classicstoday, I had to buy it.

It is a great album

[​IMG]

Bachtoven, bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  6. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

It is indeed a great album. I have most of his orchestral works on Naxos. The choral box would be my next purchase.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have that album and the orchestral works box. The choral box is in my wish list. I'll get it eventually. To much music too little time.

Joe071 likes this.
  8. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

True, unfortunately.

9. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Breathin` the healing force of Suite No. 1.....

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

These are great performances. I have the 2CD-set with her 2010 recordings of the complete suites:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  11. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

And on the opposite pole of 20th C SQts there are the Korngolds, composed between 1923 and 1945. Actually they are much better than I would have thought. I think these qualify for George's Neglected Music list. I have this on vinyl but several more complete sets of the three were recorded on CD. Of course Kongold is less neglected now than he was in the 50s and 60s. The revival of Die Tote Stadt by Leinsdorf and reissue of some of his film music started the renewed interest.

[​IMG]

12. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

His 4tets are excellent and his violin concerto should be on that list too. Rozsa's too. Both performed by one and only: [​IMG]

13. coopmv

I already have many versions of the Bach Cello Suites but wonder if I need to add this version to my collection ... :whistle:

14. coopmv

Now playing the following long-forgotten CD from my Tchaikovsky collection ...

[​IMG]

Bachtoven, bluemooze, Joe071 and 2 others like this.
  15. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Hans,

this Gaillard re-recording of the Bach Cello Suites is part of my shopping list - did you have the chance hear her 2000 effort released on Ambrosie and if so, are there any significant differences between the two recordings divided by a 12 year timespan ?

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, I didn't. When I said earlier that "these are great performances" I meant the set I have.

Soulpope likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this live Chopin Preludes from Cherkassky, one of my favorite pianists. His teacher's (Josef Hofmann) fingers appear in my avatar.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I saw him in concert a bit more than 20 years ago.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just heard on Dutch radio that Frans Brüggen has died. He was 79. Dutch classical music has lost one of its greats.

20. coopmv

I read somewhere Josef Hofmann had had many outstanding students who either became conductors or concert pianists ...

21. coopmv

Just ordered the following SACD this morning. My choice of SACD has always been deliberate and methodical, i.e. it has to be worth the extra buck I spent over the redbook version.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  22. coopmv

Another sad day, he made many recordings with the great Leonhardt, Harnoncourt and the Kuijkens ...

23. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks!

Any recommendations for the complete quartets? I see a few sets on amazon.

25. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

Frans Brüggen RIP

bluemooze, Joe071, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.