Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Brüggen with the orchestra he founded.

Joe071 and Soulpope like this.
  2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Dear George,

I think the optimum performances are by Chilingirian for 1 and 3 and the Los Angeles Qt for #2. However the sets by the Doric and the Flesch are very good. They are warmly played but a bit less intense than the Chilingirian. I don't know which way your taste inclines. The Doric on Chandos get a nice clear recording too. Korngold's music sort of plays itself so the slight differences don't have the significance they might in Beethoven, Bartok etc.

bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

This is very helpful, thanks!

4. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now enjoying this repackage on Eloquence of Robin's recommendation:

[​IMG]

I'm liking the Ravel more than the Debussy.

Bachtoven, bluemooze, Robin L and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

These are difficult string quartets to play in terms of style and phrasing. Generally there are more good performances of the Ravel than the Debussy. You might also check out the Juilliard SQt. They did two recordings of these; one on RCA the other on CBS in the 70s. The CBS is a bit dreamier while the RCA is more incisive.

Joe071 and John S like this.
  6. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now enjoying the spirited playing of the Opus 18 quartets by the Sharon Quartet on the Brilliant Beethoven box. (Arts Music Recording, Rotterdam, 1998)

[​IMG]

7. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

I'm about to watch this before I hit the sack for the night:

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Should have been titled Open Reel String Quartet ... :winkgrin:

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Awesome playing and superb sound.

[​IMG]

Mr Bass, bluemooze and Manelus like this.
  10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Von Beethoven – Piano Sonatas Nos.1-3 Op.2, No.4 Op.7 — Eric Heidseck (EMI Music France)

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

For a 50 year old recording (the Brahms), this sounds pretty darn good, and of course, the Berlin boys are all at their peak.

[​IMG]

PH416156, Joe071, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The music is excellent, but I don't like the processed sound. Unfortunately, it's the only single CD reissue of this album as far as I know.

ToddBD and Manelus like this.
  13. George P

HvK in the 1960s is hard to beat!

PH416156, Joe071 and ToddBD like this.
  14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, the performance makes any minor audio issues irrelevant. I'm looking forward to this new set:

[​IMG]

The Two Piano Concertos and the Violin Concerto are on a DVD--should be wonderful!

bluemooze and SBurke like this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

As did I! Presumably your episode was in NYC or environs? Mine was in Chicago; I made my one and only trip to the Windy City, taking advantage of the then-new Southwest Airlines service there from the DC area and its cheap introductory fares, in part just to catch that recital. I've mentioned this before, but he managed to make music even out of Hindemith. One really, really good pianist, that.

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

How's his account of the Brahms sonata? Oddly enough, Earl Wild, not usually one of my top favorites, has much impressed me in that work, also not usually one of my top favorites. What strikes me about Wild's recording actually isn't the "big" stuff, powerful as that is; it's his delicate, songful work in the quieter passages. Not at all what I usually think of when I think of Wild, but there it is.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Nice! I am all over this.

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It comes out on Sept. 16th.

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I used to purchase SACDs almost indiscriminately, but in the past week or so, after hooking up my Sony 5400ES via its XLR outs and listening just in stereo, there isn't that much of a difference between SACD and a well recorded RBCD, and often the SACD performances/performers are inferior. Why listen to a Brahms symphony on SACD by some second rate orchestra, for instance, when one could listen to the incomparable Berlin Phil? I've done a lot of soul-searching and SACD purging this week! (By the way, they are listed on Amazon under "Classic CDs.") :)

kevinsinnott likes this.
  20. George P

Wild has impressed me the more I hear him.

Cherkassky is great in everything I hear him in, but today I did not listen to the Brahms, only the Chopin.

21. coopmv

IIRC, he also studied piano with Josef Hofmann in Vienna or Salzburg ...

22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Yes, Debussy's and Ravel's string quartets are two of my favorite pieces. They usually are paired as they are close (but of course not identical) in character and musical style. The two composers reportedly had their fans who claimed their guy was the "one", but they apparently were friends, although Debussy's treatment of his lover caused Ravel to help her privately.

Okay, which recording? My favorite is likely the first one I heard, hence bias alert is in order. It's the Philips Quartetto Italiano version. I've got it on vinyl, CD, remastered CD and SA-CD Japan import. They all sound beautiful, so don't dismiss the first Philips CD release which can be found for pennies. My first pressing was also very good. It still sounds good even though I didn't take good care of it and played it to baldness.
    [​IMG]
    There are lots of versions out there. I've not heard one I couldn't live with. Oh yes, there's an SA-CD that I didn't like because it had too much reverb for me. Among my favorite others is this one on Point Classics featuring the Travnicek Quartet.
    [​IMG]

Joe071, Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  23. coopmv

That has been exactly my observation. There are way too many second-rate orchestras/performers released their recordings in the SACD format. Unfortunately, better sound does not mean better performance ...

Collector Man and ToddBD like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

In selecting SACDs, I generally apply two criteria: (1) Is it a performance or music that I would want if it were not on SACD? (2) Can I find a copy from a reseller or such for $10 or less, shipping included? I very rarely buy if the answer to either question is "no," but I've still accumulated a fairly extensive collection of the things. (Haven't bought any recently, however; the prices for anything interesting have advanced a good deal, it seems, and it didn't help when Amazon bumped up its standard shipping fee by $1.) Let's face it: the days of the SACD format are probably tightly numbered, and players are already not all that common. Be prepared for SACDs to become, sometime not too far down the line, like Dolby FM: an interesting but now permanently silent idea. All it will take is the electronics mfrs. to decide it's no longer worth the bother, like index points on redbook discs. Of course, the hybrid ones will continue to be playable as redbook discs as long as standard CD players or computer CD drives are available, but I'm no optimist on the long-term prospects there, either, and after all why pay a premium for something that you'll end up playing as a standard product?

kevinsinnott likes this.
  25. George P

Shura Cherkassky did, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.