Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Just received a wrong CD in the mail this morning from an Ebay vendor:

[​IMG]

I could have fared much worse, of course, it could have been Britney Spears or 2 Pac. :( Anyways, I am not familiar with either of these works, but while listening to this CD, I just remembered a comment I read here a couple of days ago about some Baroque and Classical pieces being similar to what Hendrix was doing later on. I must say I'm totally taken aback by these two concertos, especially the extensive use of pentatonic scales here and there as well as what sounds to me as very innovative, or even Hendrix-like, phrasing, if you will. Who would have thought! I'm thoroughly impressed. :edthumbs:

kevinsinnott and bluemooze like this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Du Pre box has those works (assuming Boccherini only wrote one cello concert - seems unlike him :)). I enjoy the Haydn, can't really recall the Boccherini offhand.

Joe071 likes this.
  3. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Just googled him. Pretty prolific dude, to say the least, 12 cello concerti among other stuff. Wow!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Luigi_Boccherini

I remember when I had my guitar lessons as a kid, there was one or two of his compositions in the book. Which I hated at the time, of course. Other than that, I'm totally oblivious of his work. :hide:

john greenwood likes this.
  4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

There are 12 Boccherini Cello Concertos (he is said having been a good cello player too...) - two of these (No. 7+12) are treasured in my household via following excellent recording....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    ToddBD, bluemooze and Joe071 like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I love Boccherini!

ToddBD and Joe071 like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I recorded performances of these Boccherini Guitar Quintets featuring Richard Savino, guitar, and the Artaria Quartet, a string quartet that plays on original instruments, days prior to their "studio"* sessions for this CD. As my favorite catch-all review would phrase it—If you like this sort of thing, you'll like this sort of thing. The CD is very well recorded, the playing is excellent but the music never really held my attention.

[​IMG]

*Most of the time, this sort of music is recorded in churches known for good acoustics and relatively little background noise. The rates for a place like Skywalker are usually too high for a project like this. St. Stevens Church in Belvedere was frequently used for recordings like these, tucked far away from traffic and usually well out of the way of overhead flight patterns.

ToddBD, bluemooze and Bachtoven like this.
  7. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Excellent performance, analytical and spacial recording......

bluemooze, George P and Joe071 like this.
  8. john greenwood

I'll give them a try via Spotify. I have a set on Brilliant (Guitarist named Roselli) that does nothing for me.

A Francophile day so far. Currently listening to Savall's Couperin after Debussy's works for 2 pianos.

Robin L and Joe071 like this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Savall's Couperin is as good as it gets :righton:

Joe071 likes this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP DG 2531 047)

ToddBD, bluemooze, Bachtoven and 2 others like this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Is it worth it and how's the sound?

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

May I ask for some feedback about the transfer btw sound quality of subject Giulini CSO compilation ? Thnx in advance !!

KatyA likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Dvořák: Cello Concerto, Op.104 - Jean-Guihen Queyras with Jiří Bélohlávek/Prague Philharmonia; Piano Trio 4, Op.90 - Alexander Melnikov, Isabelle Faust and Jean-Guihen Queyras - Harmonia Mundi France

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott and bluemooze like this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

The performances are impeccable and the sound via vinyl is excellent, still I would like have it as CD too - see my request before, because the alternative to the DG Compilation Box would be two (as they split Schubert 4 and 8 on two CD`s) pricey SHM-CD`s....

Robin L likes this.
  15. drh

drh Talking Machine

The above can stand for all the Boccherini cello posts, as I'm under some time pressure here. Suffice it to say, "The Boccherini Cello Concerto" is no such thing--it's a pastiche of mvts. assembled from various Boccherini cti. and modified by a 19th c. cellist named Grutzmacher. That's not to say that it isn't a lovely and delightful work--it is--but it would probably more accurately be known as "Grutzmacher: Cello Concerto after Boccherini." Gotta run!

[edited to fix a neuron misfire regarding the arranger's name]

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  16. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

This is excellent. Queyras is one of my favorite contemporary cellists, along with Wispelwey and Vogler.

J.A.W. likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It is. I got this CD today and just listened to it. Great performances by all. Of all the "modern" violinists Isabelle Faust is my favourite. She has made some amazing recordings.

dale 88 likes this.
  18. George P

I love Wispelwey's second recording of the Bach Cello Suites!

19. Greg Arkadin

I don't have a point of comparison with vinyl, but they certainly sound good and I'd hate to miss out on some performances that you might not be able to find elsewhere. Until this box, for example, the Schubert 9 was extremely scarce.

If you're interested in an even deeper dive into his work on DG, you might forgo this and get the Art of Giulini box that has a lot of the performances in both Giulini in America boxes along with his Brahms cycle with the VPO, Bruckner 8 and 9 with the VPO and a Beethoven 9 with the BPO.

Soulpope likes this.
  20. Greg Arkadin

The one from the late '90s? That's one of my favorites as well.

21. George P

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

23. john greenwood

I remember reading that. Thought it was in the Du Pre liner notes but could not find it.

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Thnx for pointing out also the "Art of Giulini" Box - I do own and treasure the recordings with the VPO als individual releases.....

My actual interest is the Giulini Chicago compilation - as I`m not that fond of "CD Boxes" in general the input reg transfer/sound quality is helpfull to me....

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have the Japanese Hi-Fi Stereo label box set,pressed by Japanese Victor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.