The first commercial compact disc was produced on 17 August 1982.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

32 Years ago today. A format championed and lamented here and abroad, it brought me lots of music I love and still enjoy today. The tidbit above was from wikipedia, and here are some others:

Philips established the Polydor Pressing Operations plant in Langenhagen near Hannover, Germany, and quickly passed a series of milestones.

I don't have any of these early discs. I didn't start collecting them until 1987, and my first three titles were The Beatles' REVOLVER, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Greatest Hits (my only target CD), and the European copy of Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced, which didn't have the Purple Haze my cassette had, but introduced me to RED HOUSE. Good stuff.

2. SomethingAnything

SomethingAnything Forum Resident

I remember reading about how amazing the compact disc invention was in a newspaper before they were introduced in Australia. The journalist said you could eat your breakfast off them with a knife and fork, and they'd still play afterwards. I will never forget that. (Presumably he assumed we'd cleaned off any remaining scrambled eggs and breadcrumbs before we put the disc back into our players.) The paper was The Age.

I also remember marveling at the shiny side with its rainbow colours, but being disgusted at the rubbish plastic case packaging instead of a proper little cover. (Half a cent each, jewel cases cost to produce, I learnt later. Hate, hate, hate them.)

jordanlolss, ibanez_ax and Pinknik like this.
  3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

I remember seeing similar things on TV, where they spread jelly on disc, but you could still play it later. I on the other hand, love jewel cases. I think they did their job splendidly, and if they broke, there were easily, and cheaply, replaced. Never had a problem with them. Do not care for cardboard sleeves for CD. Just asking for a scratch. Lots of scratches. :)

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

When was the anniversary of the first defective CD?

I was there at several of Sony and Polydor's press conferences between 1979 and 1982 at CES, demonstrating the forthcoming technology of "The Digital Audio Disc," and I vividly remember a peanut-butter demo where they wiped on some sludge, wiped it all off, dropped it in the player, and the disc still played just fine.

5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Probably about 18th August 1982, something about being mastered too loud and sounded distorted.

scobb, jhayman and Vidiot like this.
  6. My first disc was Seconds Of Pleasure by Rockfield still have it. In contrast my first 4 track tape was Insight Out by The Association.

7. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Wonder where the Berlin Philharmonic disc is at

8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Amazing that a piece of technology 30+ years old is still in use today, in more or less the same form.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And I'll bet there's been some OCD guy that's been looking at the play side of the disc, over a bare light bulb, for 32 years now, and he STILL hasn't played it yet !!!!! He just " knows " he should get half of his money back !

:sweating:

FJC1966 and noname74 like this.
  10. SomethingAnything

Crunchy or smooth? An important question. :)

bleachershane, Purple Jim and Vidiot like this.
  11. SomethingAnything

I like the digipaks with the plastic tray holders best. A nice compromise. Someone said they were developed in Oz. Not sure if that's true, but they were adamant.

DLeet, ibanez_ax and Millington like this.
  12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I was a late starter; I remember I saw the first little display in the record shop with these small and costly marvels. Most of them were classical discs and were twice the price of a vinyl album. Around the time of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms the consensus seemed to be that CDs sounded way better. I remember the glowing review of the fantastic SQ of this album in our music magazine "Muziekkrant Oor".

willied, kenbefound and hi_watt like this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I have the Billy Joel, I believe.

14. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

"Sleight of Hand" probably?

15. Gasman1003

True - the CD player in my car works really well. Come to think of it, though, the basic technology that makes my car go is more than a Century old. "If it ain't broke don't fix it":righton:

16. I remember hearing that the compact disc was "indestructible," kind of like those "Unbreakable Combs," which really were difficult to break (I've never seen anyone do it without a flame). So, around 1985 one of my brothers decided to test the theory. I don't recall which CD is was - probably one that belonged to our parents, because it certainly wouldn't have been one of ours - but he took the CD and threw it across the room, like a Frisbee, whereupon it struck the fireplace and shattered into a dozen pieces.

We were really bummed because we felt lied to.

CDs really didn't catch on in my home until about 1987, when I purchased Electric Ladyland; so in a haze of pot smoke, gorged on Doritos and red Zingers I had my mind sufficiently blown. Music, for me, became indestrucatble from that moment on.

Erik B. and Gasman1003 like this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

my first compact discs purchased were Beethoven's 5th by Lorin Mazel and and CCR Chronicles some time in 1989. I came to the CD game a little late because I was a poor high school student and cds were EXPENSIVE

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Took me 14 years ( 1996 ) to let digital into my home. I've been an analog man since 1958.

hardknox, footlooseman and Gasman1003 like this.
  19. Gasman1003

Bought my first one in late 1985 - it was either David Bowie "Let's Dance" or Sade "Diamond Life".

Still have them both, but don't play them much as I only have a CD player in the car these days.

20. Sticks

Sticks Forum Resident

In Australia ABC Classic FM presented a one hour special on what we could expect from the CD age.
    They demonstrated a Philips disc of various sounds. The one I remember most was:

beginning with absolute silence then the sound of a blow fly buzzing across the stereo landscape; a train whistle way of on the LH side then the sound of the engine increasing in volume as the bells at a crossing right in front of you begin to clang; the train rushes past making everything shake and rattle then starts to disappear on the RH side as the bells stop; when the train has almost disappeared the buzzing fly is heard again then silence. It lasted around 3 or 4 minutes.

It was mind blowing for someone who grew up with AM static and the pops and clicks of vinyl.

I wish I had that recording today for the nostalgic appeal.

21. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

My uncle knew a guy in the industry and I heard The Beach Boys on CD in 1984 from a portable player and headphones in the passenger seat of his '78 Plymouth Volare. Needless to say I was blown away and it's probably no coincidence I became a DJ within a year though I didn't invest in compact discs until Sgt Pepper was released in the summer of '87. I don't recall who made the Beach Boys disc and it may have just been a test demo but I will never forget that experience. Made me a bigger Beach Boys fan too...

LivingForever likes this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The CD in 1982 courtesy of Micheal Fremer :D
    (the early CDs back then did kinda suck, especially the early Roxy Music "Avalon" discs)

(Michael Fremer using his middle finger to display what I assume is a Roxy Music "Avalon" CD from 1982)
    [​IMG]

LeBon Bush likes this.
  23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

My first was Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms in 1985
    I also acquired a few Japanese Denon CDs with various classical music and the Denon Audio Test Disc which apparently is worth quite a bit.
    It's funny that Phillips invented the CD but their players were terrible, I had two that failed early.

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

My first CDs were Bowie's Let's Dance, Phil Collins' Hello I Must Be Going, Tina Turner's Private Dancer & Streisand's Guilty in April 1985. Still have a couple of those.

I remember the CD player was so expensive (a Ferguson model) that I barely had any money left for any discs to play on it!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Me too. I had a 104 I bought off a lad at work in the mid-80s and later on (not learning any lessons) a 304. Both were forever being repaired. I say that, but they could never get to the bottom of the 304's problem(a), so it never really was repaired!

I gave up and bought a Technics SL-P1000. Horrendously expensive, but still plays today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.