Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Into The Storm is getting even worse reviews, currently sitting at 11% on RT.

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think anyone expected much out of that one, though. It's basically a Twister re-hash, 18 years too late. I personally think it's in bad taste, since there have been some very serious tornadoes happening just this year, in which many people have lost their property or their lives. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Guardians made $9 million yesterday (a Wednesday) after pulling in $12 million on both Monday and Tuesday. $50 million weekend for sure.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'Into the Storm' may be one of those movies that is critic proof. The budget is a reported $50 million [almost all of that probably spent on special effects - and the disaster FX are its appeal], so it has a relatively lower bar to meet than the other potential box office hits [like 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] to be profitable. I imagine 'Guardians of The Galaxy' is going to rule the box office again this weekend.

5. Maggie

I really thought Turtles would bomb, but it made $65 million (an excellent figure for a late-summer movie, similar to what Dawn of...Apes pulled in at the start of July). It handily beat Guardians, which made $42 million or so, which was less than I was expecting. Evidently, it lost audience share to Turtles.

Into the Storm didn't do that well ($18 million opening). Too much audience overlap with Guardians and Turtles.

Apes will hit $200 million this week.

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It is interesting, as *every* comment or prediction I read online was certain that Guardians would handily outperform Turtles in its second week. Some articles were ready to announce some new paradigm shift in movies, where Guardians would not only do better than previously expected, but would actually build its audience in week two.

I think the Turtles film seemed rather slight to me. I felt like 30 minutes of actual usable plot was deleted or something. Seems like they edited the thing down and made it super safe as far as taking any sort of risk. Too bad, as the now likely sequel may follow that same formula.

I still feel it wasn't any worse than similar action film fare. If they get a better script and director, a sequel could actually be much better.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

There are a few serious tornadoes every year. I doubt someone is going to be offended unless the movie makes fun of tornado victims. Sharknado?

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

It seems as though "Into the Storm" did about what was expected, considering the budget and whatnot. I didn't know anything about that film until I saw at trailer for it before "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." I honestly thought they had either re-booted or made a very late sequel to "Twister" until the title came up.

At least we know Lori from "Walking Dead" is getting some jobs.

It's weird, even as I watched Ninja Turtles Saturday afternoon, I was still assuming it wasn't doing super well at the box office. Every person in line I overheard was ordering tickets to "Guardians." The Turtles theater was pretty full though I suppose. A lot of kids. The movie didn't have much laughs. People laughed more at the annoying Slim Jim commercial than they did the movie.

9. Maggie

Well, I can't imagine anyone predicting that Guardians would build in week 2 -- summer movies don't do that, or at least, haven't done that in 25 years. It sometimes happens at Christmastime, and it ALMOST happened with Avatar whose premier coincided with a huge snowstorm in most of the US. But it just can't happen in the summer when teenagers, etc. are out of school and at liberty.

I don't know that I was expecting Guardians to outgross Turtles, but I thought it would be closer than it was. I'm surprised by how much audience Guardians lost between week 1 and 2.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Basically every summer blockbuster this year has seen significant drops in the second week, often around 60%. You either make a huge take in your first week or you're doomed, especially if there is another large tentpole opening that following weekend. Too many giant movies shoved into too short of a time span.

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I thought it bombed, but the new Sandler movie actually made money...$40M budget vs $121M at the box office so far

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=blended.htm

Brazil and Mexico are the two strongest foreign markets for "Blended"

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=blended.htm

I read somewhere that it might have been a flop, but as a Jolie fan :D I'm pleased to see that Maleficent passed the $700M mark, even outgrossing the 2014 Captain America and Spiderman movies.
    Hopefully, more "live" Angelina films in the future and not just Kung Fu Panda sequels.

http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm

mikeyt likes this.
  12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The Expendables 3 bombed bad basically Piracy?
    it's all over the interweb that should stole ? clean copy
    and let it loose on the torrent sites.
    I hear plot really sucked and using rubber bullets if is true?
    the whole franchise has been spayed.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I hardly think so - can't polish a...you know what. Lionsgate is simply trying to bolster its revenue stream by blaming and extorting file sharers.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

she is a must see...ever see GIA?

15. Michael

maybeso, but you can bronze it.

16. Michael

they went after a million ppl who DL the first one! I'm sure they are gearing up!

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Yeah, the movie wasn't tracking that well even before the the leak. I think this was a dud bc the series' novelty wore off after the second one, which was only a modest improvement over the first movie which under delivered in terms of actual entertainment.

Vidiot and robertawillisjr like this.
  18. Michael

19. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I had high hopes for this because it was from the writer of Training Day. But it totally sucked. The story was just so average, predictable and uninteresting. A lot of the acting was bad too and there were some decent actors cast so I am assuming there must have been terrible scriptwriting and direction given. Some of the action scenes were kind of cool. IMO it's suckiness is not because of Ahnold.

20. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Crap! I meant to go see "Get On Up", the James Brown film, and I don't think it was here more than a week. Maybe this would have been better off released during the fall, amongst the more serious Oscar-contenders.

21. hogger_reborn

hogger_reborn Active Member

waiting for x-men days of future past to come to blu ray. i think they said october.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Worn out by that one.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Looking forward to Captain America 2 coming out on Blu-ray shortly.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It'd be nice if Amazon would list it so I could run my review! :mad:

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

$425 million and rising... I'd say this is a huge unexpected hit for Marvel, and they're extremely happy that its U.S. success has translated very well overseas. Realistically, with a cost of $170M, I'd say it's already very close to profit and probably will take in another $100M+. The other thing is that I tend to doubt there was any profit participation, so Disney/Marvel gets to keep all de money, which they always like. They could literally wind up making a bigger profit margin on this movie than (say) Iron Man or Avengers, since all the Guardians actors were low-key.

I'd say Guardians lead actor Chris Pratt is gonna zoom up very fast, particularly since he's now filming Jurassic World. Whoever thought this guy would turn into the next big action star? I'd bet he got (at most) $2M for this film, and he's probably tripled that by now. Watch him get $10M for Guardians 2. Very nice payday.

Doh, big boycott going on against Amazon, and that's one of the titles. Here it is from Target for $28:

http://www.target.com/p/captain-ame...d0003&afid=109370&clkid=1007442194&lnm=8-9651

Maggie and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.