Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the Bruckner 8th he recorded for EMI. How do they compare?

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Me too! And this one is no exception, proceed without caution! :wave:

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Hmm...after finishing Aimard's WTC, I listened to a bit of Richter's (SACD remastered version), and I think I was a bit generous in praising Aimard! Compared to Richter, Aimard is rather cold and uses no pedal. Still, his playing is notable for its remarkable clarity.

[​IMG]

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I haven't heard the EMI recording.

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

John, Thanks for sharing. When it comes to Bach keyboard works, I am more impressed with Nikolayeva than with Richter.

I actually have the following Shosty recording by her ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. coopmv

I have the following Art of Fugue by Aimard, though I am in no mood to rush out to get another version of WTC unless it is very special ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have both and I prefer the 70s DG recording. There is also an 8 with the VPO which he recorded in the 80s which I do not like very much. I think that the older EMI is also very good, so, I guess, it comes down to a matter of preference.

Karajan has a great live recording of the 8th from Salzburg in 1957 (Orfeo) which is definitely worth checking out although the sound is not ideal.

9. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

PB :

[​IMG]

stupendous performance, textbook transfer...

kevinsinnott, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

(CD Capriccio C10609) this is (IMO) one of the most impressive Bruckner 5 performances ever, recorded in 1990 at the Bruckner "cathedral" in St. Florian and documenting the elusive insights of conductor Kurt Eichhorn......neither the conductor nor subject recording seem to be widely known, but should be shouted from the rooftops !!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Is this 'Live'? I have the studio recording on the EMI 2-SACD set.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Is this 'Live'? I have the studio recording on the EMI 2-SACD set.

13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Yes that`s recorded live @Konzerthaus Vienna in very good mono sound on December 7th, 1963 - the EMI studio stereo recording took place on December 12th, 1963.......both recordings are outstanding, whereby the studio cut is even more analytical whereas the live recording captures the momentum and glory immediately...

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Carl Schuricht was one of the outstanding Bruckner conductors—the recording of the Ninth with the VPO on the EMI SACD set is full of dread, as unique in its way as Furtwängler's sole recording from 1944 with the Berlin philharmonic.

5-String and Soulpope like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Rachmaninov: Symphony 2, Op.27; Scherzo; Vocalise, Op.34/14 - Mariss Jansons/St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra - EMI

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've been listening to this collection since Friday. These are very nice performances by someone who was very close to Strauss but I am surprised with how different they are from the recordings of Karajan or Reiner, for instance.
    Krauss is the only one that IMO has managed to capture perfectly the sensuality of Strauss' works.

[​IMG]

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

First time listen to the Weissenberg/HvK Beethoven 1st PC. It sounds as if Weissenberg's dynamic range is p to ppp. The entire recording level is low, but the piano is ridiculous.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

The same here. You no doubt have better ears since you are in the recording biz. How do you like that EMI SACD twofer?

22. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, which arrived a few days ago for a first listen. This is my first recording by Monteux on CD ...

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

This may be an excellent performance even though it is sound unheard. I have always enjoyed vintage Philips recordings of the RCO with Haitink ... :righton:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The faults of sound in the Bruckner 8th—too close, not enough sense of space—that's the fault of the master recording. The 9th is spendid, an excellent transfer of an excellent original. Worth the price of admission.

25. coopmv

CD1 includes Beethoven Symphonies Nos 1 & 3. Now playing CD2 - Symphonies Nos 6 & 8 for a first listen ...

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.