Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #59)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Nielsen: Symphony 4, Op.29; Sibelius: Tapiola, Op.112 - Herbert von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra - DG

[​IMG]

Mik, Bachtoven, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This CD has an unpleasant, shrill sound, especially in the strings, typical of the digital DG recordings of the era (1980s).

Mr Bass likes this.
  3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. There is nothing more ready for a personal ' sound turn -off' than for instance , hearing some recorded ...clapped out fortepiano -attempting to perform for example , Mozart- Seemingly recorded - in a most amatuer fashion , down in some granny's echoing broom cupboard. It is as if....those forms of soundcape - are meant to fool and impress.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Both sets are nice and Buchbinder is an outstanding pianist ...

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: 6 Suites for Solo Cello, BWV 1007-1012 - Pierre Fournier - 2 CDs, DG

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Inspired by all this hatred of HIP performances I'm going to listen to and enjoy one later on :)

7. Collector Man

Yes, you are correct. Amongst serious collectors that followed just about every new release...this Neilsen Symphony No4 was always known as just another one of V.K 's own 'still -born creations' from that early digital period .... RATED "dead on arrival". No doubt as often, due to his tinkering with the sound and balances in regard to the final product-released onto the market. Who remembers the promoted Von Karajan re-issues from DG of some of those same period -CD releases under the false sold- product promotional term ...of "Digital Gold"????!!!
    Were they even physically pressed as 'gold discs CD's' ? NO!!! Just more of the same old Von Karajan S#*t manufactured in ordinary silver, in CD cases that had, wait for it.... gold painted internal , CD holding trays! One though could at the time muse, what was more fake? ... Either, the package presentation or V.K''s post - recording , microphone dial twiddling exercises.

geralmar likes this.
  8. Collector Man

You are most welcome to do so...:D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

May I suggest this rip-roaring performance of Pachelbel's Canon?

[​IMG]

The term I heard for MAK's performance style is "Speedmetal Baroque."

Mik, drh, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:laugh:

I only have one MAK set, the Brandenburgs.

11. Collector Man

I have just decided to 'hit the sale trigger' and pre- order boxes of two pianists' .....
    (1) Nelson Friere's 7 box set of his past performances
    (2) The 10 disc set of early recorded Jorge Bolet .
    Both which are due, out soon. :)

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I must admit I have only one Nelson Freire, his recent Brahms concerti set with Riccardo Chailly/Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig, and nothing by Bolet. Maybe I should do something about it when finances are less tight.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That qualifies for the "Speedmetal Baroque" moniker.

Mr Bass likes this.
  14. coopmv

This is the version I have in my collection ...

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  15. coopmv

Most German baroque ensembles have brisk tempos, MAK included. For me, their tempos are often a tad too fast ...

16. Collector Man

This group I personally can, truly actually appreciate. Such talent and their sheer simple ability 'to musically communicate' such as they represent - always shines through, over the loads of so much other pretentious Baroque style -dross that was and still continuously released , today.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

If you want to test how your stereo system can cope with a very demanding recording try this:

[​IMG]

Turangalila Symphonie has been a long time favorite of mine and the performance as well as the sound quality of this Hyperion CD are supreme.

Mik, bluemooze and Mr Bass like this.
  18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I saw the Turangalila at Disney Hall with Dudamel and JYT. It was amazing.

ToddBD, 5-String and Mr Bass like this.
  19. Collector Man

I have to smile whenever I see one of these typical Von Karajan " Vanity Photo -shots." What ..... ever changed from the photo shoot for hte cover on his 1963 Beethoven Symphony box? I can hear someone exclaiming ..." Yes, I know he would have approved this above shot...making sure, that he was captured 'in the right light'.........AND at the right angle" . BUT they also missed out on having him ( as was always - just as usual!) , also reaching with arms outstretched, seemingly set amongst an Olympic style sunset sky....as no doubt - the one & only musical Messiah, he beleieved , he was".
    I constantly kept imagining him as a clown -with photographers : perhaps, forever vamping it up with ' a Norma Desmond'... "I am now ready for that next important shot..":yikes:

20. Scott Wheeler

I see plenty to criticize when it comes to HVK. But I don't really see any problems with his publicity stills.

21. Collector Man

the original 'first' DG releases of Michelangeli's Debussy contributions were indeed a mean tight financial exercise. As now seen and proven , with the 'compactness shown by DG ' on their CD re-issue. I can though understand tDG, in their difficulty in getting him to record 'enough material - in variety & quantity' to properly fit on a decent CD or two, and satisfy their marketing departments.
    Later on, watching Michelangeli's latest releases in Italy : CD's he had either then recently recorded / or had been seriously recorded via radio broadcasts...... invariably they had tons of overlapping materials on rival discs. As if he was a classic full blown 'O.C.D' and could not be ever satisfied, to leave this or that composition be.
    I was not surprised to then hear, that if anyone should so much as even merely touch or lay a finger on the cabinet of his own beloved piano... he went irrationally / hysterically ballistic' . Perfectionism , sometmes has 'a price'

22. Scott Wheeler

I would expect OCD to be a common affliction among classical musicians. I can see how it can actually make one a better classical musician. But as you say, at a a price.

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, a couple of early HIP performances, recorded in 1993-1994 :) : J.S.Bach: Harpsichord Concertos, BWV 1053; BWV 1055 - Christophe Rousset with Christopher Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music - l'Oiseau Lyre; from this disc:

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Here's the cover I have:
    [​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and alankin1 like this.
  25. Collector Man

In reflection and collective referenced totality: they scream of a hideous attempt at a vain cultish pretentiousness.
    Posthumously...it has come to pass.
    Imagine the cluttered confusion and congestion on the Classical scene if each and every one of its deceased notable creatures, also -like V.K - had a physical museum, created- not specifically to sponsor future artists - but as an perpetuating aggrandishment to their memory.
    Let's deconstruct "V.K" back into - what is reality : ..... he in fact, was nothing more than "another glorified , human -egg beater with a stylized kitchen whisk, in his hand":shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.