McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Don't give up. Keep trying! There's always "Hope". ;) Arnie

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Your surely don t refer the rumoured opus 'piss on your grave"
    If that song exists I actually doubt Paul would sentence it to his ex. With all his faults Paul actually seems to decent as a person to adress the Mother of his child that way. But I might be wrong of course

3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Look at you, building bridges up to the sky. You know what I say - hope shines brightest in the dark! :D

mrjinks, She is anyway and theMess like this.
  4. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Great new song. His voice sounds amazing on this one.

theMess likes this.
  5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

It must be great to be Macca

Doooooo

6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that the vocals are very good overall, but as you said, they are not flawless. Thankfully, they are not embarrassing in any way, and I think that they are very impressive for a 72 year old. If he can keep on singing like this, then there is no need to worry about him putting out at least a few more albums over the next 3 or 4 years.

As for the song itself, I agree with you that it is a very good track, and I also understand your concerns, but I think that you are worrying too much. Music in games rarely sounds like music on the charts, and in any case, big anthem songs are very popular at the moment, so either way, I think that the song will be will received, even by teenagers. It may not be modern sounding, but I don't think that it sounds 'old fashioned' either.

Isejingu likes this.
  7. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

A part of the song is coming from " kiss Me Now " , an unreleased song from 1984 which was demoed by George Martin ( The part from 2.00 to 2.18 mn .

i love this song : Really great vocals, full of passion

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is that the song that was rediscovered recently?

Do you know which part of the song is the Kiss Me Now part?

9. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

Anyone have any details on the release? Someone here has got to. Will there be a separate release or will the stick it on the "collectors edition" of NEW?

I'm not too crazy about his voice. Kind of like "My Soul". Both great songs, but raspy on the vocal parts.

Glad to see some else heard a similarity between this and "Through Our Love". Especially the orchestration and horns. For some reason the overall sound reminds me of a Chaos bside (of course with way more production).

It's hard for me to listen to YouTube audio without cringing so I'll hold off all my true opinions till later..

10. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

I do know it was brought out last year for orchestra overdubs. Could of morphed itself into "Hope". Also there was a song from the NEW sessions called "Build a Bridge", so I'm wondering if it was also morphed in.

Would be neat. Off topic, but the song from NEW I want to see released, "Demon's Dance".. Damn catchy tune, plus some great piano by Paul.

theMess likes this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Cool, a new McCartney song. I like it even though it does sound like something for a movie. I realize that everyone doesn't like every song but I'm surprised at the EARLY criticism of this song. It seems like a grower to me.

Oh, and I think his voice sounds great.

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I don't suppose you're going to say where you managed to hear some of "Demon's Dance", are you?

theMess likes this.
  13. janmaccazwan

janmaccazwan Forum Resident

Hope for the future, The song is getting better all the time!!

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As a gamer (and someone who actually has the game in question), I can assure you that the intended age range of people playing this game is 15-35, 40 if you're stretching it. I guarantee you nobody will form any sort of opinion on Paul, positive or negative, based on this song in the credits.

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Nah, this is the break he's been waiting for! The New reissue is sure to sell a million copies due to the exposure! It's going to open him up to a whole new audience! :D

graystoke, theMess and supermd like this.
  16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Surely, the album's had a NEW audience since it was released...

theMess and Frank like this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

For anyone who wants to wind up their time machine and go back a year, remember how we were all abuzz awaiting New? And some of us were intrigued in the sales/chart placement of the album?

Well, this is kinda/sorta/not really a followup on that. Or maybe it's just an interesting (or not!) factoid that caught my attention, but...

Early projections on the new Robert Plant solo disc - out yesterday - are that it will sell 24,000-27,000 copies in its first week. More people bought the first three Zeppelin reissues than that. Anyway, just thought a couple of you might be interested in that.

Now back to balls, or whatever our topic of the day is here. :)

theMess likes this.
  18. TheCatInSatinTrousers

TheCatInSatinTrousers Forum Resident

Here is some of Demon's Dance as performed at the Bonnaroo soundcheck last year; go to 34:32 in the video:

Sounds like a catchy little tune to me, I hope it gets released soon as well!

Yorick, theMess and She is anyway like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

You are right Ben, the vocal sounds very good .

I'm not a gamer at all but I know you are so..how does this song fit in the scheme of things ? Do all the gamer things generally require this gigantic "epic" sort of production ?

Tbe vocal/vocals sound so good and the over reverbed snare sticks out so much that if I didn't know better and someone played me the track I would have guessed the track was recorded by Paul in the 80's or early 90's. It sounds old to me in that sense. Did they give Phil Spector a weekend pass to produce this song?:D I think I'm going to like it a lot because I like it well enough already, but this is one of those tracks I need to hear a few times for it to settle in, ala "I Want to Go Home" or similar.

Things like this just help confirm for me that most first generation McCartney, Zeppelin,etc., fans are only interested in the songs of their youth and don't really care about theses guys as current, evolving artists, and most younger folks don't care for the music of their parents era either, which sad to say...has pretty much always been the case.:D
    I always take great pains to mention that I refer to the general public , not my fellow music obsessed friends here on the forum.

Therefore, I care not one bit if these sort of things help Paul expand his audience or ....whatever. He's done fine for 50 years, so as long as he keeps releasing quality music I'm comfortable with mediocre sales of his things. 72 year old guys just aren't really relevant to the pop market. Be an artist and follow your muse Paul, I'll still tag along.:p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    mrjinks and theMess like this.
  20. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

love it

foxylady and theMess like this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't think that I have ever seen another game that has had a rock songwriter contribute to the score and write a theme song for the game, so I cannot really compare it in that sense, but I do know that most of the games that I have played like to have sweeping, string heavy music, so I am sure that Hope will be well received. The fact that it is reminiscent of a film score is a good thing; most of the soundtracks to games are very similar to film scores.

I really like the fact that it has such a grand, Spectorish sound to it, and like you, I already really like the song, and I can only foresee liking it more in future, because that is also what has happened with the songs on New.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting! :righton:

It does sound like a very upbeat and catchy song. I wonder if it is an outtake from New?

Yorick likes this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for your input about game music Ben.:wave:

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Have you heard more of Demon Dance than was recorded at the soundcheck?

25. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Oh dear. I guess I'm a dissenter here, but this reminds me of some of the overproduced, schlocky ballads Paul did in the '80s, with lyrics straight from Hallmark. I even like "Hosanna" better than this, and I don't like "Hosanna."

Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.