Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://mobile.twitter.com/dyenero/status/510296448693710848

Has anybody else noticed this on social media? I've been seeing people only COMPLAIN about the new U2 album appearing on their iPods, and I can't help but wonder why? It's mostly young people who like hip hop too probably but still, maybe they could give it a chance? It appreciate the free music? Why complain about something that's free? And then why can't they just delete it if they don't want it? It just seems like such a ridiculous thing to complain about.

This infuriates me just a little bit. Comments?

Grant, ben_wood, MrRom92 and 6 others like this.
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I'll give it a shot. I haven't bought a U2 album since the 80's but I'll give it a listen. If I don't like it...I'll delete it.

Seems simple to me.

BryanA-HTX, Grant, ben_wood and 10 others like this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I think die hard U2 fans give them too much credit. There's a backlash from casual listeners who are sick of the Rolling Stone five star rating talk. Most casual listeners have heard this for fifteen years and are just sick of hearing it. IMO

4. bcaulf

I mean I'm not expecting people to listen to it if they don't want to, I just don't understand why people are complaining about something that was offered to them for free. If it was impossible to delete it, then I would understand, but there are easy ways to get it off of there.

Grant, lbangs, Drifter and 1 other person like this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't have iTunes and don't know how this works, but when you say it just appears on their iPod without them doing anything to get the album in the first place, I might see their point. If it is offered for free, someone should still have to affirmatively download it. Otherwise its like an unwanted pop up add. How would you feel if you turned on your iPod one morning and the new Jay Z album was there downloaded and on your device. And you're not a rap fan. Might you not feel a bit annoyed? Like something was being pushed on you?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this works. I'm an old guy who's gonna buy the CD.

6. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with it but I don't use the cloud so I didn't see it anywhere and when I went to the iTunes store to download it, it said I had already purchased it. It was confusing. Apple could have just made it free at the store for anyone who wanted it. I'm not surprised some people are upset.

For the record, I kind of like the album. Haven't said that since "Pop".

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I haven't had enough time to listen (as my headphones just broke and this week was nuts with work so I wasn't able to get out to replace them) but I did listen to the closer the troubles and it was great.

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

People who have their phones set to automatically download from the cloud are the ones who are complaining. I don't have my phone set up that way. I had to actively download the album to iTunes, but it automatically appeared in the cloud whether you wanted it or not if you have an iTunes account.

That is, there was no option to not get it at all if you didn't want it.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I think it was a great idea to give their new album away for free ... because, otherwise, I definitely would've skipped it after disliking the last two albums and the free single earlier this year. That said, I still haven't downloaded it into my iPhone.

bcaulf likes this.
  10. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Because they are caught in that vicious circle called first world problems?

11. bcaulf

I understand your point, but I wouldn't be annoyed. I would either give it a shot anyway because it was free, or, if I didn't really want it, I would just delete it.

jsayers likes this.
  12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Maybe they don't want tedious corporate rock infiltrating their ipods without their consent. I know I wouldn't.

13. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Most of the complainers on my Facebook news feed are hipsters.

14. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

If it's good, it will have a life. If it sucks, it will be forgotten next week.

timind and LavidDange like this.
  15. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I kind of wanted to hear it so I didn't exactly mind, but it was still disquieting. Am I going to wake up next week with a Justin Bieber album on my iTunes? Or 20 albums by people I never heard of? Send a message and let people know it's free, don't just break into someone else's music collection and deposit your...um, stuff.

16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Someone did something you don't agree with...must be fans of the hip-hop.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The older folk may not understand this but for the younger generation their phone holds their life. They play their music on it, communicate with friends on it, take pics that document their day to day life on it, etc....so when some monster company decides to just put something unsolicited in their cloud it's just not cool...it's hard for people that are the age of most of our members to understand how almost everything in young peoples lives is in some way connected to their phone. So when you have something so integral to your life you don't want someone messing with it....which is kinda what apple did.

19. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

DLant, Linus Vendeen and vamborules like this.
  20. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the band, and of the album, but I also understand the complaints. In an era where one of the key issues is personal privacy and companies/governments accessing your data etc, it is disconcerting to wake up one morning to find an album you didn't ask (or want) sitting there with the ones you did want. Not everybody is happy with that sort of approach. If Apple (or whoever) can put music on your phone/computer against your will, what else can/will they do?

Further, specific to U2, I said in advance of this happening (when if was rumoured that the new iphone would come with the new U2 album pre-loaded) that it is also totally the wrong approach for U2. Their problem is not that nobody knows who they are: EVERYBODY has an opinion on U2, few of which are being shifted with the release of a new album, however good or bad that album may be. Part of u2's 'problem' is that their image is - at least in part - affected by the idea that they are a Big, Corporate Brand as much as a band these days. (Agree or disagree personally, you can't deny that's how a lot of people think of them.) For such a band to hook up with a major media corporation (Apple) to magically put their music on everyone's phones shows complete tone-deafness to how sections of the population will react.

Like I said: I'm a fan, but they handled this wrong. They could've just made the album free to download - like 'Invisible' was - without making it the default.

21. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

Most younger people don't look at music as a product that has monetary value. Therefore, the fact that it was "free" doesn't register. All music is free. Music is something that takes up time and space. This U2 album invaded their time and space without their consent. As someone else already mentioned, this really makes it no different from a pop-up ad. So I can see the basis for the complaining, definitely.

22. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Sounds like most of the people that are complaining are too stupid to setup up iTunes or their device correctly. Don't want to see cloud tracks in your iTunes library? There is a setting for that. Don't want things to download automatically to your device? There is a setting for that.

ben_wood, sherrill50, Eska68 and 12 others like this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

:laugh:
    Funny not sure who this U2 is but your music is worse than Rebecca black’s Friday song
    — Lindsay Ignazio (@lindsay_ignazio

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I was complaining before it was cool.

SteelyTom, troggy, saturnsf and 6 others like this.
  25. proust78

proust78 Forum Resident

This would have definitely annoyed me if I had an iPhone. Reading the Mac fan sites, it looks like it is pretty tricky to delete it off an iPhone. Think of tens of millions of people having to take the time out of their lives to delete something off their phone they didn't order. They though the terms and conditions would just allow purchased music to be downloaded. Not to mention all of the data expended from someone's plan for something they didn't order (and the carbon footprint), and the storage space they thought was theirs.

Picture yourself at the gym, listing on shuffle, and strange songs you didn't order pop up. Or you're taking pictures and suddenly your phone says your out of memory because a 250 mb download that you didn't want and didn't even know arrived.

spindly, Music Geek, Steve G and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.