Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The last new car I bought included features that weren't wanted but these had to be paid for anyway. Ditto for channels on the cable bill every month. Welcome to the real world.

Grant, ibanez_ax and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

If you give someone in today's world a free $20 they'd complain it wasn't $100.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

most complaining already didn't like U2 and used this opportunity to bash the band.

Grant and Oatsdad like this.
  4. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

yeah but they have a reason for doing that, a reasonable one as valid as the people who love the band.

You cant tell people here is my music, listen to it whether you like me or not that's for sure....egomaniac ways...

5. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Most people hate preloaded bloatware on their new devices, I know I do. But as long as you can delete it, I don't see what the big deal is. That being said, I think it is a bit much of Apple and U2 to shove the record down everyone's throats like that. If U2 fans want to buy it, that's fine, but forcing it upon people like this makes them seem kind of desperate.

6. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suppose this is somewhat true, but I see it as a promotional thing for Apple, since U2 performed at the Apple conference the day the album came out. Also, this isn't supposed to be the U2 studio album that was announced a few months ago. I think this is supposed to be something that comes along side the iPhone 6, something to be on the phone for people who might be new to the iPhone and haven't gotten the chance to explore iTunes yet, because the iPhone by default comes empty. Sort of similar to how the U2 edition iPod Nano's came preloaded with the U2 box set or whatever that was. Either way, I see your point as this release could seem like a beg for people to listen to their music. I just don't think U2 really have that issue, considering they're one of the biggest bands in the world.

7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Perhaps, but if you gave me $100 worth of U2 albums, I still wouldn't want them.

Giving the album away isn't the issue, it's the way they did it.

It's closer to coming home and finding out someone sunk into your house and left a free record on your living room table than someone handing you a free $20.

8. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Itunes aint someones house. Its a thing owned by Apple.

9. Smiths22

And for the people out there who have no interest in checking us out, look at it this way… the blood, sweat and tears of some Irish guys are in your junk mail. Bono.
    http://www.u2.com/news/title/remember-us

Oh man, I want to shed a tear but only a little one. :cry: That's a politician speech.

DDTM, nbakid2000, bob60 and 1 other person like this.
  10. This. But again, just turn off the automatic cloud download feature. I like to control what goes back and forth anyway.

11. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

They shouldn't have that issue, which might be part of the reason for the negative backlash. It's similar to when a politician floods the television with ads right before an election. The vast majority of people have already made up their minds about who they are going to vote for, and are just annoyed by all the ads. U2 is widely known, and everyone already has an opinion on them one way or the other.

I'm just thinking critically about the question posed in the OP, by the way. I have no ill will towards U2.

DDTM, e.s. and bcaulf like this.
  12. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The means by which they released it, sorta like a gimmick?

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I bought these Beatles albums and most of them had this little card in them with an advertisement for the Love show. How dare they?

goombay likes this.
  14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

It could be a sign of things to come by other bands/artists. Methods of music distribution are of course rapidly changing.

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Not quite the same as actually inserting a copy of Love into every album, though.

And for the record, I personally don't care, but I do get why someone would object to such an invasive marketing tactic.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Simple enough to delete it if not wanted, people still get mail (advertisements, junk mail, offers, coupons, etc.) I don't like the mailbox stuffed, but come on in 2014. Social media opens the door!

Some of the tracks remind me of the War period, still listening of course.

17. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the album is quite good as well, and the last U2 album I've really liked was Joshua Tree. I like "Raised By Wolves." Would've been great on War in a rougher form!

18. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I wish Apple had given me 20 bucks instead of giving U2 one hundred million bucks.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

We have a winner!

Smiths22 likes this.
  20. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

It's tough being the biggest band in the world. You can't sell your corporate rock for a profit or give your art away for free without someone bitchin' up a storm.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  21. Smiths22

I definitely don't think they are any longer the biggest band in the world, that place is just empty right now and it has been that way for a couple of years now.

No need to give your new album for free when you are the biggest band in the world.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    e.s. likes this.
  22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Well, they're the Stones for a generation of people who came of age during U2's formative years. I guess that would be generation X.

Grant and Smiths22 like this.
  23. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

Except that I thought I DID have control over what goes on my iPhone -- only the stuff I bought. And I didn't choose to sync my entire collection. Only new purchases. And I didn't buy this.

I say this rhetorically. The only thing I hate worse than iTunes is the iPhone. :angel: My last iPhone was the end of my relationship with Apple, so I reinstalled iTunes for the first time in years, and went to fetch the album myself....and I love it...but I absolutely understand why people resent it just showing up on their phones. It's not spam. It's a breach.

The difference is that you're used to junk mail now -- but it wasn't always ubiquitous. Unsolicited mail used to be illegal, and I can assure you that people howled when it started showing up. You're used to spam in email -- but it took years for spam to first start showing up in any quantity, and people sure howled about that too. Spammers are often, in fact, actual criminals, sending it for criminal purposes. Nothing about it feels benign, because it often isn't.

We're also used to spamware on new phones now. Every vendor does it. It's no big deal.

This is different. Those are open ended at the source. We have no control over senders or vendors. My (rhetorical) iPhone is different. Both sides of the sync are supposed to belong to me, and me alone. In whatever manner I choose to manage sync, it's supposed to be a closed pipe with only my stuff at either end.

It's inconceivable that anybody should have thought to "guard" against something that never existed even conceptually. The iTunes terms of service is famously convoluted. There are whole websites devoted to exposing the crazy stuff buried in it, but I never saw anything about, "Whatever we feel like jamming into your music collection, we will." I'm sure it's in there somewhere, and lord have mercy on anyone who thought that Apple and every government agency doesn't know exactly what's on their cloud at all times -- but APPLE putting stuff there? Never. Never ever. Look through the most paranoid anti-Apple websites, and this has never been mentioned.

That's why it's different than spam. That's why it has nothing to do with U2. Quite the contrary. I think the conversation would be far louder if it had been many other artists. The noise also has nothing to do with how easy it is to delete the album. It has everything to do with a breach in what constitutes syncing MY STUFF to MY STUFF.

Again I say all this rhetorically, because, now that I think about it, the one thing I hate worse than iTunes and iPhones is Apple. :righton:

I do love this album, though. I really do. It's restored my excitement about a band I used to adore, that I feared was gone for good. But the way it was delivered has done nothing to change my low opinion of Apple. If anybody is going to find a new way to violate its customers' trust, it's them. And people should be angry about it.

RBtl, DDTM, botley and 1 other person like this.
  24. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

A whole two years? Sounds like it's time for another stadium tour to set the record straight. :goodie:

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Not sure what the fuss is about. The only problem most people seem to have with the new U2 album is the way their music is force-fed onto consumers. For me, a free album isn't a bad thing. However, Bono's globalist agenda is a different story altogether.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.