Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The Exploding Hearts were great.

proust78 likes this.
  2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Man i love you, you have taken the words out of my mouth. :hugs:

I used to think the same way, U2 fills stadiums all around the world then they must be the biggest and most important band in the world...... i was wrong filling stadiums is NOT the most important thing, i think music is. These guys haven't delivered a GREAT album since 1991. yes they keep touring and filling stadiums they are legend but also The Rolling Stones and other artists. They are pretty much like the Stones regarding albums now sometimes they deliver bad albums other good ones but their golden years belong to the past.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Tim Wilson likes this.
  3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

These days your privacy is invaded every day in so many ways getting a rock album downloaded onto your phone or Ipod is the LEAST of your worries, trust me. :laugh:

4. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Eh. Gotta be careful when stating what you think was their last great album. It's all subjective. Just saying.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Considering how many permissions apps request, how many auto updates happen, etc. Yeah.

6. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Even when Achtung Baby came out, it wasn't greeted with universal praise as some might think. There are old usenet or something to that effect, postings that were logged from when it came out and people were pretty unappreciative of the album.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Paul M.
    Lewis + MAF) says:

>If 'The Fly' is any indication of the rest of 'Achtung, Baby' and
    >U2's musical direction, I think we can fashion 4 caskets, and label
    >them: Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry. U2 is dead. What an unimaginative
    >piece of garbage.

Obviously, you are not a true U2 fan. U2 has been alternative ever since
    their inception (minus R&H). Alternative rock keeps changing, so do they.
    Granted, this album is a departure from even I am used to but I will get
    used to it soon.

'Diamond' David Perrussel Penn State Univ.
    DBP103@PSUVM [email protected]
    "Those who can but do not think for themselves are parasites and burdens
    to society."

mj_patrick likes this.
  7. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Who said anything about importance? I sure didn't. When you fill stadiums on a global level, you're in the conversation for biggest. Importance has nothing to do with it.

Supposedly, No Line On The Horizon sold 5 million copies, but that was considered a "disappointing" sales figure. That's freaking crazy.

JimC likes this.
  8. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

They just assume everybody likes U2. Giving free U2 to the masses (so they think) couldn't be that bad. So, if these people had their way, every citizen of this planet would be drinking Coca-Cola, wearing DKNY jeans, carrying iPads and reading Paulo Coelho. Cultural differences between nations, and uniqueness between individuals, wouldn't exist. Big software and content corporations would dictate what you would wear, listen, watch, buy.. to hell with individual choice.

subtr and DDTM like this.
  9. Smiths22

ok then the word is biggest, the biggest band filling stadiums right? biggest act right? yeah i think i agree, still being the biggest band is not the end of the story..Music is far more important IMO.

10. xTraPlaylists

Music importance is the subjective part ;) (As is the title for "Biggest" although quantifying those tours and album sales does bolster the argument).

Thanks for the article post. I'll give it a read :thumbsup:

11. Smiths22

i don't get you what do you mean?

The article is more about spirituality so i deleted the link but the quote remains.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I think it's the assumption that U2 are important, and when they do something it's gotta be BIG. It's kind of an emperor's new clothes scenario at this point, with Bono not only naked, but also no longer emperor. That, and the fact that they score another huge payday from a corporate giant, is pretension on top of pretense for this band. To top it off, the effect is felt by millions of people who were never asked if they care.
    In addition to all that, one is left wondering if this is the only way they can still claim to reach millions of people with a new album.

cc-- likes this.
  13. xTraPlaylists

You know the age old argument about art, eye of the beholder and all. How important music is is subjective, etc etc.

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

U2 are probably the biggest underdog act currently active.

15. Smiths22

Well, yes, i guess, i mean if one person only likes jazz music why he should give a penny about any U2 record (even the joshua tree). That's subjective i agree.

On the other way i cant deny the importance of Led Zeppelin for example, i may like them or not still they are important regarding rock music history.

Same happens with albums IMO people may like or not Achtung baby for example still it is a classic album and that according to history it is not subjective it is more kind of a fact.

Jack o' the Shadows likes this.
  16. xTraPlaylists

A lot of U2's music has spiritual themes in it. Someone into that might think it's incredibly important music, perhaps the most important simply due to the subject matter. But if you weren't into spirituality, you might find it incredibly unimportant. Subjectivity.

17. xTraPlaylists

However people get worked up over it, it does make for interesting discourse.

Smiths22 likes this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What do I have to do to get this free lossy album that I don't want?
    I don't have it yet and want to make sure I don't end up with it.
    I do have an iTunes account. I've never used it. I've never used iTunes to sync my iPod. Never bought anything from the iTunes store. Am I safe? Could Apple have secretly made an iCloud for me like Amazon did for me with their AutoRip?

19. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

My take is that people are complaining because U2 jumped the shark ages ago. They've put out a string of thoroughly ordinary albums that surpasses even that of Elton John's or Eric Clapton's run of "meh" releases. U2 is on the verge of being as relevant as Lenny Kravitz (who in my estimation is as stale as last month's bread).

20. xTraPlaylists

Hey! You should be coming up with cat-based phrases (preferably with lasers in their eyes), let me take care of the dog-based ones.

Smiths22 likes this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Tim,

Yes I think we can agree.

Another aspect of the phone today is that "we" are all connected by the second to life through our phones or (in sync!) and our "choices" should be respected. I can see the otherside being unhappy.

Ten years ago many of us didn't expect a use of product for "Everything" to come true and to be "In Sync" is the key for Apple.

Years ago Microsoft was "The" operating system.

proust78 likes this.
  22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I really do want the vinyl edition of this album. If anything we learned about U2 in the '00's and beyond is that the vinyl copies of their albums are really good and less taxing on the ears than the cd counterparts.

bferr1 likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Really? The ultimate one?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Because it is U2. Plain and simple.

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

For everyone who thinks this was a good idea: i pray apple "pushes" vanilla ice to your devices & you cannot delete it. Oh wait, you'll probably like it 'cause it's based on queen...

DDTM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.