Deezer's Audiophile Streaming Service (via Sonos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

The Paris-based company will offer subscriptions to Deezer Elite starting Sept. 15 that cost $19.99 a month... Sonos customers who sign up for a year of service will receive a promotional rate of $9.99 a month, while those who choose monthly billing will pay $14.99.

The higher-quality tracks will stream to customers' Sonos systems over in-home wi-fi, Goldman said. Sonos makes music equipment that allows owners to play music to wireless speakers. Sonos customers who subscribe to Deezer Elite would also be able to listen to standard definition tracks on their mobile phones and computers. As with Spotify or Beats, Deezer Elite subscribers could save tracks to their mobile devices for listening when an Internet connection isn't available.

Deezer Elite subscribers will be able to talk with a "concierge" to help with music selections and even be able to chat with Deezer music editors, he said.

Goldman said Deezer Elite will be able to stream about 90% of the most-listened-to tracks in high-definition. Deezer has rights to about 35 million tracks worldwide, he said.[/QUOTE]

Confused on the red part as it's awkwardly worded.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/10/deezer-spotify-beats-google-play/

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I think I read in another article that the files will be 16/44.1 FLAC.

3. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Came to my trusty SH forum expecting to see a 14 page thread, but alas not much as of yet.

This is very interesting to say the least. I don't own SONOS, but would consider purchasing a CONNECT just to have this service.

4. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Anyone?

5. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Me too. Especially after Lefsetz raved about it.

+1

I'm hoping it means they are missing the same key tracks (Beatles, etc.) as most other streaming services and not "10% of our catalog was lossy sourced, but we won't say which specific tracks they are".

I'm intrigued and I have a Sonos system, so I may sign up for a trial if I have time in the next two weeks. (Odds are probably 50/50.) I think a problem here is that 98+% of those who stream music are not interested in higher quality than 256kbps MP3's. If they were MOG would've dominated the industry when its quality was superior to Spotify, Rhapsody, etc. Most are not listing through equipment that will reveal the higher quality of lossless over high bit rate lossy.

As for the small percentage who will pay extra for lossless:
    1. Many want to own a disc they can hold.
    2. Many do not believe 16/44.1 is high definition. They will wait for 24/96.
    2a. Sonos hardware is limited to 16/48.
    2b. How many catalog titles in streaming libraries are even available in 24/96 to be licensed?
    3. Are enough people left after the #1 and #2 exclusions above to make Deezer successful?

I think the best hope for higher quality streaming is for a legitimate competitor to seriously challenge Spotify. Apple/Beats has the strongest potential, but so far they haven't. (Spotify has 10 million paying subscribers plus 30+ million non-paying. Beats is said to have just 110,000-250,000.) If Spotify goes unchallenged then I see little incentive to offer anything beyond 16/44.1 before 2020.

6. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

I can't say anything about the U.S. launch, but I've been a Deezer subscriber in the UK for a few months, and it's an excellent service. For us, the music is encoded to 320kpbs MP3 (there's also a lower bitrate if you prefer), which is certainly all I need for my listening. I've been able to check out dozens, if not hundreds, of albums I've read about or stumbled upon by accident.

From a business perspective, the problem is that I've now stopped buying CDs unless they're an absolute necessity. I used to buy quite a lot.

7. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

8. Stereosound

9. Stereosound

10. Stereosound

11. Stereosound

12. Stereosound