Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair-Nov.4 Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident Thread Starter

As posted at musictap:

http://www.musictap.net/2014/09/15/songs-from-the-big-chair-gets-massive-reissue-for-november/

"When Tears For Fears released Songs From the Big Chair, the two main components of the band, Roland Orzabal, and Curt Smith, had no idea that this album would be the hit it was. They followed their debut album, The Hurting, released in 1983, with Songs From the Big Chair (1985), hitting the charts with the immensity of a meteor striking the earth, as it gave fans four massively charting singles with “Shout”, “Mother’s Talk”, “Everybody Wants to Rule The World”, and “Head Over Heels”. The band was able to follow up that album with the 1989 issue of The Seeds Of Love, although not with the same fever.

If you think Tears For Fears, most fans will immediately think of “Shout”, or any of the other songs from the albums, especially the singles. In 2006, Songs From the Big Chair was reissued as a Deluxe Edition with an extra CD of remixes and edits.

On November 4, Songs From The Big Chair will be revisited in a BIG way. The set will be reissued in a variety of forms that will include vinyl LP, Blu-ray Audio (stand-alone), a single CD, a 2CD Deluxe Edition, and a MASSIVE 4CD/2DVD Super Deluxe Edition. What several of these packages will contain is not yet ascertained. But, as soon as I get details, I’ll post them in an update.

I will hazard a guess that the sets will feature new remastering considering that there will also be a BD-Audio package!

Be prepared, especially if you’re an avid fan going for the BIG one."

No other details yet unless someone else has more information.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Oh wow, the Super Deluxe edition possibly goes to the very top of my Christmas list. Love this album! I suppose the "Scenes from the Big Chair" video will be one of the DVDs (even though it's already been released elsewhere...)

JeffMo likes this.
  3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Glad I did not pull the trigger on recent shm sacd.

4. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'm very interested to see what is included in this. I'm hoping for the full Massey Hall concert on Blu-ray. Clips from this show were included in the Scenes From The Big Chair documentary and should look great in hi-res.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

If Blu-ray or DVD means a surround mix, they have my interest.

dobyblue likes this.
  6. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Geez, this is one of my favorite albums, but come on already....

7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Correct me if I am wrong, but this was an early digital recording...correct? In which case I assume a classic 16 bit master?

8. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I recently paid through the nose for the mofi gold CD. For those who can't find it or don't want to pay its going price, I hope this new release has good mastering and extras. That said though, I always thought the old atomic CDs (US or German) were pretty good too..

tmtomh likes this.
  9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My first thought is will they have the stereo channels reversed again? I look forward to the set, but which version I get will depend on contents. If nothing else, the blu-ray will be welcomed.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great album, great news!

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Don't think there will be a lot of new material that has not already been released on the numerous other SFTBC deluxe editions, maybe some radio sessions.
    I already have the Original W-Germany Version, MFSL, Single disc Remaster and the 2 Disc Deluxe edition.
    I will probably get it anyway, and I will definitely pick up the Blu-Ray

12. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

When I asked MOFI what the source material was for their Silver Series they said a tape copy of the original master UK tape.

jfeldt likes this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Please, please, please give us a surround mix on the Blu-ray.

fredblue likes this.
  14. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Ditto. Fingers crossed for a 5.1 on the blu-ray.

elee532, fredblue and Ed Hughes like this.
  15. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

Good news - thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to this. Originally released when I was in college and was listening to a lot of similar stuff, for some reason this album didn't grab me initially. I liked The Hurting, so it's not that I was anti-TFF. Maybe it was how much the singles were played on radio and in the dorms at that time that made me want to not like this album. Anyway, after STSOL was released I picked SFTBC up for the first time and enjoyed it. I still rate it below STSOL and The Hurting but it has a certain charm for me due to the memories it invokes.

Looking forward to one of the deluxe packages, not sure which one yet. I'm not familiar with the b-sides and alternative stuff released in conjunction with these singles back then and over the years, so it will be new to me.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The concert versions from "Scene" video were great and I'd welcome a complete uneditied audio version of the Massey Hall show. That live take of "The Working Hour" sends shivers down my spine.

17. The Working Hour and Listen are that albums 2 best cuts!

18. And I'll add Broken as my third.

bru87tr and fortherecord like this.
  19. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is a great album from the 80's,can't wait to see when there are more details about what's all on the boxset.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I wonder what the content is on 4CDs? Perhaps live material? I passed on The Hurting box set, but later realized the BBC recordings were pretty awesome. Need to see the content for this upcoming set before making any decisions.

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I'm sorry I did. It's mediocre at best.

22. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Really? that's the reason why it sounds so good...

23. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Great news. By the way, Roland is back in the States, and they are back in the studio working on the album. They have a few dates coming up on the west coast I think starting this week.

Listen is just otherworldly in its beauty and so TFF in signature sound. The Working Hour is stunning. I love the club beat to Mother's Talk. Everybody Wants to Rule the World, just perfect. Head Over Heals/Broken is really amazing together.

But Shout is such a perfect pop song that has you all the way to the end, the way it builds and weaves in and out melodically and then the "I'd really love to break your heart" coming in later in the song and then that guitar solo.

I love this version and every version of it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  24. The detail is amazing. And that languid guitar.........damn!

tmtomh and Jerry James like this.
  25. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Great news. The remixes/b-sides associated with the album would about fill 2 CDs, I think. There are maybe 3 0r 4 remixes that have yet to be released on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.