The Beatles 2014 Vinyl Japanese Mono Box Re-master

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fmuakkassa, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I finally got my copy of the Japanese Mono set of the 2014 re-masters which I received from cdjapan via FedEx.
    The box arrived in perfect condition, wrapped in bubble wrap, then surrounded by air-filled packaging then placed inside a bigger box.

I thought I would share some pictures here and answer some questions. Basically you are paying extra money for the OBIs, the extra Japanese booklet with all the lyrics and for a chance to own what will become a collectible item before it's price skyrockets on e-bay!
    What is on the outer box
    [​IMG]

Front of the mono box wrapped with plastics bag
    [​IMG]

Back of the mono box with the Japanese booklet
    [​IMG]

The OBIs come in a plastic wrap
    [​IMG]

The OBIs front
    [​IMG]

OBIs back (next)
    White Album number (next)
    The Japanese additional booklet (next)

The LPs were all pressed in Germany so they are not different than the rest of the world.
    The OBIs come with a small tapes that you can apply to secure them after you wrap them around the LP (have not done so).
    Other than the lyrics in English and Japanese for each album, I can't tell you what is also included as it is all in Japanese. Most likely some descriptions of each LP. Maybe our Japanese forum members can chime in and fill this gap.
    I have not had the chance to inspect each LP yet.

TLMusic and MisterBritt like this.
  2. fmuakkassa

Continued
    OBIs Back
    [​IMG]

White Album number[​IMG]

Japanese Booklet

[​IMG]

Alex Zabotkin, Bryce and Ben Sinise like this.
  3. We need a separate thread for the same box of records with county fair ribbons included ?

alanb, zen, Parkertown and 5 others like this.
  4. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

How much more?

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I saw one in a store yesterday. Think it was like 57,000 JPY or something, so whatever that is in US$ (plus shipping). Roughly 10,000 JPY more than the basic box without the Japanese language materials.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

About $525

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If I could be sure that the lps were in near perfect condition, Id probably buy one. Be worth the extra cash just to have the peace of mind.

I say that because *usually* the japanese press some stellar vinyl. But wait, these are pressed at Optimal also so nvm I guess.

8. EdogawaRampo

Interestingly, this store in downtown Tokyo (one of the several DiskUnion stores in Shinjuku) had both boxes -- with and without the Japanese language stuff -- available, along with the single, individual LPs, which were without the obis and stuff.

9. EdogawaRampo

Yeah, these are exactly the same sourced LPs as everyone is getting.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Prices the same?

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Boy I sure like to have these remasteres pressed like some ofthe jpn lps I have. They did it better than anyone back in the day.

12. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Did you successfully remove that outer sticker [1st pic] undamaged or just cut through it with a razor?

14. fmuakkassa

God forbid. I won't cut through that! Its a crime punishable by law on this forum. It is on the side of the box. I opened the box from the top where there is tape only.

Wally Swift likes this.
  15. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Oh. I guess the disregard for the foam insert got me confused. I'm obsessive about all aspects of factory supplied inserts, etc.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Um, these are really well pressed, about as good as it gets. I did get a copy of Sgt. Pepper that clearly hadn't been treated well by the person who put it into the sleeve. It was like they had gotten grit on their fingertips or gloves and grabbed the record. There are fingerprint sized abrasions on one side. I was able to exchange it with another at a retailer.

17. multichamp201

multichamp201 Forum Resident

Looks great! Wish Amazon Japan actually followed through with my order.

The funny thing is the OBI for the white album, how are you suppose to get the LPs out with it being a top loader :p

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Are they? For those who received pressings with no flaws, Im sure the feeling is that these are the best ever pressed lps. The demographic on the big thread would suggest otherwise. But, Im not sure if that reflects the total population that bought these. The complaints about the warpage, nicks in the vinyl etc etc makes me very hesitant to buy the boxset.

After having bought 100s of japanese pressings from the 70-90s era, I cant recall having an issue with any of them. While these optimal may indeed avg out to be very good pressings. The comments suggest that there are issues.

Anyone who has ever bought japanese pressings cant attest to their high quality in pressings and packaging. They set the mark in quality pressings. Mastering?..well thats another topic.

I have been lucky in purchasing the Beatles mono reissues. Ive only had to return 2 of them. Both had pretty bad warping. One had some sort of vinyl bump that boomed when the needle hit that area.

But Im not one who agrees with the idea of "well, mine has a warp that looks like a rollercoaster but I will deal with it with my clamp because I might get one thats worse." Or "well I have four loud pops on MMT but oh well, its vinyl" I pay for a product Im not one to compromise. Maybe thats just me.

And I do realize that vinyl pressings arent always going to be perfect. But Im not going to just accept it if I can return it.

If I do buy a boxset Ill probably have the place of business open it and make sure the pressings are at least visually flat and no white patches, gouges or scratches.

19. multichamp201

Yea thats the best thing to do. I bought the box locally and luckily had no problems, but I inspected it before I purchased, and if there was a problem playing them I could return for a new single lp.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's good to have the option of replacement in the case of defective vinyl, but I have not heard much in the way, if any complaints, about off-center pressings. The vinyl itself seems to be stunningly quiet, with few exceptions. I did have very minor problems with a few LPs in the box (a random tick or two), but the only one I had a problem with was the Sgt. Pepper, which had a problem clearly due to handling and not the pressing itself. That's the only record I felt that would have demanded a return thus far. I still have the WA and Mono Masters to clean and play.

21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

To date, I've purchased a box and a complete set of individual LPs, and none of them are warped or have nicks in the vinyl. I would guess the majority of these records are flat, clean, and quiet, but as numerous other posters have commented, there will always be a certain percentage of defects when this many records are being pressed. Your hesitation seems to be based on what are actually very few actual complaints, when there are many, many others stating they received fantastic copies of these records.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dude, call me obsessive but nearly every other post in the big thread has been about defects of some sort. Now whether that is reflective of the total of lps pressed I have no idea. I *guess* it might be. Which is just as valid as your guess. Either way, Im not making things up. Lots of defects mentioned.

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I've read the threads, and I suppose I see things differently. Bottom line: I think fearing the worst regarding defective records isn't a good reason not to purchase what is a pretty amazing box set.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The count is 59 defect complaints to 44 praises.

Ok, Im just messing with you, even im not that ocd to count. But if I had bought the boxset and had the two defects Id have sent the box back. Instead I simply returned the two lps for returns. Easy peasy. I feel for those who had defects from the box.

Look, Im not dissing this boxset. Im jealous of those who have no defects. So that shows how much I do like these. But this idea that Optimal somehow pressed the bestest ever pressings is a bit overboard. When they are defect free sure. But they havent been.

25. multichamp201

My box was perfect, but yes ive heard of defects on here obviously.

Like another poster said all of my Japanese pressings ive bought have been perfect.

Has quality control gone downhill since the 60s 70s? If so why?

I would have thought improvements would have been made over the last few decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.