Audio Note UK Oto Line SE arrives ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, after almost four months of waiting for the good people in Hove, East Sussex to build me my beautiful amplifier, Don at Soundhounds informed me today that my Audio Note UK Oto Line SE had arrived, along with my 1m Audio Note UK Lexus interconnects. I'm hoping to have them in my home by Friday and will post pictures and 1st listening impressions shortly after I have it set up in my system. Needless to say, I'm stoked.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get ready to roll tubes and improve the sound but get a handle on what it sounds like stock first..

raferx likes this.
  3. raferx

Yup. I'm going to let the Oto break-in for at least a month before I start 'rolling. Likely go for the Amperex Peter recommended to you.

4. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

This is great news.

Congratulations!

raferx likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

I can't remember what I rolled in there for the input tubes. Teles?

6. raferx

Thanks Whaley! I'll let you know how the M30.1s get on with it.

7. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

Hi Raferx. Gongrats. Nice machine. Did you consider the Almarro (also EL84 SE and just one ecc83 driver tube) on your shortlist? In case you don't need the extra power.

raferx likes this.
  8. raferx

Thanks!!

No, I did not consider Almarro, but I did consider Shindo and Leben.

9. Tesbert

Tesbert Forum Resident

Actually I have the Almarro 205 MKii and it's a real gem. But only in case you have speakers with a 96 dB efficiency like me. Anyway enjoy your AN!

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Glad you will get to live with a tube amp. I think you will find that different tubes will change the character of the presentation more than changing between different solid state amps. I've enjoyed reading about the AN transformers and design ideas. Do consider sampling some different speaker cables as you work it all out.

raferx likes this.
  11. raferx

Thanks man, I think this amp will be a long-term stop for me, and the ability to 'roll it to taste is a huge plus.
    I just got new speaker cables (shotgunned runs of Aralex 12 gauge with Audio Note silver banana termination), which was specifically recommended by, and made by my Audio Note dealer for this amp to sound best with my Harbeth M30.1s, as Soundhounds is also a Harbeth dealer and they have done an exhaustive amount of cable experimentation with AN amps and Harbeth speakers before settling on these double runs as providing the best synergy possible between the two.

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. heimska

heimska Forum Resident

A bit off-topic, but what is the difference between Audio Note UK and Audio Note Japan?

13. Steve Hoffman

Neat. Let us know what EL-84's you settle on. My knowledge of that tube is quite limited. You'll know more about it than I will eventually! I liked the four Mullards in the OTO I had but I didn't have anything else NOS to compare to except GE. Not a big enough sample to make any decision..

raferx likes this.
  14. raferx

I certainly will. Just so happy to be getting it into my system at last. Soundhounds double-boxed and corner-braced the stock Audio Note shipping box before handing it off to a courier this afternoon... should have it at my office tomorrow afternoon.

15. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

They were once the same company but the partnership split .

heimska likes this.
  16. raferx

The Oto was just delivered to my desk at work. The outer box looks perfect, so I'm hopeful the amp is no worse for wear after its trip from the UK.
    I'll post some un-boxing pix when I get home this afternoon.

17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Tell us you are happy with the sound and that it is driving you speaks with love and authority.

18. raferx

[​IMG]

Right out of the box this amplifier has absolutely incredible impact. I also received my Audio Note Lexus ICs today. I'll write more tomorrow or Saturday, but I have to say that the last few hours with this amp in my system ā€“ with no break-in other what I put on it today ā€“ was the most intensely musical listening experience with hi fi I've ever had. No words really at this point.

19. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Nice looking amp!

How are those 10 watts working with the 30.1s?

raferx likes this.
  20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

(Iā€™m kinda glad you now have a component with some funky hi-fi typography on it.)

raferx likes this.
  21. raferx

the Oto owns them.
    Never heard such powerful, controlled bass from the M30.1s.
    Even when I demoed the Oto (an older version) with the Harbeth's at the dealer in late May, I was impressed with the bass output, but not to this degree.
    I'm attributing it the fact that this is the latest version of the Oto with improvements over previous iterations, and room acoustics, source components, etc.

octaneTom likes this.
  22. raferx

A few more pix of un-boxing the Oto, then back to work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VinylRob and norman_frappe like this.
  23. raferx

The Oto is so deep that it doesn't fit at all on my mid-century stereo stand that I use as a component shelf... I had to stuff the butcher block from the kitchen under it just keep it off the floor. Not sure what the solution will be, may have to look at changing-up the whole unit.

24. Steve Hoffman

Now that's a First World Problem of the highest order. Imagine my figuring out what to do with the Jinro? It's 12 inches wide and 26 long!

What tap are you using, 8 or 4?

Get to know the great sound really well and then be prepared to spend just a bit more to radically improve it via NOS tubes.

raferx likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

You know, thinking about it, I don't want to send you down the wrong path. Harbeth speakers are on the tame side. It's possible that they need the extra "grain" of modern input and output tubes. I suggest borrowing a pair of NOS input tubes from a kind Forum member FIRST and see if you like the sound change. Might not be to your liking...

art and raferx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.