Best Tube Phono Pre-amp under $400.00?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Massproductions, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have a pro-ject 1.3 turntable on the way, and trying to decide what pre-amp to get.

There's Pro-Ject Tube S, which is nearly as much as my turntable. Might find a used one out there..

Then there is the Belari, which is more reasonable priced. I've seen it used at a high fi store, but only one little tube stuck into the box that otherwise looks pretty much like every other Solid State Pre-amp.

And I have the Art DJ Pre II, which is solid state kicking around my studio. I've read comments from a few people on here they like the ART DJ Pre II.

Since I'll be using the Pro-Ject turntable for digitizing vinyl, and going through my Mackie 1402 sound board to adjust gain, would a tube pre-amp really make that much of a difference?

My technician pointed out that a lot of today's Tube Pre-amp boxes are nothing more than a solid state pre-amp with a Tube grafted into the chain, and does not really do much at all but look cool.

I would hate to waste a couple hundred bucks on only a minimal improvement.

Suggestions? I'm open to whatever Pre-amp has a nice solid warm sound. I don't want harsh, tinny, squeezed sound.

2. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

Perhaps the Budgie phono stage can be something to consider. I use it currently with my dual turntable, and it sounds lovely with a good pair of Nos tubes if you want to take it up a notch. The price is 400$ with stock EH 6922's.

PBo, jupiterboy and jlc76 like this.
  3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Used Jolida JD9.

4. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Slightly over your budget, but worth your consideration.
    Hagerman Cornet 3. $379 kit. $479 Assembled.

hi_watt, Dentdog and G E like this.
  5. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Why tube?FET based phono stages are excellent.
    I keep saying this but probably nobody believes me but I will say it again.-A second hand Realistic 42-2101A which you can buy for around $30 is a giant killer and will compete with MM phono stages in the $1000 plus range.A classic FET based design.It sounds very open and natural.It is right up to my EAR 834P standard [which is tube]and I prefer it to a Graham Slee Reflex which is an excellent phono stage for around the $1200 price point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why would you go through the extra stages of a Mackie mixer? Can't you control gain in the box?

Sean Sandoval likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Or at the Digital in? The Mackie will degrade/alter whatever phono feed you give it. Adjusting gain for recording should be happening with the recorder.

8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Interesting comment. I have the Realistic 42-2109, which looks pretty much exactly like the Realistic 42-2101A. The 42-2101A was made in Japan and the 42-2109 was made in Korea, so it's entirely possible that they are otherwise identical. It has a pretty heavy-duty steel case, so it is at least well-constructed.

I can't say that I've yet used it in a critical listening environment, but it certainly is a decent preamp. Well worth the $20 I paid for it on Craig's List!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  9. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

10. G E

G E Senior Member

I have the Cornet 2 and it is a fine unit. Responds well to tube rolling

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Keep in mind that the Bellari is not intended for MC cartridges. I tried using one with a Dynavector 10x5 and it simply wasn't enough gain.

12. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I'm very happy with my Yaqin MS22B. I also have a Cambridge audio 640p and a Creek. I much prefer the Yaqin. This is a true tube unit where the tubes are used in the amplification and RIIA equalization, not as a buffer stage in many other "tube" units in this general price range. My unit is completely stock and I have no issues with hum or noise.

Robert C and kman like this.
  13. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I doubt you will find much in new factory made units at that price range that will beat any old vanilla solid state receiver's phono stage.

14. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

I own a Yaqin MS22B and it is OK but the Realistic I have mentioned is vastly better.The Yaqin is just an op amp with a tube buffer.It has a nice rich sound but lacks clarity and has a plodding sort of bass.Excellent value for money but you can do a lot better.I agree it is better than the Creek and the Cambridge.

15. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm, well If I get the belari, at least that has an output gain and I can bypass the mackie mixer for those records with low level that need some gain. I don't think the project tube S has output gain. Anybody have issues with the Balari?

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would not look at tube preamps in this price range. Too many good SS units of different designs to be considered.

17. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

I don't really think it's fair to call the Belari a tube preamp. The tuba is only used to buffer the input. The gain stages are all opamps.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  18. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I own a Budgie and it sounds really nice. Lots of cart. loading options too.

PBo and jupiterboy like this.
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

The tube does make a difference in the sound of the Bellari. I had one for 2 months as a loaner while my main stage was being repaired. I also have a 10x5 and agree it does not have enough gain for that cart.

But, you can turn it into a really nice mm stage by putting a $12-$20 tube in it and getting an upgraded wall wart from the shack. I did both and it made a huge difference. In fact, if I could have found a used Bellari step up at a good price, I would have kept the stage.

That unit should not be judged without those mods.

500Homeruns likes this.
  20. cmarti

cmarti Forum Resident

Hi, I know this is an old thread but wanted to tell you that I read your post and went ahead and ordered a Realistic 42-2101A to use it with my Realistic LAB-500 turntable all stock but upgraded with hyper-elliptical stylus and OMG! The sounds is so good, everything sounds so clear and balanced. My setup sounds better now than when I was using the ART USB Phono Plus preamp.

Thanks for sharing this gem with us!

BuddhaBob and Robin L like this.
  21. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

I used the bellari for several years and liked it.
    The gain adjustment was nice. Be careful not to overdrive the output. It will sound fine while recording but it will clip the peaks off your files. A little trial and error and you will be fine.
    I also read that the tube is not fully utilized how a true tube preamp should be used.
    I recently switched to a PS audio phono preamp and an outboard HRT A/D converter so I can record at 24/96.
    I'm very happy with the results.

22. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I ordered one from eBay this morning as well. Seems like I could spend $40 on worst things.

23. John

John Senior Member

I'm with you on liking tubes and vinyl. But in this price range you may want to consider solid state. I heard this at a friends house with his Music Hall MMF 5.1 and a Shure 97 and was shocked how good it was. He has since upgraded to a used Quicksilver Phono which is a bit outside of your price range.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Vincent-Audio-PHO-8-Phono-Preamp

Best of Luck In Your Search!

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I too have the Yaqin MS22B & have had it for about 2 years now , a really nice sounding unit ,mine too is stock , only thing i did was swap out the tubes just over a year ago ........ got mine for about $175 including shipping ....

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I've asked somewhere before but can't remember the answer. What are the gain options on the Yaqin? I have a homc and need a little more gain than most mm stages have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.