Modern Family season 5 not coming out on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hud, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

I am very annoyed about this since I have the 1st four seasons on Blu.

The latest season of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" is also not coming out on Blu-Ray.

What gives?

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

In a word? Streaming.

Dan C likes this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yup. I would imagine that physical copies of TV shows aren't selling enough to justify production costs. Also figure that BD sales are way below already-shrinking DVD sales and take up shrinking rack space in stores and you have yourself a problem.

dan c

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, the last season of 'Louie' only came out on burn-on-request DVD-Rs (with no bonus features whatsoever) after the first two came out on Blu-Ray. It's discouraging.

The most annoying for me is 'How I Met Your Mother' - the only season to come out on BD was 4, 1-3 and 5-9 are DVD only. And season one was even reframed to 4:3 from a widescreen broadcast!

Current TV shows just don't seem to have any respect in the move video market any more. Meanwhile, 'Twin Peaks' and 'The Sopranos' are gonna be raking in cash with winter with complete series BD boxes.

5. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Ironically, for a time when tv shows on DVD took off, they became quite a cash cow. It was new territory... a new cash stream for studios. For me, there are shows I want to own and others where streaming is fine. I have seasons 1 and 2 of Modern Family (dvd). Not sure if I'll get any others since it's on tv so much and DVDs look fine enough on my tvs, so even if I did buy more seasons, I don't know if I would care to pay for Blu...

6. Aw crap. I didn't watch it because I was going to pick up the Blu-Ray.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild Thread Starter

It was a nice surprise that Best Buy had season 2 of Hannibal on sale the same price on Blu and DVD--$22.99.

I hate streaming!

heatherly likes this.
  8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Perfect. Some seasons on blu-ray, some not.

9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Is oversaturation as a syndicated series the problem? Modern Family, Two And A Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Mike and Molly, Hot in Cleveland etc. may be wearing out their welcome - back-to-back reruns might be weakening the franchise. Sometimes less is more.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

No 30 Rock on Blu, That 70's Show stopped the blu-rays at Season 2 and 2 Broke Girls only did the first season on blu.

11. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Seems strange. Archive complete season sets should be profitable. Just work on the stuff throughout the season as a side project. It's built into the cost of the show. Maybe Blu Ray decreases the value of streaming somehow?

12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I got all of the Charlie Sheen Men seasons at Big Lots for 7-8 bucks each. I hate streaming and burn on demand.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Digitalbits just announced the complete series is coming on Blu from Mill Creek.

"That ’70s Show: The Complete Series on Blu-ray on 11/3 (SRP $149.98)".

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm not a fan of Mill Creek, but I''m glad to see the releasing an entire series at once instead of parceling it out a season at a time. We're never going to see the complete I Love Lucy on Blu-ray thanks to Paramount's high prices and season at a time schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.