Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone! Does everyone still buys and collects DVDs? Or did everyone go digital for all their DVDs?

bhazen and apesfan like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stopped collecting them for blu rays a couple of years ago, but started to collect them again recently.

melstapler, scobb and SteveM like this.
  3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

It's funny how many DVD's we have, and how many of those we 'had to have', only to have watched them maybe 5 times.

As a side note, I once bought the collectors VHS version of 'The Phantom Menace'. Think about how incredible that is for a minute! :eek:

Sean, Mesozoic Mike, Kristofa and 2 others like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

When that came out, I remember thinking "Why is there no companion DVD release?". I think it took another two years or so for the DVD version to finally come out.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Yep! And the thing is, I think it sold like 5 millions copies in the first couple of days, which is unbelievable.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I still buy certain music and concert related DVDs and I would spring for a few more films if say there was another one of those Big Lots blowout sales with good stuff. But for movies I am right now strictly a rental person. Hell I still have some laser disc titles I have not gotten around to. I would feel guilty buying movies when I have some titles on hand which have never been viewed by me.

But for music buffs or rock fans, the Led Zeppelin 2dvd set is essential, a must own, Stones L&G '72 and Texas '78 as well IMO. Any decent rock music collection must have at least 15 to 20 rock films in it right?

7. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I also have thousands of DVD movies and watch only a few of them. For some reason I decided to collect them. But then I really do not watch many of them.. Only a few dozen favorites over and over.
    I would get rid of them if it would be worth any money. But the value has dropped like a stone.
    I have hundreds of anime sets too. LOL
    Plus lot of foreign films
    I have no interest in BluRay. The upscaled DVD look fine to me.
    Plus I already have all of the movies on DVD.
    New movies? Pffft. I don't need them. The last movie I can remember I bought was Avatar.

I watch some TV over the air broadcast movies.. But I do not have Netflix or any other borrowing type thing to rent movies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    bhazen likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Since I got my plasma 55st50 last year and bdt500 this year the humble DVD upscaling is incredible. If it's something special I'll get the equivalent BD ( preferably steelbook).

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I still buy DVDs. As with music, I don't download or stream videos.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I stopped buying DVDs ages ago. I buy the occasional Blu-Ray now but that's getting rare as well. It's either streaming or Netflix disc rentals lately for me. I rarely want to watch anything more than once.

GMfan87' and bhazen like this.
  11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Still buy tons of them.

Sean, SteveM, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

My DVD "collection" makes me feel like a steakhead.

I do still occasionally buy Blu-rays, which probably shows I haven't learned from the experience.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I still buy DVD season sets, and anything I need if I find a clean used or sealed copy for a few bucks. I have upgraded nothing as of yet. Perhaps if the film were only released in pan and scan full screen and reissued wide screen on BR(i.e Annie), then I would upgrade. If I buy a new release its usually on Blue Ray.

14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Back in the hay day of DVDs (c.2005), there was an excellent store around here named "DVD Wave". As soon as the format wars were over (blu-ray vs. HD-DVD) , their customers stopped coming.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

There's a cabinet full of DVDs as well as VCR tapes here. A few months ago I removed the DVD player from it's perch because it wasn't going to get used. Of all the DVDs we have, the only one I can remember watching over and over is That Thing You Do. One of these days they are all going to Goodwill.

Tjazz likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have thousands of DVDs that I am cataloging as I type. Many I am going to sell, but many are also rare.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The obvious solution would be to change their name to The Big Blu(-Ray) Wave. :)

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've been buying a lot of $2-3 dollar dvd's used lately.

Can't go wrong... Buyers market now...

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I still remember paying real money for VHS tapes. I also remember buying them for next to nothing when DVD took over. I remember getting the Masada miniseries on VHS for something like $4.99 at Borders, that was a good day. Of course now it's gone and I have the DVD version which is short 10 minutes but I didn't realize that when I got it.

Surprisingly, there's still some titles that I buy on DVD because there isn't a Blu-ray version, like the Hollow Crown series. The DVD's for that set actually look pretty good though.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Almost every movie purchase I've made was a waste of money. However, I still buy boxed sets of cartoons. One of the few things the kid and I can watch together. I've also bought some Dr. Who DVDs, but that's more for her and the wife. I like Dr. Who, but don't have the patience for repeat viewings.

rnranimal likes this.
  21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yup, I still buy DVD's. Streams and downloads still aren't interlaced! So videotaped material is missing it's character "look" which is a big blow for me. I want all the information intact.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Interlaced is a good thing?

The Revealer and Pinknik like this.
  23. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I still do. I don't "stream".

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Streams and downloads always seem to be de-interlaced, which means videotaped material loses it's characteristic "look". There are ways to de-interlace so this doesn't happen (the BOB or Yadif method) but this never seems to happen.

And yes, I personally think Interlaced is a good thing. Of couse I wouldn't watch it interlaced, PowerDVD and VLC de-interlace it, but they do it properly so the picture is correct and the material maintains it's original frame-rate and look.

The Revealer likes this.
  25. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Yes, a bargain

Grand_Ennui and Dudley Morris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.