Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They're all tremendous, really. If I recall correctly, Argentinian guitarist Pablo Marquez played the piece when I heard it performed (handîcked by Pierre Boulez himself, it seems). As I was utterly unfamiliar with the Sequenzas at the time, my amazement was neither heightened nor tarnished by comparison. It is, however, Eliot Fisk that was recorded on the DG set.

Another wonderful surprise is Sequenza XIII, for accordeon (written for Teodoro Anzellotti)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Marquez is a fantastic player, too. I saw him in concert a few years ago--played the best Alberto Ginastera Sonata that I have ever heard. On the other end of the spectrum, one of my favorite recordings by him is a disc of Luys de Narvaez renaissance works--just stunning.

[​IMG]

BlueTrane and bluemooze like this.
  3. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I'll try checking out the Narvaez record, thanks for pointing it out. I'm very fond of Hopkinson Smith's work on that repertoire, but it'll certainly be interesting to hear the take of someone infused with contemporary practices.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

And played on a modern instrument, a wonderful sounding Daniel Friederich guitar, a French luthier. ;)

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

HvK and the BPO playing Sibelius' 4th. As ARG says, "Karajan owns that music."

J.A.W. and Robin L like this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

IIRC, I believe I read somewhere that Jean Sibelius thought he could not find a better interpreter of his music than HvK ...

7. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Giving the Leon Fleisher box set a run today. Starting with the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2, in anticipation of seeing Yehim Bronfman perform it with the Melbourne Symphony next month.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 10/7/62 & issued 1963. Producer: John McClure. Sounds good with my new stylus.

9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Only record I have autographed by a conductor is the 1971 Zubin Mehta Los Angeles Philharmonic Saint-Saens Organ Symphony on London signed by Zubin Mehta.

10. EasterEverywhere

One of my Beethoven Society sets has a Victor publicity photo with a somewhat faded signature glued to the inside front cover.Did they all come with the photos?What were the subscription only issues?Most of the concerti with Sargent I have as HMV.

Mine all came from thrift stores in the 90s and early 2000s.

11. EasterEverywhere

Don't recognize that Korngold/Schmidt,or whatever is below it.I have all the rest on the original vinyls.:D

heman__ likes this.
  12. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

How do they sound? The sound on this reissue box is good, but not as good as others.

I'm currently listening to this disc, and I'm quite surprised with it, though I feel the playing is a little too tight and could do with just an inkling more rubato because he has a lovely touch on the keys.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Must be brief, but: I've never seen a photo in one of the society sets, although I do have a Columbia set of Claudia Muzio (the opera arias set) that includes one. The first two volumes were supposedly for subscribers only, although I've seen evidence in contemporary review volumes that they may have been available briefly at some point to nonsubscribers for a stiff premium.

Now, must get kid ready for school and self ready for work. :sigh:

14. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Always been intrigued by Tacet all tube recordings and picked this up for a tenner. Even on my non-tube system it sounds exceptionally good. Like the fact that serial number is 1 of 347. Though looking around the web Tacet serial numbering looks a bit weird.

[​IMG]

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Very good Verdi and Strauss, and a premier of a clarinet concerto.
    Manfred Honeck
    Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
    Exton CD/SACD , 2008
    Verdi: Overture- La Forza del Destino
    Fletcher: Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra, Michael Rusinek, clarinet
    Strauss: Ein Heldenleben
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Found this gem at a thrift today. Great sound…love these purple label Victrola re-issues, I snap them up whenever I see them, no questions asked.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd and Robin L like this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sibelius Symphony No.5 with the Berlin boys. Another fine performance.

bluemooze, J.A.W. and ToddBD like this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have those recordings on CD & really enjoy them. The Concerto is one of my favorite works by Mozart.

ToddBD likes this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Lord - I bought that album more than 40 years ago.

ToddBD likes this.
  20. coopmv

When did Tacet start making these all tube recordings? I have a number of Tacet recordings but none of them are all tube recordings ...

21. coopmv

:edthumbs:

22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

NP :

[​IMG]

bluemooze and George P like this.
  23. coopmv

Is this a stereo recording?

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, and it is OOP and expensive! Though I think a 10 CD set was released of his recordings for this label, but on another label.

25. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Bach: Mass in b minor. Corboz, Lausanne Ensemble with Van Dam, Yakar, Rolfe-Johnson. Erato France.

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.