The Official Spotify Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast Thread Starter

We have lots of little threads about Spotify. I figured there're enough of us using the service that it would be worth having a catch-all thread, kind of like the Mastered for iTunes thread.

We can talk about new releases, share playlists, ask questions, vent, etc.

I'll start: It looks like Prince has put a bunch of his albums on the service - his first 20 years or so, anyway. And also his current release. I don't search for Prince, but when I booted up the desktop app, there was a banner about his new album. Seems interesting, as I always felt he was like Garth Brooks in looking down on any kind of lossy digital file release.

Maybe it's time I finally listened to Sign O' the Times.

2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Johnny Marr’s latest album Playland is available exclusively to stream on Spotify worldwide.:)

3. Scopitone

I saw that. I wonder what he's like. I have never listened to his solo stuff. Guess this is as good a chance as I will get. :p

4. Smiths22

Well for me so far playland sounds better than last year The messenger album.

5. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I would just like to know why Spotify is down here in Canada. Been trying for 20 minutes to access the web based player. Anyone else having issues?

VP

6. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Herb Alpert's new release, "In the Mood" has recently been added.

7. Scopitone

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares doesn't mention it being down, but you might keep an eye on it. Looks like Canada may be a brand new market for them? Perhaps it's just teething issues. Frustrating, but it happens.

8. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Yeah - it's new. I was one of the new "invites" and have been using the Web Player for now. Must have some issue - as I see it's an ongoing thing.

VP

9. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I've been listening to some live Jefferson Airplane shows from 1966 - what I assume were gray market releases. Sound is pretty good.

Also lots of old blues on the Smithsonian Folkways label: https://play.spotify.com/search/folkways/albums

MikaelaArsenault and head_unit like this.
  10. Scopitone

I have sampled some of those "Live at the Fillmore Auditorium" albums, and they do sound pretty good. One of these days, I will get around to listening to some of the Signe stuff.

That Folkways music looks great. Thanks for the heads-up -- saved a big playlist for later.

11. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

We didn't even have Spotify here in Slovakia until late last year. I use the free version, usually to check out new stuff. But I have to vent. When an ad comes on and I mute it or turn down the volume, Spotify pauses the ad until I un-mute it or turn the volume back up. I really don't like that. Especially when a snippet of this utterly obnoxious Maroon 5 song starts playing. I know, it's free, I shouldn't complain, but the radio is free too, and I can turn the volume down when the ads come on.

At any rate, I'm listening to the new Johnny Marr album now.

12. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Spotify arrived in Canada in July.... for a group of testers via invite. As of yesterday, it is now available to the general public nationwide.

13. Smiths22

Congratz! :righton:

14. Scopitone

John Lennon's albums are now on spotify. Must have appeared in the last week or so.

MikaelaArsenault and LarsO like this.
  15. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Dramarama's 'Cinema Verite' is not on Spotify but is on Amazon Prime. I found this disappointing.

relaxdrax and melstapler like this.
  16. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I've finally started to listen to tracks on Spotify (prompted by the Lennon releases appearing), and so far I'm loving the ability to listen to things on here! Does anyone know if the songs or albums stay on Spotify indefinitely or will they remove things from time to time?

17. RickH

My experience is that they don't frequently remove music once they have it, at least nothing like Netflix removes films on a frequent basis. I'd guess that, unless an artist or label has a dispute of some sort and requests their music be removed, then Spotify keeps everything they have.

raveoned likes this.
  18. RickH

We should start a wish list of music we want on Spotify. Here's a couple I'm still waiting for:

Tarney Spencer Band - Run For Your Life ("No Time To Lose")
    Cate Brothers - the one with "Union Man"
    Hudson-Ford - the off-shoot band of The Strawbs, this one's probably a really long shot

19. nbakid2000

Spotify doesn't remove anything, the copyright right holders removes or keeps things from being uploaded.

20. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Thank you! I hooked up a small set of amplified speakers to my laptop and I really can't complain about the sound quality through Spotify! Another benefit is that I can listen to folks my daughter likes (Gerard Way, My Chemical Romance, Sleeping With Sirens, etc.) and get to know more about them as well. If I like it, I'll save it to my queue!

21. nbakid2000

Are you paying for the subscription and using highest quality streaming settings?

@raveoned On that note, check out 'The Black Parade' by My Chemical Romance, and also check out AFI ['Crash Love' is my favorite]. The new Gerard Way solo album is pretty decent too, and it sounds nothing like My Chemical Romance. It's actually more power-pop influenced.

22. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Right now, no. I just started really listening to things on there 2 days ago, so I'm just finding my way around. I'm really leaning toward getting the subscription for those streaming settings. I'm sure it would make this an even better musical experience!

23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I've had Spotify for two months and I am enjoying it. As of this week, it has been a year since I got into subscription based streaming via the now-defunct HMV Vault service. I've tried Xbox Music and Music Unlimited in the interm but Spotify is the only one of these services that provides gapless playback.

24. Scopitone

Well worth $11 a month (after sales tax), though it sounds like you may have already discovered that fact.

Don't tell anyone, but. . .I listen to My Chemical Romance sometimes, too -- though when I want to get my emo fix I usually go with Paramore. Because I like that little Hayley.

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I discovered that "Echoes" is absent from the track list of David Gilmour's Live In Gdansk. Does anyone know the reason for this? Is it available in other territories (I'm in Norway)?