Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thanks George!

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This new set arrived today: so far, so good! Mr. T takes a broader, less urgent view of Symphony No.1 (the only one I've heard so far) than does Karajan, but its grandeur has its own rewards. Excellent sound, and the Dresden Phil plays gloriously. (The two Piano Concertos and Violin Concerto are on DVD--presumably live videos of previously released CD performances.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  3. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing on the turntable. I'm not a huge fan of Fonda's narration on the Lincoln Portrait (always preferred a more powerful voice for the real declamatory passages) but I think this Appalachian Spring is quite fine. Something about playing it for the composer that gives it a special vibe.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that "Appalachian Spring" on SACD, but I tend to play Bernstein's version (which I only have on redbook),

ToddBD likes this.
  5. john greenwood

Batiashvili will be performing the Brahms here next week with the N.Y. Phil. I was across the Plaza this evening at City Ballet. Tchaikovsky and Balanchine; it doesn't get much better.

ToddBD likes this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have quite a few of these Unitel with Karajan, Boulez, K Richter and Harnoncourt conducting various works. The conversion from the original 35mm video to the DVD format was generally well done ...

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Of course, Fonda played Lincoln in John Ford's 'Young Mr. Lincoln'.

ToddBD likes this.
  8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Enjoying these recordings by The Budapest SQ, taped 5/20-24/57 in Columbia's 30th Street Studio. Released in stereo on MS 6015.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Listening to a very old LP of Arthur Schnabel performing Beethoven Sonatas. RCA LCT 111o has sonatas #'s 9, 13 and 30. Sound is more distant and opaque than the Naxos transfers but there's more of a bell-like tone, more happening in the bottom octaves and better overall sense of flow thanks to the relative lack of interruption due to surface noise from the original shellacs. Schnabel is in particularly fine form on this disc with fewer derailments than in his performance of the finale of op. 110 or most of op. 101. And sonatas 9 and 13 are among Beethoven's quirkier works, well suited to the pianist's performing gifts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    bluemooze, ToddBD and Soulpope like this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I believe this dates to 1964. I also have these recordings on CD.

11. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

This dates from 1999 and I think is one of the first. Having previously passed on Tacet on the basis you have to draw the line somewhere financially this one has now put me in a quandary because it really is gorgeous. The string tone is superb.

12. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I have a few of these...got them at an estate sale, and the lady was a pianist and local teacher. They obviously were played a lot, but I pull them out every so often. Some truly great music going on in these discs.

Robin L likes this.
  13. john greenwood

Very pleased with myself this morning. Just finished retagging my entire music collection, so I can find what I want, the way I want, using Squeezebox, JRiver and iTunes (the latter used only to load up my iDevices). It took a lot of planning and time.

Celebrating by listening to the Academy of Ancient Music performing Boyce.

Ham Sandwich and ToddBD like this.
  14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

May I ask - beneath Brahms 2 Mandeal "Enescu" BPO - which other Brahms Symphony (as mentioned in your original post) did you acquire btw could you pls share your impressions ? Thnx !!

kevinsinnott likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I do a mean Christopher Walken.

Robin L likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Mahler: Symphony 4 - George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra - Sony. It's a shame this excellent performance was omitted from the big George Szell Edition box. I have no idea why they didn't include it.

[​IMG]

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Me neither, have the LP, which sounds a lot better than most Szell/Cleveland LPs.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Gorged myself at Rasputin's 50¢ bin, came up with a high percentage of winners including a very clean early issue of Ella's Cole Porter Songbook, two discs for 50¢ in a damaged sleeve. But more relevant to this discussion, marked at $1.95 is this 4 LP set of Brahms Symphonic Music, Wolfgang Swallisch, Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Murray Hill. Mastering and pressing was surprisingly good. Surfaces were not altogether free of clicks and ticks but they were few and far between. Lots of deadwax on long sides. Good sound, very good playing. Have heard the Second Symphony and Haydn Variations, very impressed with what I've heard so far.

[​IMG]

19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

As not being a native speaker (at least not reg english), is this a joke (?) or an "insider language" or anything else which could contribute to my request - pls enlighten me...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  20. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I also received Brahms Symphony no3, with Mandeal/Bucharest Philharmonic Orchestra. I have not yet heard it, (purposefully savoring it) but will soon and will report back.

Soulpope likes this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I was joking. When you said impression, I meant I can do a great impression of Christopher Walken.

Soulpope likes this.
  22. John S

John S Forum Resident

More cowbell!

George P likes this.
  23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

George P likes this.
  24. I've got the exact same set, if it's Beethoven's nine symphonies. Mine's mono, mint condition and just LOVE the sound. You're in for a real treat with this collection. Good catch

Soulpope likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, another excellent performance: Mahler: Symphony 6 - George Szell/Cleveland Orchestra - 49 CDs, Sony, George Szell: The Edition, disc 27

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.