Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Weird that "The Edition" would include this aircheck but not Mahler 4th.

George P likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wonder what Sony Korea's reasons were not to include the 4th. I also wonder if Sony will ever release this box or something like it (including Mahler 4) outside Korea.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

His Mahler 4 is lovely, too!

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Pllleeeeeeease.

5. John S

John S Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

It's time to watch that one again. :thumbsup:

Robin L likes this.
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD RCA BMG Japan BVCC-38294)

bluemooze, Robin L and ToddBD like this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Now playing…found another good Victrola series LP.
    [​IMG]

Also, noticed the Szell/Mahler 6 discussion…I have the following in my CD collection, it says it was recorded live in concert in October, 1967. Is that the "air check" version that was mentioned? I rather like this performance.
    [​IMG]

8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    bluemooze, Mr Bass and Robin L like this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes it is. Great performance, so-so sonics.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I recall his 1960's analog set for Philips, great playing in all three of these sonatas in his first complete Sonata cycle.

J.A.W. and Soulpope like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You're right, but the performance makes me forget the sonics :)

ToddBD likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wonderful cycle. I must admit that it took some time for Arrau's playing to convince me, so to speak.

Robin L likes this.
  13. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Apparently this is not my cup of tea. The performance is incredibly energetic, the recording a fine mono effort.

The composition? IDK, seems awfully bombastic, and few of the themes were appealing to me. I think I'd rather listen to ANY Beethoven composition in preference to this.

Working my way through the Living Presence Box set. This is CD2. 48 to go. :)

bluemooze likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Smetana's Má Vlast is clearly not to everyone's taste. It's what some here in my country call "popular classical". The wife of an English contact of mine once remarked that it made her sick to her stomach... I don't dislike the piece, but it's certainly not earth-shattering. It is a relic from an age - the 19th Century - when nationalistic feelings in Europe ran high, especially in countries that were under foreign rule like Bohemia (now the Czech Republic).

ToddBD and autodidact like this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just ordered the following twofer with an Amazon UK seller to remove it from my wish list after being there for over a year ... :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I finished listening to this set today. Overall, it's the best combo of performance and sonics of many sets that I own. Sure, a certain P&F might be slightly preferable by someone else, but this is a set that is consistently satisfying. Triton just released Book II, so I will certainly buy it.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

For me, the Bach suites don't get any better than that set. :thumbsup:

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Back from sitting in on a rehearsal by my friend, Gil Morgenstern, (and two others) of the Brahms Op. 8 Trio. The recital is tomorrow, but I have another commitment, so begged for an advance hearing.

19. coopmv

This twofer will be my version #9 for the Bach Cello Suites. I have another recording by Wispelwey and Egarr, which I feel is excellent as well ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have some British friends and as part of their secondary school curriculum, the classes studied a piece of music. His class did The Planets and it's been one of his favorites ever since. Her class did the Trout Quintet and she developed a phobia of all things Schubert. She hasn't been able to stomach any Schubert composition since. If he buys a Schubert CD, he can't let her see him bring it in the house and he can only listen when she's not there.

ToddBD likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I forget who it was, but I remember someone years back making a compelling case that the earliest LP reissues often are the most lifelike transfers, as the engineers who mastered them were still familiar with the process of recording 78s and their peculiarities. I actually have this entire series of reissues in a gigantic, won't-fit-on-any-record-shelf box designed to resemble a big, old bound book, like a big Bible. Some of the disks are badly scratched, but I bought it anyhow because it included the Schnabel edition of the Beethoven printed scores in the same package.

That said (about LP issues), I still say that nearly all the LP reissues I've heard were poor in comparison to the work that is being accomplished today.

Robin L likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hey, guess what? Microsoft just released Windows 10, and your software doesn't run on it! :whistle:

Ahem.

Seriously, congrats. As a fellow server user, I suspect that when you say "It took a lot of planning and time" you're understating matters.

24. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

You'll have fun going through that box. Of particular note, is discovering the performances of Gina Bachauer, a fantastic pianist, although I can't put my finger on exactly why I like her performances so much.

25. coopmv

I often find the performance of early music by Fretwork has this certain transcendental quality to it and this recording is no exception ...

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.