Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #60)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I bought this twofer from ImportCD's a few months ago. The twofer arrived completely crushed due to flimsy packing, though the discs were intact. I left a horrific rating for ImportCD's and will never buy from that joint again. Unfortunately, the busted jewel case is not replaceable ... :realmad:

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Also the First Stereo Emperor Concerto with Walter Gieseking and the Berlin Reichsender Orchestra,Artur Rother conductor. Anti-aircraft fire in there somewhere.

3. coopmv

Yeah and Bang Bang has been trying to copy Horowitz's style ...

4. coopmv

Ordered the following CD at Amazon US earlier today ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sorry to hear that. Amazon has it now for a very reasonable price.

6. coopmv

What can I say, France has produced many outstanding harpsichordists over the years. I also like Pierre Hantai and Blandine Rannou ...

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

As a guitarist, I'd be interested to know what you dislike about the instrument.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A reasonably clean tulip copy with dates of 1965 (Schubert) & 1966 (Beethoven) in the deadwax areas.

Robin L, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

You were lucky to get home without breaking down if you were driving a K-Car!
    Thanks for relating such an inspiring tale...it might even be true...

10. coopmv

I only identify guitar with non-classical music ...

11. coopmv

Was K-Car even worse than the LH (Last Hope) Sedan? LOL

12. coopmv

These days, I prefer to buy from any UK seller with similar price over ImportCD's due to the latter's lousy service. A few years ago, I have the Complete Mendelssohn Piano Works in a fatboy that arrived completely crushed also. While I knew the USPS should accept some blame, very flimsy packaging certainly had not helped ...

13. coopmv

I believe the LP above and the CD below share the same Symphony No. 8. I have the CD in my Schubert collection ...

[​IMG]

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A 2-LP set, recorded 1/12-14/77 & 10/17/77 at Decca's West Hampstead Studio 3.
    The singers are Emma Kirkby (soprano), John York Skinner (countertenor), Martyn Hill (tenor) & David Thomas (bass). The Consort is led by lutenist Anthony Rooley.

ToddBD, Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks, that was indeed helpful. From what I remember I think "flashy" is a good description of Horowitz's playing.

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD.

Soulpope likes this.
  17. coopmv

Nice LP. I may actually have this set in my LP collection but the tracks are probably included in the following 12-CD set, which I have ...

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

How is the CD? I enjoyed reading about how Martha, who was a judge at the Warsaw International Chopin Competition, "stormed" out of the panel when Pogo was edged out by some Vietnamese pianist for the first prize.

19. George P

It's excellent. I love what he does with the slow, quiet central sections especially.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Then you need to audition some classical guitar. Microphones like guitars in the opposite way from how microphones dislike harpsichords. No doubt you have lute recordings? Guitar can sound as "fat" and rich. Johnny Winter? Not so much.

21. John S

John S Forum Resident

What CD is it? (Image is lost.) Pogorelich doing something?

22. coopmv

I do have some lute recordings but probably not too many since it is not an instrument I actively seek out ...

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Leibowitz/RPO Eroica rivals Zinman for velocity but there's more heft from the Royals than from the Tonehallers. Amazing playing in the Scherzo but like Zinman, overall not as dramatic as many other accounts. The Seventh is very interesting—early on there's a set of clams that could have easily been covered by a re-take. My understanding is that this was intended to be a low-budget set, created with significant cost constraints.

Earlier in the week found an LP of Guido Cantelli leading the Philharmonia Orchestra in the same work, early stereo. Sound, predictably, is not a good as the 'Reader's Digest' cycle. Not as predictable, the energy level of Cantelli's direction is much lower than that of Leibowitz. Although there are some audible errors in the Leibowitz led performance, they are brief. The playing is, for the most part, very good and a far cry from the slack ensemble of the contemporaneous Krips/LSO recordings for Everest. Amazing that I have been collecting Beethoven Symphonies as long as I have without ever hearing this set before.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    geralmar and Soulpope like this.
  24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Get this, play it as often as you possibly can:

[​IMG]

Vieux Gaultier: Piéces de luth, Hopkinson Smith, Astrée.

Soulpope likes this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.