Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here.

Welcome!

This thread (and the 60 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, classical works, classical composers or classical performers.

Please discuss audio hardware and music formats in threads dedicated to those topics.

Beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly, respectful and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that continue to make this thread an enjoyable, civilized and informative experience! You guys are still the best!

:wave:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. George P

Discussion topic from the prior thread - what are some of your favorite classical guitar CDs?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: J.S. Bach: Overtures/Suites, BWV 1066-1069 - John Eliot Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists - 2 CDs, Erato

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Any comments on Daniele Gatti becoming chief conductor of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in 2016?

5. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Probably my favorites as music are Segovia's EMI recordings from the 20's and 30's. Not to negate the work of John Williams, Julian Bream, the Romeros , Los Angeles Guitar Quartet and others but there is something haunting about Segovia's earliest records, a window to a different time. I can hardly believe how many LPs—really good LPs—of the Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquín Rodrigo entered my collection this year. There's Alexandre Lagoya on Philips, the Romeros on Mercury on a Philips Netherlands pressings and Narciso Yepes on an old London pressing with Argenta directing the Spanish National Orchestra, probably my favorite of a very good batch.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Mik likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

jukes likes this.
  8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I don't know if I posted this before but here is something that doesn't come around very often. If you are in the bay area around mid January this might be something to see. i am planning to go.
    http://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2014-2015/MTT-70th-Birthday-Gala.aspx

Conductor/Performers
    Michael Tilson Thomas
    conductor

Emanuel Ax
    piano

Jeremy Denk
    piano

Marc-André Hamelin
    piano

Jean-Yves Thibaudet
    piano

Yuja Wang
    piano

Program
    Liszt
    Hexameron for Six Pianos and Orchestra

Buy Tickets
    1. Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:00pm
      Davies Symphony Hall

Buy Now Add to iCalendar
    If you would like assistance purchasing tickets for patrons with disabilities, please call the box office at (415) 864-6000.

Robin L likes this.
  9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just posting to be able to find this thread easier later. I haven't listened to much classical recently.

But this was delivered to me yesterday and I listened to it casually last night:

[​IMG]

My first impression is that these are excellent performances but I would like to hear more passion and emotion in the playing.
    The technique of both Kavakos and Wang is supreme but the interpretation seems to me a bit cold.
    In any case, this is definitely worthy of checking out if you like Brahms (and you should, if you are into romanticism in music it does not get any better than Brahms IMO).

Dan C, bluemooze and Scott Wheeler like this.
  10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Actually, I meant, the choice was interesting. There were few "bigger names", I guess, so I was wondering if there was any risk. On the other hand, it just demonstrates good, self-confident, perhaps even enterprising spirit on the part of those who did the decision.

J.A.W. likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have no idea what to expect, I'm not familiar with Gatti's work so far, that's one reason I was asking for comments. It's indeed an interesting choice. Gatti is the second Italian chief conductor of the RCO after Riccardo Chailly and in my view Chailly proved to be a pretty good choice, though his work is not to everyone's taste.

12. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Now trying to listen to Schubert's Fourth played by Kölner RSO cond. by G. Wand. Even though the orchestra sure is better than mediocre one, I've got tired of their sound couple of times. For example this cd no. 19 is recorded sometime in 1980-81 - I don't know whether it's already early digital recording or not - but had recently a digital hires remastering. Yet there's now and then such a tense (tight? strained?) sonic quality that I contemplate to swap the source... Or, it could also be the case that my ears are just too tired. On the other hand, I like the stereo image, the clarity, the separation of the instument groups etc.: it's easy to follow the music, even if the listening is sometimes slightly tiresome.

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  13. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Well, my opinion doesn't matter but I've thought him to be among the leading conductors of his generation. I meant Chailly, of course.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Gustave Holst - The Planets, any version.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

You know, it's hardly the most "profound" work out there, and I don't think it would hold up well in "heavy rotation" playback, but for sheer joi de vivre (apologies to our Francophone friends for what I probably just did to their lovely language) I'd be hard pressed to name anything better than Rodrigo's Concierto de Andaluz for four guitars and orchestra, at least as played by the dedicatee Romeros on its original Mercury release.

Robin L, john greenwood and dale 88 like this.
  16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I only have two discs by Gatti - Debussy and Tchaikovsky. However I do like them so I will be watching for his work with the Concertgebouw.

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

If we can include lute, I have four of the Hopkinson Smith discs on Astree.

On guitar, the first that comes to mind is Goren Sollscher's work. I have his Bach recordings as well as his disc of Renaissance music transcriptions.

I like Narciso Yepes disc of Scarlatti transcriptions.

Parkening Plays Bach is neither the best sounding guitar recording I own, nor the most profound recital, but it was my first (on LP) and it remains some of my favorite "comfort music."

Robin L likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love Paul Galbraith's transcriptions of Bach's solo Violin Sonatas and Partitas. He uses an 8-string guitar--one extra bass and treble string, which greatly increases his expressive range. I like Eliot Fisk a lot, but his recordings never sound too good. He often sacrifices beautiful tone for drama, which doesn't always work that well under the scrutiny of microphones. Jorge Caballero, David Russell, and Julian Bream would be safe recommendations, though.

[​IMG]

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I recently got a CD with Kurt Rodarmer playing The Goldberg Variations on guitar. Listened to it for the first time yesterday. Fascinating transcription. He uses two different custom designed guitars and recorded the parts separately and mixed them. Not something that would be possible to play live like that.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/bach-the-goldberg-variations-mw0001814305

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze, Robin L and 1 other person like this.
  20. john greenwood

And I just got this transcription. This one is on a single guitar, although there is a price to be paid in tempo. The transcription took 3 years.

[​IMG]

Mik, Robin L and Bachtoven like this.
  21. john greenwood

That reminds e of a lovely Lagoya/Presti disc I need to add to my list. It was part of an early Philips budget CD line.

Robin L likes this.
  22. John S

John S Forum Resident

I was listening to this the other day.

[​IMG]

I've mentioned before in these threads that in the late sixties I was fortunate enough to attend a pre-concert party with the Romeros in Atlanta where they were to perform with the symphony the next night. A string quartet from the symphony played, both Pepe and Angel Romero dashed off a couple of impressive etudes, and finally all four Romeros played a movement from one of the Beethoven Op.18 quartets they had transcribed for guitars. All this for about 20 people in my friend's apartment. It was a memorable evening, to be sure.

Mik, Soulpope, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  23. George P

Let me guess, for CD Pearl and Biddulph are the way to go?

Robin L likes this.
  24. George P

I just want to say thanks for the many great responses to my guitar query.

I hadn't thought of directing the discussion of this thread, but now I'm thinking that it would be great to do this with other genres/topics in the future. I also want to encourage any of you to do the same.

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have that disc, too. While the tempos are often considerably slower than a typical keyboardist would use, sometimes the actual musical lines emerge more clearly. I think he could use a bit more variety of tonal and dynamic shadings, but part of that is a limitation of the construction techniques used to make his guitar: the builder uses a lattice bracing pattern, which increased the overall volume and clarity compared to a traditional fan style bracing, but it also reduces the range of tone colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.