Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Good to know!

I think it's slightly easier to live with transistoritus than with tinnitus... although, the latter could break out of stress caused by the former?

Robin L likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Each to his/her own of course. I sampled her Mozart on Spotify and did not care for it. I'll check out her Bach though.

3. john greenwood

Twelve-tone music on Broadway:

I'm taking an intermediate music theory class. In the materials, our teacher referred to the dance music in the middle of the song "Cool" from "West Side Story." Not only s that passage twelve-tone, it's a twelve-tone fugue.

Edit - make that a twelve-tone jazz fugue.

bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which Mozart pieces did you sample and for which label were they done? She recorded several of Mozart's works, for Erato and DG.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  5. john greenwood

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty certain it was on DG. In fact, it doesn't appear as if her Erato recordings are available on Spotify (although I see some Denon recordings). They were sonatas, not concertos.

Spotify does have the solo box set.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the piano quintet from the above set. Richter is at the piano.

bluemooze, Bachtoven and Soulpope like this.
  7. john greenwood

That's the complete set of 15, right? I have those packaged completely differently. They came as 6 discs, in individual jewel cases, but sold as a set.

8. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Her Mozart piano sonatas recordings for Denon are really good imo.

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

Little Lenny could be very crafty sometimes.

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Just a delayed feedback (as me instead of posting watched yesterday evening Phillipe Jordan`s official premiere as conductor of the Wiener Symphoniker-he delivered inter alias a very captivating performance of Janacek`s "Glagolitic Mass" ....).
    (Reg Gatti) I think it`s an inspired choice, as the Concertgebouw is a top class orchestra and this combination could turn into a win-win situation aka Gatti`s experince and sensitivity steadily growin and the Concertgebouw taking up the challenge by incorporating some fresh views....saw Gatti a couple of times in Vienna and he did not disappoint....

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, the complete set. My disc containing 14 and 15 was defective, but the store is no longer open. :(

12. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

He's had a very mixed reception in the US, where he's guested a fair amount over the years. He was an apparent finalist for the music directorship here in Boston, was engaged for a number of concerts in the past couple of years by way of audition, but the gig went to Andris Nelsons.

I like his Berg record on the RCO label a lot. There's also a Youtube video of Gatti/RCO in Mahler 5. I have the impression of legato conductor who favors a singing line, perhaps at the expense of structure and rhythmic vitality.... I thought Chailly did quite well in Amsterdam, fwiw.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There's a rumour going around here that Andriss Nelsons was Gatti's main rival for the post.

SteelyTom likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Piano Trios 8, WoO39; 11, Op.121a - Beaux Arts Trio - 3 CDs, Philips, Beethoven: 11 Trios; disc 1, last couple of tracks

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hmm, that doesn't sound promising. I guess we'll have to wait and see. It seems members of the RCO, who had a say in this appointment, were quite enthusiastic about Gatti; he's been an RCO guest conductor for a number of years.

SteelyTom likes this.
  17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

They at least have a long history with him….

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now: Beethoven: Sonatas for Violin and Piano 1-3, Op.12/1-3 - Isabelle Faust and Aleksandr Melnikov - 4 CDs + 1 DVD, Harmonia Mundi France, Complete Sonatas for Violin and Piano; disc 1

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I took me some time to get used to Riccardo Chailly after Haitink, but he kind of "grew" on me; I was sorry to see him go. It seems he couldn't get along with members of the RCO anymore.

SteelyTom likes this.
  20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The earliest Angel LP I have was from the early to mid 70's. By the late 70's, I cut off all purchases of Angel and all other American labels ...

21. coopmv

I have and it was added to my Schubert collection a few years ago at your recommendation ... :righton:

22. coopmv

Back in the 80's, Zoltan Kocsis and Andras Schiff were the sensations from Central Europe. Then there was Pogorelich, I was much more impressed with them than with any of the new blood that have arrived over the past decade ...

23. coopmv

How do you like this set? I bought it last year but have yet to find time for a second listen. My first impression was very positive ...

24. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection. It was kinda embarrassing as I could not immediately figure out the movement that was used in the TV commercial used by Synchrony Financial, part of GE Capital that was recently spun off. It appears that piece used may have been a piece of the Two-Part or Three-Part Inventions.
    The style of the music could not only by JS Bach ...

[​IMG]

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7NV1/synchrony-financial-introduction

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Was anyone else at Joyce DiDonato's AMAZING performance for Loft Opera at the incredibly cool Metalworks factory that was retrofitted for an Opera Recital event in Brooklyn last night?

Man oh man is that woman amazing in every way. Singer, "actress", and human being.

We watched in awe as she left the stage at 10:10 surrounded by fans and spent the next 2 HOURS meeting and greeting everyone waiting in line to say hello and these were not just hello's she was saying. She engaged every single person in a much deeper conversation than most artists are willing to do especially after an hour long performance. It seemed like everyone in line was an old friend the way they were chatting with her. At one point she shouted out to her Label Representative asking who was ahead in the Kansas City Royals Playoff game...of course the Rep was outside seeing the Pianist Pierre Vallet to his car so I shouted out that the Royals were indeed ahead 1-0 at that point (you gotta love an opera diva who loves her some baseball!!). How much more "real" does it get???

I love that this woman in one of the most historic/traditional fields of music continues to take chances with her choice of repertoire, performance spaces, new ways to use technology etc...always exploring and sometimes pushing the boundaries!

I truly feel if any one artist can "save" or at least reinvigorate Opera she is the "chosen" one.

Was anyone else there or did you watch the live stream?

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.