The Church - any of the congregation here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by uglything, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

From their mailing list:

2. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

After Nick Cave's last live album this is the second time you get more tracks with vinyl than with cd. A new trend? This new album 'Further/Deeper' is really bashing of cd fans like me. Bwahhh!

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Listening to Grind right now!

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

By my count, the version on the video clocks in around 3:42 while the version off the Singsongs EP is around 3:18. I've hunted for years for a good copy of the video version- to me it sounds much better, more raw & the backing vocals sound much better...

5. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Yeah, agreed. What I'm wondering is whether the 7" version of "A Different Man" is the same as the video version.
    (...or, whether the 7" version differs from the Sing Songs version)

6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Well, if the 7" clocks in at the longer time, I'd say it's probably the video version. It definitely sounds to me like an earlier version of the song that was "cleaned up" & edited for the SingSongs release. I've only ever had the VHS version of the video...was it released on DVD? If so, maybe I'll track one down one day & get a good-quality audio rip for that song...

7. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Right, that's why I was hoping for a report on some specs of the 7" version.
    Yep, the "Goldfish (Jokes, Magic and Souvenirs)" was eventually released on DVD. I've got a copy of it around somewhere, but I think it's PAL format, so I've never watched it. Nearly wore-out my VHS copy, back in the early 1990's, though!

rcsrich likes this.
  8. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Volt-and-Volume likes this.
  9. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ditto. :D

Em. likes this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Stuart S and Volt-and-Volume like this.
  11. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

anyone pre-ordered the vinyl/digital/cd yet? i did the other day and have been really digging the digital download they give you of "Pride Before A Fall"….very hypnotic and gauzy, and a different Kilbey vocal style, almost nursery rhyme-esque….and very rich on the guitar front, so i don't think anyone will be let down, unless you're waiting for them to do something like "Fraulein" again, or something comparatively noisy like that!

12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm waiting to hear about a US release.

13. I'm listening to a pre-release copy of The Church's forthcoming album "Further/Deeper" as I write this, and I'd like to put every Church fan's mind at ease: It's already my favorite Church album since "Forget Yourself". No, it doesn't sound like that album, and the production values are way better, but like that album, "Further/Deeper" does sound fresh and rejuvenated.

I'm on my third listen now (headphones on, sound turned up loud), and I have a big, silly grin on my face :D.

Note! Please don't ask me for a download link. I was trusted with a pre-release copy, so I could write a review in time for the album's release.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    eelkiller, soundfanz, Em. and 2 others like this.
  14. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

That's great news thanks. I did worry about how it would turn out but looks like a winner :cheers:

15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Do you mean the production values on Further/Deeper are better, or Forget Yourself? I'm hoping the new one sounds good.

16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I liked all the scuzz on FY, but I may be the only one.

17. Better than "Forget Yourself". I like the production very much, clear but not too polished. I think it really compliments the music. It's also nice to hear a punchier drum sound.

18. "Forget Yourself" is my favorite Church album alongside "Priest=Aura", but, admittedly, the production threw me off, when I first put the CD on. I thought I was listening to a bad copy. As the album became a personal favorite, I didn't really mind the "muddy"/muddled production anymore. However, sometimes, when I listen to songs such as "Sealine", "The Theatre And Its Double", and "Telepath", I do think to myself: "I wonder how these songs would've sounded, if they had been produced more like the "After Everything Now This" album.

19. Actually, "Pride Before A Fall" is by far the most "mellow" track on "Further/Deeper"; the majority of the other songs have much more of an edge to them.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can I have a pre release copy too?!?

I promise to write a review.

21. :laughup: :unhunh:

22. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

As I wait for the new album to be released, I've got this one spinning at the moment:

[​IMG]

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

great, I love read the Steve notes of each song... I have new/unplayed copy of that.

24. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ran across a copy of an ARCD-8563 Of Skins & Heart today at Goodwill...I already have a copy, but I just couldn't leave it sitting there. :)

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

How does that spread the gospel to the heathens??????

rcsrich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.