Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I finished up this set with the tone poems. I need to take it easy on these box sets lately, as I get rather saturated by the composer in question!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great stuff. How is the remastering?

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hm. After reading several very positive reviews and one very negative one I ordered Osmo Vänskä's Sibelius cycle with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra this week. As if I don't have enough Sibelius already...

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following recording from my Liszt LP collection ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Watching this great documentary tonight.

Soulpope, bluemooze and SteelyTom like this.
  6. coopmv

No more Sibelius box for me as I already have a half dozen versions of his Complete Symphonies ...

7. coopmv

At least a second watch for you? Mine is still in the cellophane after I ordered it on your recommendation ... :hide:

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It sounds excellent: lush, warm strings; powerful tympani; and brazen brass! Well, the brass is a tiny bit thin in the tone poems, but overall this sounds superb.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Hmmm...if the positive/negative review count were reversed, then I could see ordering an alternative set! ;) I have a few Vänskä/Minnesota Sibelius discs that sound good, but it's hard to beat the BPO for playing ability and sound.

10. George P

It's my third or fourth watch.

11. coopmv

Other than works by Grieg, Mahler, Nielsen, Elgar, Vaughan-Williams and Sibelius, who lived through part of the 20th century, I do not care much for 'modern' classical music ...

12. George P

While I enjoy my Bernstein (SONY) and my Blomstedt (Decca) sets, it's my Ashkenazy set that I treasure most.

13. coopmv

It has to be over 2 hours of performance on 2 DVD's. I am actually considering getting the DVD of Pogo ...

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ashkenazy's Sibelius is my favourite, followed by Colin Davis' Boston cycle and Karajan's 1960s DG recordings of 4-7.

SteelyTom likes this.
  15. coopmv

You do not care for the 2 LSO cycles Colin Davis recorded for RCA and LSO Live? I have all three Sibelius cycles by Sir Colin ...

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the RCA LSO cycle, but to my ears the playing of the Boston SO on the Philips cycle is better. I've not heard the LSO Live recordings, but I figured I've got enough Colin Davis Sibelius with the 2 earlier cycles.

17. coopmv

I am somewhat surprised to hear your assessment. While BSO may be among the very top American orchestra after the CSO, it is not in the same league as the LSO, which is widely considered the third or fourth best orchestra in the world ...

ToddBD likes this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe, but in my opinion not on the Davis RCA Sibelius cycle. The Boston SO just sounds better to me on the Davis Philips Sibelius cycle - and I usually prefer the great European Orchestras, the Chicago SO and the Cleveland Orchestra under Szell.

ToddBD likes this.
  19. coopmv

Decent performance so far. I did not even remember I ever bought this LP. While I do not know Hungarian, gloria and hallelujah are two universal words ... :righton:

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've read more bad reviews than good of the LSO RCA cycle. Almost all of the reviews I've read of the BSO cycle are good. It's only been the last few years that I've bought nother complete cycles although I have bought individual symphonies.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There's some sloppy playing on the Davis LSO RCA Sibelius cycle. I haven't listened to it in ages, I keep going back to Ashkenazy, Davis/BSO and 1960s Karajan 4-7.

22. coopmv

I have no doubt the Philips recording engineers were better than the RCA recording engineers. This was the reason I rarely bought LP's by American labels. The crappy press quality was the number one deal breaker and the actual SQ was a close second ...

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's the quality of the orchestra's playing, not so much the recorded sound that bothers me on the Davis LSO RCA cycle.

24. coopmv

Has the RCO ever recorded the Complete Sibelius Symphonies? I also have the cycle by Neeme Jarvi on DG in SACD format.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like the couple Vanska Sibelius recordings I have. They are good performances and the SACD sound is fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.