Cheap Hot Stampers Revealed.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member Thread Starter

If you have a "hot stamper" record - one that smokes and takes no prisoners, I mean a BADASS pressing, show it here with matrix info, label or other identifying features so we can all hunt with a bit of a head-start.
    I know these records are out there, just looking for a place to show off their analog glory.
    Here is a recent find that fits the bill and then some: Traffic: Best Of Traffic UK. Matrix # ILPS 9112 A-1/B-1
    This pressing is just glorious - best I've heard these tracks sound. Found on ebay for $5.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Clanceman and SAMAUL like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I believe a big part of the point of "Hot Stampers" is that no two records sound the same. Some just have "it". The matrix numbers can often point you in the right direction, but not necessarily get you a great pressing.

I've never bought a "hot stamper", but I do believe that such a thing probably exists (and that I probably have some just by the sheer number of LPs I have). I do know that I have multiple copes of a number of records with the same matrix info and they can often sound noticeably different.

3. George Blair

I guess I've defined "hot stamper" to mean any record that instantly sounds WAY better than I've heard it before. Of course some history with the same record or set of songs is required - and it is subjective, like everything else. I'm not interested in playing a dozen copies side by side, hoping I'll still enjoy listening to the ONE when I finally find it. I see it as a more organic perchance occurrence - and when it happens you know it.

pmdclassics likes this.
  4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

That Uk Traffic Best of is already kinda famous for being great.

5. George Blair

Well, it's a fraction more famous now. Anyone else got one to share? :waiting:

6. J4son

J4son New Member

Obviously, I'm late to this thread. Here is my two cents anyway:

Rolling Stones - Some Girls
    side 1: (etched) ST RS 784079 CCC-1 (PR) Sterling(stamped) TJ
    side 2: (etched) ST RS 784080 GGG-1 PRC Sterling(stamped) TJ

The label shows that this was sold in Spain? (i.e. "Musidor B.V.") The Label also has "ST-RS-784079-RI".

Both sides sound amazing. The bass is deep and tight, while the highs are clear and crisp, and the vocals jump out of the speakers. It was purchased at a record shop for $20, but was only priced that high because it appeared untouched.

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Played on???

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That's a standard original U.S. pressing -- pressed at Presswell Records (PR) in New Jersey. It should also say "DIST BY ATLANTIC RECORDING CORP 75 ROCKEFELLER PLAZA NY NY" after Musidor B.V...

The original pressing is very good sounding (for a less than great recording). Does it have the original sleeve or the "under construction" sleeve? That might explain the value as well as the condition.

9. J4son

J4son New Member

. . . played on an old ULM Dual. I've tried a number of mid-priced new tables and have found nothing sounding better. That being said, I haven't pulled the trigger on a VPI yet, but will be glad to update once that happens.

10. J4son

J4son New Member

Yes, it is as you say "Distributed by Atlantic". No "under construction" sleeve here though.

As for the $20 price, record prices have been creeping skyward now that hipsters all want to own vinyl.
    Is the "RI" on the label to indicate the Richmond, IN plant?

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I should have said "under construction" inner sleeve - with that being visible in the cutouts. The earliest inner sleeves are worth a little more since they were replaced for legal reasons with the under construction. But the originals are not rare by any stretch.

The RI may very well mean the Richmond plant. But I thought by '78, Presswell used PRC-I in the dead wax to indicate the Richmond. I suppose I would probably go with the dead wax over the label for provenance, but who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.