Bob Dylan - The Lyrics: Since 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gst510, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I went a head and ordered from Amazon at $135..... Strange, since it was listed for $120.00
    the day before (?) Seen them go down, not up. What's up with this ?
    Generally with them, you get the lowest final price as I remember...
    I don't remember seeing the slip case in the photo the other day with the $120. price.
    Oh well, I am glad to have the slipcase for the extra $15. if it has to be.
    Somewhere along the line the book went from 1030 pages to 960 also...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Confusing is right but that press release convinces me you must be correct. That definitely makes it look like it'll include the earlier promised annotations, back from before it was retitled. But since the word "annotated" is no longer in the title, perhaps Ricks has scaled back his ambitions for how many lyrics he puts under the microscope?

3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

It had crossed my mind, if there might be some very early unpublished song lyrics included in the book..
    For instance, some of the songs he wrote at the start back at the Mckinzie home, but on second thought
    I think that was in 1961...

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, the press release includes this : "...and, from the archives, words that, till now, have not been published.”

5. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

6. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

Now the book is unavailable on Amazon. Does this mean they're sold out?

Abbey Road likes this.
  7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It looks to me from what Ricks has said that the annotations will only be "textual." In other words, they will be about the textual/recording sources and the variants. They won't be explanatory glosses, etc.

L.

8. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

I think you're probably right. I guess I'm left wondering what purpose it serves to dress it all up in a fancy package (other than to charge a premium price for it).

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Urr, it went down to 98 (124$) euros in Amazon Germany!?! I'm tempted, lord, I'm tempted!!! Saving on shipping if I combine it with my order for the Basement Tapes... I wish I had a firstborn to offer on sale! 200 smackers!! Argh!!!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

In Revolution In The Air, Clinton Heylin refers to several unpublished writings that certain people have preserved over the years. The new book will probably have the lyrics for the Lost On The River songs, too.

And Joan Baez said a long time ago that she still had a "big hunk" of Tarantula that Bob left behind at her house, so maybe some of that will be included.

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think that's exactly the point. They've no doubt run the numbers on this and figured out how many copies the could sell at a premium price to make a decent profit--and no doubt they figured that they couldn't sell as many if an inexpensive edition were available right away. As I said earlier, I'm sure they will release a less expensive edition of this at some point--probably paperback. That's when I'll buy one--but I'm hoping, in the meantime, that my University Library gets a copy so I can at least get a look at it.

This is a pretty standard move in publishing.

L.

12. Regandron

Regandron Forum Resident

Love Dylan, love the lyrics.. but 'Lyrics - since 1962'... gotta be the worst title i've ever heard in my life.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I got the complete works of Shakespeare in hard cover for $20... it wasn't signed, but still.... ;)

Tuco and Henry Please like this.
  14. Carserguev

Aaah, but does it have Two Noble Kinsmen, Sir Thomas More and King Edward III? :angel: ;)

bumbletort and gregorya like this.
  15. gregorya

Well, now I'm going to have to check... my guess is no. ;)

Carserguev likes this.
  16. Carserguev

Understandable, really, since they've only been accepted into the canon in recent years (even if only "partly written by" "written in collaboration with" etc). King Edward III is very very good though, clearly a forerunner of Henry V, which is much much better! :p
    Enough with the Bard, sorry about the digression...

gregorya likes this.
  17. gregorya

That's ok, Simon & Schuster president Jonathan Karp started it... :)

Carserguev likes this.
  18. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

Makes sense, I guess. The paperback might even be updated to include lyrics from his next album. It's a tough call for me, buying it or not. My order is in for $120. I just wish I could see a couple of sample pages, to have a better idea what I'm getting.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

John Rhett Thomas and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Would it kill them to post *one* sample page?

Not only do I want a sense of what the "annotations" are like, but I'd REALLY like to know if the (many) bad transcriptions from the earlier editions have been fixed.

What complicates this is that it's evident that SOME of the lyrics that differ from the recordings are later-day Dylan revisions. So it'll take a really clued-in editor to distinguish the errors from the genuine Dylan updates (which should be included alongside the actual lyrics). I HOPE Ricks pulled that off.

Carserguev, Nightowl and IronWaffle like this.
  21. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Daylight Bobbery

22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

He's certainly got the training, experience, and the ear to pull that off. I assume he'll be noting these errors in the notes, if they are--or if all of them are-- errors (some might be genuine variants, and maybe he'll have figured some of that out or have interesting arguments about them).

In any case, I just got word that the Music Library here on campus is ordering a copy, so I should have it to look at soon enough!

L.

Nightowl and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Better than the original title: "Chronicles: Volume Two."

On another note, besides being "limited" has anyone read anything about them being numbered? At a mere 3,000, I can't imagine it would cost S&S that much to stamp-number them. Without them being individually numbered, how can the publisher be held accountable for printing the amount they say in the press release? It's not like there is any easy way to count them once they're out there.

24. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

The fact that they have not shown a sample page makes me worried. Do they think we might be underwhelmed? I don't know. I do have the Dylan Box of Vision and love it. (Of course, I only paid $50 for it.) Sometimes, the lifetime achievement of an artist like Dylan needs to be celebrated in an over-the-top fashion. I'm okay with that. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anybody tempted by the e-book? Might be a little easier to navigate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.