Bob Dylan - The Lyrics: Since 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gst510, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

It hasn't gone to press yet -- Ricks is still busy copying our transcriptions.;)

2. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

you can find all the lyrics on the computer for free.

3. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I went to order and got the same thing, I also wonder if this really was limited and sold out or if it is being delayed.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yup, and even with some variant readings, plus chords and tablature for guitar. Hopefully, Ricks was able to deal with things more thoroughly and systematically, but we'll see.

L.

5. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Hopefully it will have all the bits he has stolen from other songs blacked out in redacted chunks and we can finally piece together an original song - or maybe even an album! - from the remains.

6. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

There is no official eBook announced... but I'm sure an unofficial one will be created.

subtr likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ahh, sorry. I saw a link on the official S&S site, as well as some others (BAM), but that link it to an older edition...

8. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

ricks, the professor that wrote that book on him? to each his own. however if i had been given the job of annotating the thing you could bet i would make it into a pager turner worth getting. i would put some good commentary on there. no professor stuff from me tho, thats not the bag im in.

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

In a book like this I'd prefer systematic textual notes to commentary. Ricks offered what he had to say by way of commentary in his other book on Dylan--if, as you say, that's the kind of thing you're into. This is about presenting the texts of the lyrics correctly and the variations systematically (or it should be, or promises to be), so it will be possible to follow the lyric from first presented version (and maybe some manuscript bits) through it's later performed/recorded and printed versions. If, again, that's the sort of thing you're into.

L.

IronWaffle and DeeThomaz like this.
  10. HominyRhodes

I would hope it would more like a clinical FBI report -- who, what, where, when. Leave the "why" stuff to Clinton Heylin and Michael Gray, et al.

11. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

those so called variations are the bootleg stuff. thats only applicable to a handful of songs. i hope ricks got good hearing as to listening to those ragged bootlegs, if not the intelligentsia is likely to open up a web page on him.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  12. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

I'll stick with my Lyrics 1962-1985. The march toward evermore sky-high prices on stuff like this takes the fun out for me.

13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

From what he says in the short interviews I've read, he's not interested in bootlegs--or at least not they're not part of his central focus--he has tried to establish the variants in the official releases. So only, for example, versions of "Blowing in the Wind" or "Knocking on Heaven's Door," etc. that are either on originally released studio recordings or officially released live ones. That along with variations (or errors) that appear in published books of lyrics, liner-notes, maybe songbooks. Variations captured on bootleg recordings might be of interest, but they're not "authorial," to use the term of art.

But, again, we'll see what he did and what it's worth when the book comes out.

L.

goombay and IronWaffle like this.
  14. HominyRhodes

I would like to know which version
    So he won't include the version of Desolation Row with "spoon-feeding Casanova the boiled guts of birds..."?:confused:

15. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

if thats the case then it will take about a page and a half. very very few songs have officially released variations.

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

Are the lyrics to all these new Basement Tapes songs going to be included? If so, good luck to whoever had to transcribe them.

On the subject of the 'deluxe' version of these lyrics - as if the $200 version isn't bad enough, what kind of chump is going to fork out $5000 for something which as soon as the next album comes out will no longer be complete? Same idiots who threw money down the drain buying the 'Complete' albums boxset, no doubt.

To the aliens who are up there monitoring this tawdry behaviour and shaking their heads in sorrow, well, I'm sorry. We blew it.

17. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I know someone who spoke to Ricks about this, but... he wouldn't give anything away!

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  18. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

i hope that just because bob adds 'just like so many times before' at the end of knockin we dont get a huge essay about the voice of the white negro attached to it.
    there is but 50 of the autographed copies. in 25 years they will balloon in value so its a good purchase if you got the bread.
    What id like to know, is what happened to that Field Mouse from Nebraska track?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  19. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Also, I hope he includes the practically all-new (and quite wonderful) lyrics to Tangled Up In Blue from the 1984 tour and the Real Live album... I think it'd my favourite version of TUIB. :hide:

20. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

and she opened up the Bible
    and quoted it to me
    Jeremhiah chapter 30
    verses 31 thru 33

I was there when he sang this back in the day, with sax and keys, best version ever. what a great tour, steve douglas on the horn.

Dflow likes this.
  21. HominyRhodes

I like the way that version sounds, but I avoid it because of the reworked lyric: "I had the worst taste in my mouth that I ever knew..." :thumbsdow

22. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

To beat this metaphor within an inch of its life--for the prices I'm hearing they better round up Dylan equivalents of Cardenio and Love's Labour's Won or it's no sale for me.

Carserguev likes this.
  23. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Nothing idiotic about people enjoying a reasonably priced set of 40 albums in uniform sound, many upgraded for the first time.

24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I purchased a page from a very early notebook that Dylan owned and used at the McKenzie home during his time there.
    It is only about a paragraph or so, with a couple lines crossed out (luckily, you can still read the verse!). at any rate they are absolutely authentic, from a well known auction company. The amazing thing is that this was one of the shortest ones in the notebook. The ones that were a few paragraphs, and filled the page or most of it went for around $10,000.00
    and this was five years ago....
    The song seemed to be something close to a title: "Come On All You Ramblers" ...
    The songs lyrics and choice of words were very much in the Woody Guthrie style.
    I say all this because there were many unpublished song lyrics Bob Dylan wrote in those early days in NYC..
    My Lord, I would be thrilled if I ever saw them in a book!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  25. HominyRhodes

Clinton Heylin lists these McKenzie manuscripts, dating to the summer of 1961 (won't be in the new book, I guess):

DOPE FIEND ROBBER
    THE GREAT CHICAGOAN
    I'LL GET WHERE I'M GOIN' SOMEDAY
    ROCKIN' CHAIR
    I HEAR A TRAIN A-ROLLIN'
    and
    RAMBLIN' GAMBLIN' BLUES

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.